You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Google Maps Co-Ordinates

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Read Marching Powder. Its a great read. Not based in French Guyana but quality story.

Papillon seems mostly made up - I prefer Dry Guillotine for tales from French Guyana. 

Seems it but a lot of it appears to have been true although the problem people had with him was the level of detail he remembered which seems like he did embellish quite a bit. 

I'll have a look at that ,ate, have you read The Damage Done? 

6 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Read Marching Powder. Its a great read. Not based in French Guyana but quality story.

Papillon seems mostly made up - I prefer Dry Guillotine for tales from French Guyana. 

Just had a look online for that, there's no Kindle edition and the hardback is £50.

Marching Powder is very good.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

No, heard a lot of talk it's fictional so that put me off.

I believe a lot of it. Certainly the escapes and places he went, and the solitary confinement. Tbh I think it seemed a lot of people who were on the islands with him were a bit bitter because when he escaped from the islands they lost a lot of privileges. Then of course he went on to have a good life and release a book that will have made him rich. 

For me its the best book I've ever read. And that includes Roger Red Hat. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Seems it but a lot of it appears to have been true although the problem people had with him was the level of detail he remembered which seems like he did embellish quite a bit. 

I'll have a look at that ,ate, have you read The Damage Done? 

Yeah - I really enjoyed it. Marching Powder is better though.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

You beautiful bastard.

Let me know what you think of it.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

No, heard a lot of talk it's fictional so that put me off.

I think the stories he tells are real - they just didn't all happen to him, they happened to a number of other prisoners. Maybe tales told in the lock ups at night. I am obviously just speculating - but based on stuff I have seen and read online.

• Upvote 1

On 28/07/2021 at 22:54, Jennings said:

Let me know what you think of it.

Do you ever listen to Shaun Attwoods podcast, he has a lot of guests that have been in Thai, Japanese, other prisons. Absolutely terrifying.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Unbroken is a other great survival story, if you haven't read that. Nothing more inspiring than people who endure absolute hell but make it through to the other side. 

Yeah - I loved that one!!

11 hours ago, Elite said:

Do you ever listen to Shaun Attwoods podcast, he has a lot of guests that have been in Thai, Japanese, other prisons. Absolutely terrifying.

Not really listened to his podcasts...seen him as a guest on the Geordie one and the James English one.

Attwood's Hard Time book is great. Not read the others.

James English's podcasts are good. This one is good - it's with a prisoner and a guard.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Unbroken is a other great survival story, if you haven't read that. Nothing more inspiring than people who endure absolute hell but make it through to the other side. 

Mate, try Miracle in the Andes. Really inspiring stuff.

On 28/07/2021 at 20:34, Jennings said:

Marching Powder is one of my favourite books. Top 3 easy. That said I’ve only read 5

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

Marching Powder is one of my favourite books. Top 3 easy. That said I’ve only read 5

Read Unbroken. 

The whole Karma thing is definitely a load of bollocks, well in the case of the Japanese war criminal that tortured everyone and didn't receive any punishment.

Just now, Elite said:

Read Unbroken. 

The whole Karma thing is definitely a load of bollocks, well in the case of the Japanese war criminal that tortured everyone and didn't receive any punishment.

Will have a look mate. Nice one

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

There's an absolutely brilliant travel book based in Santa Marta, the town next to that hotel

The Fruit Palace by Charles Nicholl

Proper eye opener

• Upvote 1