You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jan 25-31 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Jan 25:

Charlie Adam says Hendo should be player of the year. Now it’s fair to say that what Charlie Adam says about the Reds doesn’t carry much weight, but I thought this was interesting just because there really seems to be momentum building towards this now. 

Half the reason players end up being put up for these awards is because the voters are often swayed by public and media opinion. The more people in the media discussing it, the more likely it is to happen. Adrian Durham has been banging the drum on Talksport and I’ve seen a few journalists also suggesting it. 

The maddest part for me is that the first person I heard putting Hendo’s name forward was my Dad during one of our home games several weeks ago. He said Hendo should be player of the year but he’s got no chance because it always goes to the goalscorers or fair players.

Thing is, Virg got it last year so maybe the tide is turning on that. Hendo is a really popular figure with his peers and also with most of the national media. He might win it you know. And if he did, I don’t think there’d ever have been a more worthy individual to get it, as he’s such a fucking great lad.

Layton Stewart bags a hat-trick for the u18s today. He’s a big talent who is apparently really highly thought of within the club, but it;s interesting that unlike some of his team-mates he isn’t being fast tracked into the 23s. In fact, rather than rush him they went out and signed Joe Hardy to replace Brewster. Stewart is class though, defo one to keep an eye on.

Sunday Jan 26:

Shrewsbury 2 L 2 That was everything the Everton game wasn’t. The senior players didn’t lead the way today, they let the kids down. The kids were hit and miss. Jones was good, Williams was alright, Elliott very quiet, Pedro had a great first half and a quiet second, while Larouci struggled.

Still we were 2-0 up and that should have been game over. Then Matip, Lovren and Fabinho took it upon themselves to continually invite pressure by arsing about by their own box and giving Shrewsbury hope. I put this result 100% on those three. Origi was shite too but he’s not the reason we blew a 2-0 lead.

Klopp must have been so pissed off that he had to throw Bobby and Mo on there to try and win it late. They should have been given the day off completely, but you can maybe see now why they weren’t. 

Now Klopp is insisting that he and the squad will take no part in the replay and it’s going to be an Aston Villa type situation with Critchley and the kids taking on Shrewsbury. I get that he’s trying to make a point, but it doesn’t really sit right. I’m not especially arsed either way, but I think he’s got this wrong.

I’m all for Hendo, Virg, Bobby, Mo and the rest getting a week off, but Klopp should be here and so should some of the squad players who need playing time, not least those who were so fucking shite today.

He’s going to get shit from the usual talking heads but for once it’s difficult to argue his corner. Anyone trying to suggest an FA Cup replay should take priority over the players getting a break can fuck off. That’s just a stupid take and I’ll fight our corner all the way on that.

If someone wants to say that Klopp should be taking charge of the game and that the likes of Keita, Shaqiri, Lovren, Matip, Lallana etc should all be playing, then that’s at least worthy of a discussion. I can see why Klopp wants to honour the break and why he doesn’t want to operate the squad and have some stay behind.

I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I can see the logic in his thinking. I’d rather he was there for the game but only if he’s going to be picking some senior players. If it’s a team like the one that faced Villa then there’s no point him being there as they aren’t his players. They’re Neil Critchley’s players. He works with them every day so if that’s the team that faces Shrewsbury then Critchley may as well be in charge and Jurgen can go and sit on a beach somewhere with a few beers.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Didn't know that about Ings he's obviously a top bloke who could have picked up a huge wedge for the odd game here and there but decided he wanted to play football 

You could tell at the end of the game yesterday that he's well thought off here 

Top report again Dave 

• Upvote 2

Right I've no idea what THAT "photo of Stevie's birthday" thing is all about. 

You had a 50/50 chance of calling the Spurs result. OK, maybe 1 in 3. You got it. Whoopyfuckingdoo. Call the next one, Dave Lawro-Usher. 

And that vid of all the boys giving out the love to Ings is fab. Sorry but I'd have preferred him to stay and perhaps Div as his backup. 

49 minutes ago, dave u said:

...you were probably on a Thai beach weren't you?

As it happens I was in a cave, helping out some poor Thai lads who'd had gone missing. Was I pleased to see them. 

And no, I've never seen that picture before. Ta la. 

"Danny Ings is a top fella though and I hope he scores every week from now until May. Except this week. And even then, as long as we’re scoring three or four then I don’t even mind if he slots tomorrow because I’d be made up if he won’t he Golden Boot."

I bet that Danny Ings walked off the pitch yesterday in total disbelief that he hadn't scored a couple.  He was a threat all afternoon.

How stupid is that Tranmere fan, suggesting a 10 point deduction? If there's any legitimacy to the wider point, it's that Klopp is perceived to be showing disrespect to the FA Cup. (The only manager in the history of the FA Cup to ever have done that, so, obviously, he's fair game) With that in mind, only the FA could then censure him with regard to their own competition, which unsurprisingly, is not operated on a points basis. A 10pt deduction in the Premier League, whose rules and winter break Klopp is adhering, having himself called for it, for a perceived transgression in another body's competition, would be the most ridiculous and unenforceable punishment ever. Gobshite!

Oh, to see a statue of Big Div heading past Pickford! Hahaha! Kenny would be the most obvious next one, and it should definitely happen, in exactly the celebration pose described. 

"The fallout continues. The Reds set ticket prices at a sensible level but understandably lower league clubs don’t like the precedent being set because less gate receipts means a smaller share for Shrewsbury. Interestingly, it isn’t Shrewsbury who are complaining. 

In fact, their boss said he fully understands Klopp’s actions (and having watched him explain his position in today's press conference, so I do now and I'm fine with it). Of course, the prospect of a money spinning tie at Chelsea should they beat our team of kids may well be a contributing factor in Sam Ricketts' support, but the point is, Shrewsbury aren’t being dicks about this even if others are."

Hold the back page - some late moans coming from Salop:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/02/03/sam-ricketts-shrewsbury-town-missing-out-on-fa-cup-windfall-at-liverpool/

But it doesn't seem to have deterred the supporters as all 8000 tickets have been sold for tonight.

On 04/02/2020 at 14:39, Razoray said:

They wouldn't have "achieved" a replay if Klopp had played a full side in the 1st game. 

So basically, they like it when you play an under strength team but not too under strength that they lose money. It's not fucking Goldilocks. 

I’ve been tearing my hair out wondering why nobody else is calling them out on this.

They had two chances to beat us, when we put out a team of kids (albeit those same kids were good enough to beat Everton). They’ve had two paydays - one from the telly, the second from going to Anfield. Their players have had the best exposure they could possibly have hoped for (and two goals against Liverpool will add far more to Jason Cummings’s value than a dozen extra caps for Scotland would). And if they’d been good enough to beat the kids then they’d have had another payday against Chelsea. 

I don’t see how or where they’ve been hard done by. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic