You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

41 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Don't think Larouci is good enough defensively if Robbo missed any significant time and Milner is no back up. He doesn't stretch play enough and slows everything down by keep coming back infield on his right foot

The last 2 times milner has started full back he's broken down injured hasn't he? I think that experiment has well run its day. 

1 minute ago, The Gaul said:

The last 2 times milner has started full back he's broken down injured hasn't he? I think that experiment has well run its day. 

He's a short term solution in games. Expecting him to cover for a couple of months wouldn't be good. Look how poor we looked without him and Mo. 

We need both fullback keeping the pitch wide and overlapping keeping the opposition fullbacks wide, and need pacy outside forwards to make it work

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He's a short term solution in games. Expecting him to cover for a couple of months wouldn't be good. Look how poor we looked without him and Mo. 

We need both fullback keeping the pitch wide and overlapping keeping the opposition fullbacks wide, and need pacy outside forwards to make it work

I wouldn't use him even short term anymore. I'd sooner stick either a kid, Gomez, Trent or whatever before him. I'd maybe even have keita there before him, although he's maybe too much of a shitbag to play there. Either way, I don't think we'll buying someone to complete, so we need to get used to the Idea backup will continue to be sourced from the existing squad. 

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

They've not got ffp to be arsed about have they now they're out of Europe. I'd be shocked if they didn't spend 300m this summer. 

Different FFP period, so surely it doesn't matter whether they're in or out. They're still subject to the same rules.

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

They've not got ffp to be arsed about have they now they're out of Europe. I'd be shocked if they didn't spend 300m this summer. 

We hear this type of stuff all the time though over players in Germany, Werner, dahoud, gotze, Brandt, pulisic and I'm sure a few I've forgotten. They're all nailed on. We've sent a message of sit tight and then the player either wasn't interested when we supposedly had already struck deals or we've decided to wait longer than the player wants to wait. I'm sure agents and players over there are going to start seeing us as the prick teasers we are. I can't believe after the tit Werner has made out of himself over us there'll be too many players interested in waiting for us again. If they get a decent offer, they'll move. And if we really wanted a player, we'd put the money on the table and buy them. The fact is we're not really interested in buying players unless we sell. 

Agree with a lot of that. We will never spend much under these owners. It's not a criticism of them as they have done a lot of good things. I will say that it takes a once in a lifetime manager like Jurgen that could win the biggest trophies under them though. My only hope is that come the time Jurgen moves on, we will have a brilliant team so we will remain competitive for the title and the Champions League.

What I am saying about Sancho is that if he doesn't go to United and unless Real make a move for him, I think there is a strong possibility that he comes here next year. FSG will love having a young English superstar as will Nike. The signing will be covered by selling either Sadio or Mo and knowing Edwards we'll probably have excess cash. Sancho right now is not good enough to start in our team, but in twelve months it might make more sense for the long term.

City will be in the champions league next year. They'll appeal if they lose, claim more time needed due to covid stopping proper meetings. They'll get any ban delayed. Especially if the mancs don't finish 5th, UEFA will be quite happy with City over Leicester or Wolves, even more so if they win it this year

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Wiji is being groomed as the new Milner. Plug him in anywhere.

You might be right. I love Gini, but in my head I can't see him playing there. That's probably more about my limitations of imagination than gini's at football, but I just can't see him even plugging in like milner did when he did the job properly a few years back. 

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Different FFP period, so surely it doesn't matter whether they're in or out. They're still subject to the same rules.

If they spend this year they're subject to those rules in 2023? 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with a lot of that. We will never spend much under these owners. It's not a criticism of them as they have done a lot of good things. I will say that it takes a once in a lifetime manager like Jurgen that could win the biggest trophies under them though. My only hope is that come the time Jurgen moves on, we will have a brilliant team so we will remain competitive for the title and the Champions League.

What I am saying about Sancho is that if he doesn't go to United and unless Real make a move for him, I think there is a strong possibility that he comes here next year. FSG will love having a young English superstar as will Nike. The signing will be covered by selling either Sadio or Mo and knowing Edwards we'll probably have excess cash. Sancho right now is not good enough to start in our team, but in twelve months it might make more sense for the long term.

I'm not sure fsg are worried about any particular individual. I know for 100% certain back in the summer we hired Rodgers (and they were relatively new) they were desperate for Clint Dempsey as they thought he would be massive for the club in the states - fsg did the deal with Dempsey before Easter that year when Kenny was still manager (and while I don't know this for sure, but I'm reasonably certain, Kenny didn't know about the deal as it was 100% sorted in the states as they were that keen for a USA poster boy). They were sure they could bully Fulham into taking a low fee. But they couldn't and as they say the rest is history. Fsg were not so keen on Dempsey when they realised he'd cost. Then we heard similar stuff about pulisic, but we made no real effort to sign him in the end. And there's a lot of people who'd have you believe mbappe is all part of the Nike master plan, in fact there is barely a day goes by when the echo don't have him mentioned in their minute by minute update. Now I think that in particular was always mental and just illustrates some of the fantasists we have following us, but it's part of the point.

Personally I think there's only one thing that fsg like and it's value. I don't see they view footballers any different to any other asset they would buy. They look at a number of bits of data , ranging from his age, through ability, what he's achieved, risk profile and for sure his marketability (plus lots of other data I would imagine). I'm convinced there's barely a player on the planet we don't have a bunch of stats on at any moment in time, along with a valuation the club would put on him in terms of fee and salary. My view is if we have budget available and we can get that asset for less than the value Edwards has placed against him, we do the deal. See minamino and shaq - klopp often talks about how we don't buy because how hard it is to buy players better than the ones we have, but we're not shy at buying worse ones if we think it's profitable to do so. Otherwise we don't do deals until the cash is there (normally via sales, see alisson and VVD), there's no exceptions. We could discuss the pros and cons of that all night, but I just think it's the way we work. 

You might be right about Sancho because you think we'll sell to do it. I'm not saying these are the exact numbers, but if they can sell Salah for £100m, get his 200k off the books, bring in Sancho for 100m at 180k per week and considering one will be 29 and the other is 21 (?) I can see that's a value deal they would be happy to make. But that's just the sell to buy thing again. If you were Sancho would you sit tight until the club that gets almost 20m for Dominic solanke has to wait till they get value on one of Salah or mane to make a move? 

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

City will be in the champions league next year. They'll appeal if they lose, claim more time needed due to covid stopping proper meetings. They'll get any ban delayed. Especially if the mancs don't finish 5th, UEFA will be quite happy with City over Leicester or Wolves, even more so if they win it this year

I thought uefa had said if city do lose this appeal and take it on outside cas, that the bam will start regardless? I'm pretty sure that's standard rules of going to cas. 

10 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Fair question and I'm not 100% sure, but I thought it was all calculated over a rolling 3 year period, so if they are banned for two years, their participation in the third year would depend on their record for that period.

Saved bonuses and getting anywhere near value for Sane would probably give them plenty to play with anyway.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

You might be right. I love Gini, but in my head I can't see him playing there. That's probably more about my limitations of imagination than gini's at football, but I just can't see him even plugging in like milner did when he did the job properly a few years back. 

I'm not sure fsg are worried about any particular individual. I know for 100% certain back in the summer we hired Rodgers (and they were relatively new) they were desperate for Clint Dempsey as they thought he would be massive for the club in the states - fsg did the deal with Dempsey before Easter that year when Kenny was still manager (and while I don't know this for sure, but I'm reasonably certain, Kenny didn't know about the deal as it was 100% sorted in the states as they were that keen for a USA poster boy). They were sure they could bully Fulham into taking a low fee. But they couldn't and as they say the rest is history. Fsg were not so keen on Dempsey when they realised he'd cost. Then we heard similar stuff about pulisic, but we made no real effort to sign him in the end. And there's a lot of people who'd have you believe mbappe is all part of the Nike master plan, in fact there is barely a day goes by when the echo don't have him mentioned in their minute by minute update. Now I think that in particular was always mental and just illustrates some of the fantasists we have following us, but it's part of the point.

Personally I think there's only one thing that fsg like and it's value. I don't see they view footballers any different to any other asset they would buy. They look at a number of bits of data , ranging from his age, through ability, what he's achieved, risk profile and for sure his marketability (plus lots of other data I would imagine). I'm convinced there's barely a player on the planet we don't have a bunch of stats on at any moment in time, along with a valuation the club would put on him in terms of fee and salary. My view is if we have budget available and we can get that asset for less than the value Edwards has placed against him, we do the deal. See minamino and shaq - klopp often talks about how we don't buy because how hard it is to buy players better than the ones we have, but we're not shy at buying worse ones if we think it's profitable to do so. Otherwise we don't do deals until the cash is there (normally via sales, see alisson and VVD), there's no exceptions. We could discuss the pros and cons of that all night, but I just think it's the way we work. 

