You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (H) FA Cup - 4/2/2020 - 19:45

Bjornebye

12 hours ago, skaro said:

Me too.

Personally, I think it falls into the category of "interpretation" of phases, rather than cut and dried.

But what would I know.

I think it is just interpretation. If it's one continuous attack and an offside player touches it (or interferes) it's offside. But if the attack falters and say it's passed back to start a new attack then that's a new phase. I think. 

4 hours ago, No2 said:

In my last 3 visits to Anfield I haven't seen a Liverpool player score a goal. I have seen plenty before that but that goal last night is right up there. The joy from the pitch and stands was a pleasure to be part of, those boys were cheered on like everyone in the ground was related to them.

It was brilliant watching them lads absolutely own the game and show some real balls when throw ins and corners were launched into the box. You had to be there to see how much bigger Shrewsbury were as a team, their smallest player probably weighed more than our biggest. The ball and the balls belonged to us though, Jones, Elliott and Williams all have a bit of Robbo about them. The right combination of class and snide. Those 3 are proper ballers.  

Hmmm. While I undoubtedly love seeing a player or team I dislike score an oggy, I have to say I felt for the lad to nod one past his keeper last night. The fact hes a former manc makes it a bit easier to feel less sorry for him all the same.

I was really impressed with the young lads last night. I really thought they'd get battered after the result they got against wigan U23s a few weeks ago. Curis Jones looked and played like Stevie re incarnate.

It was somewhat unfortunate our 3 best chances fell to Williams who no disrespect to him, you'd prefer an out and out striker getting those chances.

The last 10 minutes the boys not surprisingly looked tired and had to resort to banging the ball up field as Shrewsbury went shit or bust.

The next round is 3rd March and I will be majorly surprised if Jurgen puts out such a young side in that game. Bit harsh on the lads who've got the club this far in the competition but asking them to go again in a match lampard will surely play all his big guns would, I think, be a game too much. Will be interesting to see though.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Hmmm. While I undoubtedly love seeing a player or team I dislike score an oggy, I have to say I felt for the lad to nod one past his keeper last night. The fact hes a former manc makes it a bit easier to feel less sorry for him all the same.

I was really impressed with the young lads last night. I really thought they'd get battered after the result they got against wigan U23s a few weeks ago. Curis Jones looked and played like Stevie re incarnate.

It was somewhat unfortunate our 3 best chances fell to Williams who no disrespect to him, you'd prefer an out and out striker getting those chances.

The last 10 minutes the boys not surprisingly looked tired and had to resort to banging the ball up field as Shrewsbury went shit or bust.

The next round is 3rd March and I will be majorly surprised if Jurgen puts out such a young side in that game. Bit harsh on the lads who've got the club this far in the competition but asking them to go again in a match lampard will surely play all his big guns would, I think, be a game too much. Will be interesting to see though.

I think the own goal lad is getting a bit of a bad press to be fair, with all of the talk that it was 'inexplicable'. He had to do something with the ball or it was putting Elliott through and it's behind him so he can't get it upfield. all he could realistically do is leave it and hope it skidded on past Elliott , try to get it back to the goalie or glance it wide from 20 yards out. He tried option B and the goalie had advanced too far.

16 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Maybe I'm a cold bastard but I didn't consider the defender even for a spilt second. Fuck him and fuck Shrewsbury.  Our lads celebrated like it had won the world cup, the manner of the goal was irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Also Shrewsbury have gotten away with being shitless cowards last night. They played for penalties against kids from the first whistle. I thought they set up to face our first team tactics wise and never adjusted, even on corners they done that recycled corner they all try against us instead of lobbing into the mixer where they had massive height advantages. That lad Martin Keown was creaming himself over last week never got forward at all, I only noticed he was playing with about 10 minutes to go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I think the own goal lad is getting a bit of a bad press to be fair, with all of the talk that it was 'inexplicable'. He had to do something with the ball or it was putting Elliott through and it's behind him so he can't get it upfield. all he could realistically do is leave it and hope it skidded on past Elliott , try to get it back to the goalie or glance it wide from 20 yards out. He tried option B and the goalie had advanced too far.

Their keeper was in no man's land, aka Karius land. 

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck's sake, give the lad Karius a break, will yers?

He will always be referenced when discussing calamitous goal keeping and rightly so, having made the two biggest fuck ups ever to happen in the biggest game in club football 

15 minutes ago, skaro said:

No one walks alone - they are forever in the fold of our long memories.

I still can't forgive Brucie for those two City goals at Anfield in 1981...

Great save by Thommo, but his defensive efforts on all 3 goals leave a fair bit to be desired.  More at fault than Brucie for me, Skaro!