You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Enough is Enough, It's Time to Welcome Michael Owen Home - by Chris Smith

tlw content

When he went to United I thought this wouldn't make a difference to many fans and that he probably thought he had nothing to lose. It was actually for that reason that I didn't feel betrayed at the time. People were still going on about him far more than they did about Torres and McManaman, at about the same stage, which is a bit strange to be honest.

I was told McManaman didn't owe us anything. That was true and neither did Owen. He'd actually given us his best years before his injury problems but people still couldn't consider him an Anfield great.

I agree with God btw: "I have a big problem with the way the fans love Suarez. The way he left... he started playing well because he wanted to leave. He wanted to join Arsenal.

Michael did far more for this club than he ever did. His antics last week showed no respect for the club whatsoever. Where was his respect last week? I have a big problem with him"

I listened to the whole podcast yesterday.  Carragher has been really good on Sky on the whole despite the weird agenda some Liverpool “fans” like to push but this podcast series Is another level and has shown how good an interviewer he is.  There hasn’t been one I haven’t enjoyed.  This was easily the best one.

For me I have no problem with players running down their contracts.  The contract is signed by both parties and both know where they stand.  If you extend like Zaha did then you’re fucked and aren’t choosing where you want to go.  If you run it down then you’re taking the risk of running out of form like Eriksen and losing your sharpness and place in the team never mind the risk of injury with all that brings.  I don’t believe that Rushie sabbatical talk either.  Revisionist shite from Owen which then brings into question a lot of other things he says.  He went because it looked like the club was going backwards and if he stayed another season or two then the move would never had happened.  Just own it.

I’ve always said I just think he had no balls when it came to saying to Real it’s Liverpool or nowhere and he has to live with that.  He was thinking about the World Cup which to be fair he admits.  The one thing which made me feel for him and maybe softened to him a bit was the bit where he said his wife was crying all the time wanting to go home.  That must have put pressure on him.  The people who booed him and had a go at him then I think always had a bit of a problem with him.  Carra says that those people would have softened in time and I agree with him.

It’s the United move that was the nail in the coffin for the majority.  These cunts sing about Liverpool every game and they’re not singing about great games they beat us in or trophies they won.  They sing and chant all sorts of vile shite about Hillsborough, the city and scousers and it’s game in game out.  They invented this “bin dipper” phrase that seems to just be used by everyone now.  I seen somebody put on twitter in response to famous fan or something saying to forgive Owen and they said “but he signed for our rivals” as if that’s the problem and he’s completely missing the point.  If Owen signed for Everton I don’t think people would have been arsed or any other club we have competed with bar maybe Chelsea for the same reasons.  He knows what these cunts behave like and he still did it anyway.  He probably did it because he felt like he wasn’t going to be a legend here anyway but well I’m sorry that was your assumption and the mistake you made.

It’s not about forgiveness.  You’re not a legend in my eyes and nothing can change that now.  I don’t like Suarez either or Torres.  I feel sorry for Carragher because you can hear the strain in his voice for his mate but he made his bed so he can lie in it.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Not enough gets made of how bad David James was for us. The amount of mistakes he used to make and games he cost us.
That was Evans one big error not upgrading him. 

Are you drunk?  People still call him calamity James now and he’s a complete joke.  Everyone is fully aware of how poor him and the defence were for those years.

He was amazing for us but has used up his credit. I don't agree with abusing him but i also don't agree with letting him back into the club in any professional capacity.

He chose real and utd. He cant have it all. Calling utd "we" and that manc derby - fuck that. 

It sounds like he didnt say liverpool or nothing either. It's all about brand Owen and has been for a very long time. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tlw content said:

I can’t scream this loud enough, but to Hell with Luis Suarez. 

This bloke went on strike to force a move to Arsenal (to Arsenal), bit opponents and racially abused others. Our reputation is yet to fully recover from our association with that ‘loveable little scamp,’ as evidenced by the recent, long overdue apology to Evra and the coverage it received. I feel ashamed for supporting him at the time. 

….and this was where I stopped reading. Not because I’m supporting Suarez. As far as I’m concerned you can hate him as much as you like. No, I stopped reading because this sentence shows me you don’t know what you’re talking about.