You might be right about Sancho because you think we'll sell to do it. I'm not saying these are the exact numbers, but if they can sell Salah for £100m, get his 200k off the books, bring in Sancho for 100m at 180k per week and considering one will be 29 and the other is 21 (?) I can see that's a value deal they would be happy to make. But that's just the sell to buy thing again. If you were Sancho would you sit tight until the club that gets almost 20m for Dominic solanke has to wait till they get value on one of Salah or mane to make a move? 

Definitely think that is the kind of thought they might be having. He's not currently on Mo's level but in 12-18 months, that might be a different story. 

Not a hope we smash 100 million on an elite player as you say. Prior to covid, I think we would have lashed 50 million on Werner, but I think our net spend this summer might be less than 10 million and that is me being as positive as I can. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if FSG made a profit from the summer's business to cover their losses. 

Sancho could be an outstanding player for a lengthy period of time. He's English as well so no issues with learning the language and he's mates with Trent. He will be a success here or anywhere.

I don't think Sancho will wait for us as you say. If United sell him a big project and throw him a massive wedge, he is likely to go there. Likewise, I think he could go to Madrid. However, if he is still at Dortmund going into next season, I think he will be in a Liverpool shirt come 21/22. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Nah man - Gini is in the top 5 left backs in the league if he starts there tomorrow.

He has played all over for us in games - big games. #9, CB, wide upfront, LB, anywhere in the middle.

• Upvote 1

Saka won't work for us because he's comfortable at Arsenal where they'll offer him good wages at a "big" club to play the position he wants to play. He's got them by the balls. Liverpool will tell him he has to play some left back and fight for his place and he won't want to do it. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nah man - Gini is in the top 5 left backs in the league if he starts there tomorrow.

He has played all over for us in games - big games. #9, CB, wide upfront, LB, anywhere in the middle.

Yeah but I think he's exceptional in his normal left 8 and when he plays 6. But centre back, I'm pretty sure that was only one game wasn't it? And I think he's been poor on the odd game in the front 3. I'm not saying he can't do it, I just don't see it 

I wonder why we haven't seen any links to Patson Daka yet?

Would seem a logical place to look to continue the Salzburg -> Liverpool assembly line that has brought us Minamino, Keita and Mane. I never like to compare African players to other African players because there's a danger of racism but his game reminds me so much of Mane's! And if you run the data looking for other similar players, Eto'o's early seasons come up as the closest matches, so I couldn't look there for a comparison either.

Anyway, he's had a huge breakout season after Haaland left. We'd have to offer some decent money to convince Red Bull not to just move him up to Leipzig to replace Werner, but surely he'd be cheaper than Werner would have been and we'd be getting him even younger so he can grow into the role.

Just seems weird to me that no newspaper craving clicks has even made up a story about him yet. Seems like an obvious link to make.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I wonder why we haven't seen any links to Patson Daka yet?

Would seem a logical place to look to continue the Salzburg -> Liverpool assembly line that has brought us Minamino, Keita and Mane. I never like to compare African players to other African players because there's a danger of racism but his game reminds me so much of Mane's! And if you run the data looking for other similar players, Eto'o's early seasons come up as the closest matches, so I couldn't look there for a comparison either.

Anyway, he's had a huge breakout season after Haaland left. We'd have to offer some decent money to convince Red Bull not to just move him up to Leipzig to replace Werner, but surely he'd be cheaper than Werner would have been and we'd be getting him even younger so he can grow into the role.

Just seems weird to me that no newspaper craving clicks has even made up a story about him yet. Seems like an obvious link to make.

These selling clubs like Salzburg are a revolving door. They'll sell Hwang whose contract is running out, Daka will then "replace" him as the star and then in a couple years he'll be sold. It must be too early and they want to hold on to him. 

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Matip is out for the rest of the season.

I like him as a player but he is so injury prone and will probably miss parts of next season as well. 

It's a shame he's made of crisps as he's a quality player.

21 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Matip is out for the rest of the season.

I like him as a player but he is so injury prone and will probably miss parts of next season as well. 

This could be a blessing... we could use this as an opportunity to test out Hoever, if he’s not ready then we will have to purchase a centre centre half when the window reopens.

46 minutes ago, aRdja said:

This could be a blessing... we could use this as an opportunity to test out Hoever, if he’s not ready then we will have to purchase a centre centre half when the window reopens.

You think we should give Hoever games before the end of the season?