You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shrewsbury (H) FA Cup - 4/2/2020 - 19:45

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, MOGLET said:

Jones is a class above the rest, even though they all seem to be a class above the shrews tonight. Mark my words, Jones, the next Gerrard, but with more hair,  Anyone else remember the shaved headed skinny kid when he first got his chance?

He was fabulous tonight. Always looked a million times more ready than any of the others. Some player.

7 hours ago, lebron said:

Think I've said this before, but can't understand why no-ones snapped up Chirivella yet, he's a proper midfield maestro, would be perfect for any top division club looking for someone to orchestrate play from the centre of the park. Might not be good enough for a top 4 club, but most others looking to play football from the back could surely make use of his talents.

Agree with the shouts for Curtis Jones too, he's actually been even more impressive on the other occasions I've watched him, but he's got the confidence and ability to make it at senior level, and influences every game he plays.

Agree on these two entirely. 

Jones was excellent & took it by the scruff of the neck. He’s got bags of character. 

As for the rest of the squad, Michael Edwards will be sharpening his pencil this morning on values. 

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

The only disappointment for me was that lovely young lad, Bobby Duncan, has missed the chance to play on live tv against Villa, Everton & in both legs of a 4th round FA Cup tie. 

How many times has that incredibly well informed lad played for Fiorentina? Is it a whopping 0 times?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Glossop Notth End Jrs weigh into the great FA Cup debate.....

Perfect reasoning.

Disrespecting the Cup means putting out a weak side (see Sam Allardyce setting his West Ham under-9s up to get battered by Forest a few years ago)... except, we clearly didn't do that. We put out teams that were good enough to win the games, as evidenced by the fact that we won the fucking games.

If someone genuinely disrespects the Cup by putting out a team too weak to win, kicking them out isn't an option  (or a punishment).

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering about the team selection for Chelsea, it's a while away and injuries/dips in form can happen, but it would be good to go a bit stronger than just the B team i.e.

Adrian

Hoever/Williams

Lovren

Matip

Milner

Lallana

Keita

Jones

Minimino

Origi

Shaqiri

In my last 3 visits to Anfield I haven't seen a Liverpool player score a goal. I have seen plenty before that but that goal last night is right up there. The joy from the pitch and stands was a pleasure to be part of, those boys were cheered on like everyone in the ground was related to them.

It was brilliant watching them lads absolutely own the game and show some real balls when throw ins and corners were launched into the box. You had to be there to see how much bigger Shrewsbury were as a team, their smallest player probably weighed more than our biggest. The ball and the balls belonged to us though, Jones, Elliott and Williams all have a bit of Robbo about them. The right combination of class and snide. Those 3 are proper ballers.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ha, my lad felt old last night. He, thanks to the youthful selection of the team, reached that point when the players are all younger than yourself. Most reading this will probably know that feeling, then it becomes refs, then managers. 

Anyway what a night, what a game. Going in to this I gave us no chance and thought a similar result to the Villa game was on the cards. When I saw the stadium full and heard the support I thought hmmmm. Then after 10 or so minutes I was thinking, hey we could do this. 

The lads should be proud, they pretty much played Shrewsbury off the pitch and even the stats prove that Gaz. The victory was nothing less than they deserved and I left feeling incredibly proud of my team. There was a incident just before half time Lewis fell awkwardly or was in a challenge. You could see he was hurt from it and it took all his effort to get to his feet. People in the crowd urging him 'go down lad' but he hobbled on and made a decent interception and a clearance. Grit and determination, just one example out there of how much they wanted it. 

Credit too to the crowd, after getting home and sticking on Iplayer for the highlights you could see empty stands in all the other stadiums, (such utter disrespect for the cup) While for us a pretty much full house and a great atmosphere. 

I suppose if this was City or Bacon face's Utd youth team all we'd be hearing would be 'the magic of the cup' 'Fergies wonder kids' etc etc etc. Fuck some the media and their agenda, last night was bloody brilliant. Oh and the FA can go and fuck themselves too. 

• Upvote 1