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

The club's social media wished McManaman happy birthday today. 

It's just plain weird the way they act as though Owen never played for us. 

Negged for following the club on social media.

Seriously, it surprises me the club don't do the same for Owen. I don't know who they think they're impressing by ignoring him.

• Upvote 1

My feelings towards him are of indifference now really.

Great player when he played for us and probably did get overused when coming through and rushed back from injuries.

If he has done this interview to help get rid of the abuse he gets at Anfield then fair enough, whilst i understand those who do, its not something i would do myself.

But the one thing he can't do is rewrite history.  He deliberately ran down his contract and strung the club along with lies.

When he had the times to rejoin the club,  at the front of his mind was playing for England not his desperation to rejoin Liverpool (and Carra nails him for this), he should have dug his heels in at Madrid and he would have got his move back, but all he was worried about was his England place.

The final nail in his coffin was the move to Them. All this talk of "It was Hull or United" is bollocks and he knows it. There is a reason nobody moves between the two clubs because the hatred runs deep, and once you pull on that shirt especially after knocking the club back, you have no right to tell our fans how you should be remembered.

It must stick in the throat that at every club he has played for there is barely any affection towards him.

• Upvote 4

He was fucking absolutely brilliant for us. I have some niggles about his leaving and all that, but he doesn't piss me off half as much as McManaman does for some reason. Life's too short and they should both be given respect for how good they were when they played for us.

• Upvote 1

No real animosity towards Owen , he made mistakes but I'm not really bothered  , he was never really loved by fans other than for his talent

Carragher spitting at some kid in a car was the most embarrassed I've ever felt as an LFC fan - totally disgusting episode

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

….and this was where I stopped reading. Not because I’m supporting Suarez. As far as I’m concerned you can hate him as much as you like. No, I stopped reading because this sentence shows me you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Nah, it's time people for their heads out of the sand on that front. He did it. He was found guilty of doing it. Evra didn't handle it greatly, but as a society we've kinda moved past people telling minorities who feel they've been abused that the particular word, or the expression "my little black friend" isn't racist or wasn't meant in a certain context. 

How some people can continue to support him is beyond me. 

• Downvote 3

I've forgiven him and glad to welcome him back. I was there in Cardiff to see him win the Cup for us on a day when we were battered by a superior side until he volleyed an equaliser from nowhere and then set off on that long sprint towards our end, making a complete arse of the invincible Arsenal defence before finding the net from an impossible angle to spark off jubilant mayhem all around me. 

I was pissed off when he left for Madrid so late in the window but I also recall standing on the Kop cheering when news came in that he had scored for Real, there was still goodwill then. It was clear as day that he wanted to come back but we were badly run back then and I blame Parry as much as anyone for somehow not clinching the deal. 

Signing for United was another nail in the coffin of his LFC support but since he retired he has been nothing but respectful towards our club and has now opened up on his feelings, so I applaud him for that. Any ex-player (especially if they have left great memories for us on the pitch) who goes on to support the club after he has finished his playing career is welcome so far as I'm concerned. Life's too short and bitterness is for others, he made mistakes but owns them so I'm with Carra and Chris Smith.

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Chris said:

Nah, it's time people for their heads out of the sand on that front. He did it. He was found guilty of doing it. Evra didn't handle it greatly, but as a society we've kinda moved past people telling minorities who feel they've been abused that the particular word, or the expression "my little black friend" isn't racist or wasn't meant in a certain context. 

How some people can continue to support him is beyond me. 

Can't agree with this Chris. I'm not going over the kangaroo court stuff again nor entering into a racism argument again but I do think it's culturally imperialistic for English speakers to set down rules for what or what isn't acceptable in other cultures and languages. Context is everything and surprisingly enough other cultures have different contexts. Suarez is a bit of a twat though. Not as big a twat as Evra mind. 

Other than than that I enjoyed the article and I agree it's time to bury hatchets and treat him with the respect shown to our other greats. He made his decisions and most of them were wrong but he's paid for that. 

I just wish he'd stop referring to the Mancs as "we". Football is tribal and while it is possible to have respect for other tribes you can only belong in one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

• dave u unpinned this topic