Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Google Maps Co-Ordinates

Read Marching Powder. Its a great read. Not based in French Guyana but quality story.

Papillon seems mostly made up - I prefer Dry Guillotine for tales from French Guyana. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Read Marching Powder. Its a great read. Not based in French Guyana but quality story.

Papillon seems mostly made up - I prefer Dry Guillotine for tales from French Guyana. 

Seems it but a lot of it appears to have been true although the problem people had with him was the level of detail he remembered which seems like he did embellish quite a bit. 

I'll have a look at that ,ate, have you read The Damage Done? 

6 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Just had a look online for that, there's no Kindle edition and the hardback is £50.

Marching Powder is very good.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thanks man. I assume you've read Papillon??? 

No, heard a lot of talk it's fictional so that put me off.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

I believe a lot of it. Certainly the escapes and places he went, and the solitary confinement. Tbh I think it seemed a lot of people who were on the islands with him were a bit bitter because when he escaped from the islands they lost a lot of privileges. Then of course he went on to have a good life and release a book that will have made him rich. 

For me its the best book I've ever read. And that includes Roger Red Hat. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Seems it but a lot of it appears to have been true although the problem people had with him was the level of detail he remembered which seems like he did embellish quite a bit. 

I'll have a look at that ,ate, have you read The Damage Done? 

Yeah - I really enjoyed it. Marching Powder is better though.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

You beautiful bastard.

Let me know what you think of it.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I think the stories he tells are real - they just didn't all happen to him, they happened to a number of other prisoners. Maybe tales told in the lock ups at night. I am obviously just speculating - but based on stuff I have seen and read online.

• Upvote 1

On 28/07/2021 at 22:54, Jennings said:

Let me know what you think of it.

Do you ever listen to Shaun Attwoods podcast, he has a lot of guests that have been in Thai, Japanese, other prisons. Absolutely terrifying.

Unbroken is a other great survival story, if you haven't read that. Nothing more inspiring than people who endure absolute hell but make it through to the other side. 

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Unbroken is a other great survival story, if you haven't read that. Nothing more inspiring than people who endure absolute hell but make it through to the other side. 

Yeah - I loved that one!!

11 hours ago, Elite said:

Do you ever listen to Shaun Attwoods podcast, he has a lot of guests that have been in Thai, Japanese, other prisons. Absolutely terrifying.

Not really listened to his podcasts...seen him as a guest on the Geordie one and the James English one.

Attwood's Hard Time book is great. Not read the others.

James English's podcasts are good. This one is good - it's with a prisoner and a guard.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Mate, try Miracle in the Andes. Really inspiring stuff.

Yeah I listen to James English as well he has some good guests.

I'll check that Miracle in the Andes out as well, got too many books to read now!

On 28/07/2021 at 20:34, Jennings said:

Marching Powder is one of my favourite books. Top 3 easy. That said I’ve only read 5

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Marching Powder is one of my favourite books. Top 3 easy. That said I’ve only read 5

Read Unbroken. 

The whole Karma thing is definitely a load of bollocks, well in the case of the Japanese war criminal that tortured everyone and didn't receive any punishment.

Just now, Elite said:

Read Unbroken. 

The whole Karma thing is definitely a load of bollocks, well in the case of the Japanese war criminal that tortured everyone and didn't receive any punishment.

Will have a look mate. Nice one

Fantastic.

That Iran dam infrastructure is a civil engineer's wet dream.

The hotel in Colombia looks nice. I'm sure a few things have happened there.

6 minutes ago, neko said:

Fantastic.

That Iran dam infrastructure is a civil engineer's wet dream.

The hotel in Colombia looks nice. I'm sure a few things have happened there.

Absolutely on both counts. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

There's an absolutely brilliant travel book based in Santa Marta, the town next to that hotel

The Fruit Palace by Charles Nicholl

Proper eye opener

• Upvote 1