You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Southampton 0 (Feb 1 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

I don’t even know what to say any more. Could this season possibly go any better? It feels as though we increase our lead every week. When we led by 14 or something not so long ago, there were still fans not wanting to count their chickens. Understandable, but not really based on anything other than an irrational fear of what has happened before. 

At no point this season have Manchester City looked like a team capable of going on one of their trademark winning runs, and at no point this season (Old Trafford and Villa Park apart) have we looked like losing a game. 

The more likely scenario back then wasn’t us being caught, it was us increasing our lead. And lo and beyond, here we are 22 points clear. And the scenario hasn’t changed. It’s far more likely we extend the lead than see it reduced. It’s not a matter of will we win the title, it’s just how soon will we win it.

We’re making it look easy but it really isn’t. Just because we can win games when not playing at our best doesn’t mean that this shit is easy. If it was easy, a side as accomplished as Man City wouldn’t have lost six games. It’s not easy doing what we do. Winning games in the Premier League isn’t as routine as we make it look. Just ask Arsenal, who have won only six games all season.

The claim that this is the weakest league in years doesn’t hold water. Most of the traditional ‘big six’ aren’t as strong as usual, but even if they were they’d still be miles behind us. Only Man City in their ‘Centurion’ season would be capable of keeping it close, but don’t tell me that the standard of the rest of the league is any worse now than it was. Even the shite teams have squads packed with international players.

Klopp said prior to this game that the two teams you don’t want to face at the moment are Wolves and Southampton. I’d probably add Sheffield United to that too, but you can see why he said that. Southampton are a right fucking handful at the moment. They play with now fear and hold nothing back.

In that first half they gave us all we could handle and they probably should have led at the break. They were more positive than any side we’ve faced all season. They pushed high up the pitch, they played with two strikers and two out and out wingers and it felt like they had about 20 attempts at goal in that first half, half of them in the last five minutes when they just kept taking the ball off us and peppering our goal.

We definitely contributed to our own problems but I don’t want to take anything away from Southampton’s performance because it was their aggressive pressing that forced us into those mistakes. Ultimately it counted for nothing and they lost 4-0, but we are so good these days that no matter what the opposition do at Anfield they’re almost certainly going to lose anyway.

Sitting back doesn’t work and although the Saints ultimately got hammered, their positive approach could easily have yielded better results on another day. And it definitely would have against another team. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

I disagree about Friend, I thought he lived down to expectations and got plenty wrong, in both directions. How he didn't give the penalty for the foul on Bobby is staggering - equally staggering is the fact thta VAR didn't overturn it....but there's a definite trend of more junior officials not wanting to dorrect their more experienced brethren. The other factor to mention here is that Long should not only have conceded the penalty, but he shoud also have been sent off in that he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity without making any attempt to win the ball. Which is still a red card.

I thought the wind might have been a factor in the first half - it was really gusty outside the ground. It looked as if it made some of our long diagonals that we use to break the press a bit more unpredictable and therefore less effective. I was praying for us to get to half time without conceding as I had every confidence Klopp would sort us out tactically, conditions-wise, whatever. So it proved, but we got a bit lucky with the Ings/Fabinho situation. 

Love Ingsy - when he was with us those last few months and getting his rehab done with the u23s, his attitude was exemplary - 100% in every match and clearly mentoring the younger lads. Top man.

• Upvote 2

"Irrespective of how he’s playing, the one thing about Mo is he continually tests the defence by those runs. He never stops, and he’s rarely given a rest either. He’s an incredible physical specimen."

PEDs.

"Our lads aren’t always the biggest, but they’re all physically very strong and they’re all quick. Minamino will get there, but it probably won’t be until after he’s had pre-season with us."

PEDs.

"The good thing is that our first game back is at bottom club Norwich and we should have a couple more of the injured lads back for that. The squad is going to be back at full strength just as the Champions League resumes again, so Klopp will have the luxury of mixing things up a bit to keep everyone fresh."

And more PEDs.

• Upvote 5

Unless I'm mistaken, Long wouldn't have been sent off had the pen been awarded as they changed that rule. You only get a red if it's outside the box and therefore no pen is awarded. If its in the box, the pen is deemed sufficient punishment and it's only a yellow.

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Long wouldn't have been sent off had the pen been awarded as they changed that rule. You only get a red if it's outside the box and therefore no pen is awarded. If its in the box, the pen is deemed sufficient punishment and it's only a yellow.

I think you might be wrong on this one. I believe it's still a red card if you don't make a genuine attempt to win the ball. 

Just now, aws said:

I think you might be wrong on this one. I believe it's still a red card if you don't make a genuine attempt to win the ball. 

Mr Sinton is indeed correct. So he would have taken the Long Walk.

Little Judge Dredd humour there.

• Upvote 1

As you know, I couldn't make it to this one but my mate Dave popped out of our regular spot (the Champagne Charlie Paisley Lounge) to text me saying "Terrible first half." I was sufficiently worried about the game and Sampton's threat that I studiously avoided the Beeb Live Scores and didn't even think about streaming it. So his text confirmed my fears. Thank goodness we got it done properly after the break. 

What I want to know is, why do we need half time to tell these boys they're not getting shit right. I mean none of them is stupid, and with bright buttons like Becker, Virge, Robbo and Hendo on the pitch, how long does it take to go "Guys, this isn't working"? It's not like the first time our first half has been poor.

Asking for a friend. 

PS. I too enjoyed the Ings love-in at the end. I've said elsewhere, I'd have loved him to stay. I like Div, but he'd be my backup to Ings. 

• dave u unpinned this topic