You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Southampton 0 (Feb 1 2020)

tlw content

11 hours ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

The disallowed goal was one of the most scintillating pieces of play I have seen in ages; proper out of your seat open-mouthed stuff. I'm not sure the footage is available anywhere online to watch again?

Would have matched McDerrmott's header v Spurs, if it had counted.

And I can't say higher than that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rb14 said:

As you know, I couldn't make it to this one but my mate Dave popped out of our regular spot (the Champagne Charlie Paisley Lounge) to text me saying "Terrible first half." I was sufficiently worried about the game and Sampton's threat that I studiously avoided the Beeb Live Scores and didn't even think about streaming it. So his text confirmed my fears. Thank goodness we got it done properly after the break. 

What I want to know is, why do we need half time to tell these boys they're not getting shit right. I mean none of them is stupid, and with bright buttons like Becker, Virge, Robbo and Hendo on the pitch, how long does it take to go "Guys, this isn't working"? It's not like the first time our first half has been poor.

I think in this instance perhaps, the first half was mostly down to Southampton just playing really, really well.

10 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

A number of references to that Nottingham Forest unbeaten run we're closing in on. That was some achievement in its day, given squad sizes and the like...

Phenomenal achievements by Clough 1976 to 1980.

From second division to Champions at first attempt, followed by European Cup at first attempt, then retaining it.

(And that's with a regional little club, Notts Forest - and this after turning another regional little club, Derby, into Champions earlier in the 70s)

Absolutely phenomenal was Clough at Forest - not least to intrude on Bob Paisley's dominance in such a fashion at the time.

• Upvote 1

Been thinking this for a while, but I think a much under-appreciated element of our success is the analysis team and how prepared we are before games and then how we can change things at half time because of it. 

We go into games knowing what the opponent are going to do and how to combat / exploit it. We're great on set-pieces at both ends of the pitch in part as a result of this, and we can now deal with whatever tactics we come up against, whether its teams who sit back or teams who want to press us or whatever.

Sometimes it needs changing at half time, such as at the weekend, but Klopp said that his boy Pete had three examples of what Southampton were doing and that if we had dome something slightly different we'd have ripped right through them. They showed the players those clips at half time and in the second half thats exactly what we did, we ripped right through them time and again.

We're the best prepared team int he league and we're the best at making adjustments on the fly.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, dave u said:

Ok that's probably the case then. Have we seen anyone sent off for a foul in the box this season?

None spring to mind. Deliberate handball is defo still a red isn't it?

Was of the same opinion re double jeopardy but then saw Luiz red v Chelsea, so now have no idea again. 

Another great report Dave can’t wait to read them all back at season end!!

The windy conditions, particularly at the Kop end (based on my observations only), seemed to undermine our wish to play out from the back. Soton had the same issues in the second half when we had, clearly, been told to get the ball forward more quickly and let them make mistakes.

But I can't remember an opposition team having as many corners as Soton did; they are a half decent side that plays without fear.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Been thinking this for a while, but I think a much under-appreciated element of our success is the analysis team and how prepared we are before games and then how we can change things at half time because of it. 

We go into games knowing what the opponent are going to do and how to combat / exploit it. We're great on set-pieces at both ends of the pitch in part as a result of this, and we can now deal with whatever tactics we come up against, whether its teams who sit back or teams who want to press us or whatever.

Sometimes it needs changing at half time, such as at the weekend, but Klopp said that his boy Pete had three examples of what Southampton were doing and that if we had dome something slightly different we'd have ripped right through them. They showed the players those clips at half time and in the second half thats exactly what we did, we ripped right through them time and again.

We're the best prepared team int he league and we're the best at making adjustments on the fly.

Spot on, Dave , and the fact that it takes so much out of teams keeping up with us physically , and is almost impossible to keep up at the same level for 90 minutes, so the gaps appear more frequently as teams tire. This is also enhanced by the deflation aspect when we eventually score and the sense of ' Here we go ' becomes pervasive.

On 04/02/2020 at 11:26, dave u said:

Emmanuel Petit was on French tv as a pundit for the post  game analysis. He said he had never seen something close to that. A team so in control of everything. He was obviously asked about the invincibles. He said there was no way to compare, they had been luckier and not that dominant.

Christophe Dugary, who’s a bit the French Roy Keane, then said Man city had been great but  so boring, and Klopp’s Liverpool was so exciting to watch.

It is well understood on here the French are cunt, but I thought these French remarks  were  worth sharing though.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 03/02/2020 at 17:26, dave u said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Long wouldn't have been sent off had the pen been awarded as they changed that rule. You only get a red if it's outside the box and therefore no pen is awarded. If its in the box, the pen is deemed sufficient punishment and it's only a yellow.

On 03/02/2020 at 17:29, aws said:

I think you might be wrong on this one. I believe it's still a red card if you don't make a genuine attempt to win the ball. 

On 03/02/2020 at 17:30, Anubis said:

Mr Sinton is indeed correct. So he would have taken the Long Walk.

Little Judge Dredd humour there.

On 03/02/2020 at 17:31, dave u said:

Ok that's probably the case then. Have we seen anyone sent off for a foul in the box this season?

None spring to mind. Deliberate handball is defo still a red isn't it?

On 03/02/2020 at 17:33, aws said:

I'm pretty sure I saw someone sent off on MoD a few weeks ago but can't remember which game. 

On 03/02/2020 at 18:26, Anubis said:

It was a Sideshow Bob against Chelsea.

On 04/02/2020 at 10:38, Punchy said:

Was of the same opinion re double jeopardy but then saw Luiz red v Chelsea, so now have no idea again. 

Another great report Dave can’t wait to read them all back at season end!!

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1231524/David-Luiz-red-card-why-Luiz-sent-off-Chelsea-vs-Arsenal-Premier-League

Abraham took the ball around Gunners goalkeeper Bernd Leno before Luiz brought him down, with Chelsea being awarded a penalty.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) rules state players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance are to receive a yellow card.

However, deliberate fouls such as “holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball” will still incur a sending off.

Referee Stuart Attwell did not send see Luiz's challenge as an honest attempt to play the ball and showed the Brazilian the red card.

• Upvote 1