You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

What? You PLAN for players to not get injured. Thats a new one i must admit. 

Well you plan to avoid as much risk as possible. Robertson taking 3 months to dislodge Morneo is a perfect example, Klopp is not putting anyone on the pitch unless they're 100% capable of doing what's asked.

We should have some funds available for transfers, the problem is no-one knows what the current and next season look like yet. There’s no plan for European competition, there’s a fair to middling chance the league is fucked up for the next season or two. 

Gate money, TV money, European comp money and sponsor money could be massively effected.

No-one knows what’s going to happen. 

Also all clubs are affected, the lower ones even worse, so we can’t sell squad players for high fees to the likes of Palace and Bournemouth.

There’s a reasonable chance that a lot of clubs are going to just have to try to get players to take pay cuts, or just let them go.

The only clubs who will be outlaying any big money on players at this time are the oil cheats, who have never run on a budget.

Anyone hoping that FSG will put up £200 million of their own money to sign Kai Havertz in this current situation obviously hasn’t been paying attention to the world.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Although I’d have liked another quality back up attacker & left back (same as last summer) I’m not down about it.

We re-signed Milner for left back and added a backup attacker in minamino.  You know we won't be spending money just for the fun of it. 

It's one in one out from now on.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

maybe they're certain that Elliott is Mo's replacement in 2 years

As promising as he looks, planning for a 17 year old that hasn't scored a goal in professional football to replace one of the best players in the world is...optimistic.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

We should have some funds available for transfers, the problem is no-one knows what the current and next season look like yet. There’s no plan for European competition, there’s a fair to middling chance the league is fucked up for the next season or two. 

Gate money, TV money, European comp money and sponsor money could be massively effected.

Also all clubs are affected, the lower ones even worse, so we can’t sell squad players for high fees to the likes of Palace and Bournemouth.

There’s a reasonable chance that a lot of clubs are going to just have to try to get players to take pay cuts, or just let them go.

The only clubs who will be outlaying any big money on players at this time are the oil cheats, who have never run on a budget.

Anyone hoping that FSG will put up £200 million of their own money to sign Kai Havertz in this current situation obviously hasn’t been paying attention to the world.

Or to FSG.

Mad isn't it when your super wealthy. Buy an asset it pays for itself then sell the asset for 5 times what it's worth without spending a penny of your own money in the process. I mean there's good/great decision making going on in the process. They have done a great job of increasing our revenues and being able to keep our top players on competitive wages. We just can't speculate and that's frustrating, it's sensible but fuck you feel like c'mon we've got to keep the gap between us and the rest as they're catching up. I guess we just ain't been successful enough where our revenues are so high we've got tonnes of wiggle room. Luckily for now we have Klopp, the best manager we could possibly ever hope to have. FSG have been great for us overall.

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

As promising as he looks, planning for a 17 year old that hasn't scored a goal in professional football to replace one of the best players in the world is...optimistic.

I don’t see him as a winger in the future either, attacking mid is more likely.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Was Schniederlin ever any use? Southampton signed him for 1.2m, Everton are selling him for 2m, in between he's had a couple of 20m+ transfers. Did Virgil ever play with him and make him look great, either that or it was Lovren. I've never looked at him and thought anything other than he's shite.

I thought he was pretty decent before he went to Utd. 

Can anybody give examples of a type of owner somewhere between FSG and being part of a PR campaign for a dictatorship with unlimited funds? Can’t really see one myself. Shame we’re not going for Werner but I understand why. 

I still think one of FSG’s biggest legacies (along with the little matter of getting us winning titles again) will be keeping us at Anfield. An Etihad/Emirates type bowl would have been another death knell for a lot of fans. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

No2 quite clearly stated why it wasn't a miracle so don't be a tit.

Who is being a tit? Its a given they will have some sort of nutritional and fitness regime per player, thats modern sport.

But that still doesn't legislate for Mane or Salah snapping their hamstring in the first 5 minutes of a match. And in that sense we've been very fortunate, regarding the front three that none of them have had a long term injury in that regard but it could happen at any given time, theres no control over that.

Theres also more risk of that happening the more strenuous the load is on each player, and Jurgen doesn't really deviate from his starting 11 much, so they play pretty much every game.

Anyway as always we will see.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Is Jones ready? Not sure. 

He needs a consistent run in the team to prove himself not 3 minute cameos and an FA Cup tie. We've also been here before with Woodburn and Wilson. I don't think its realistic.

Jones has looked ready from what I’ve seen. Completely different level compared to Woodburn. Wilson is a different story, as he seems to have the end product to play for any club in the world, but is lacking the intensity, workrate and physical precense. Jones has got all of that, and a fair bit if end product in him as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Pretty much this. I'll never argue it's better not to spend than to spend but it's clear that given what we've done in the past two years, we don't "have" to spend. And with the current financial situation, that means we can be prudent. I don't like it, but I get it. 

Tbf to Chelsea, they have had some big sales, have a free-spending mafioso owner and aren't very good at the moment. In pretty much every respect, a different situation to ours.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Was Schniederlin ever any use? Southampton signed him for 1.2m, Everton are selling him for 2m, in between he's had a couple of 20m+ transfers. Did Virgil ever play with him and make him look great, either that or it was Lovren. I've never looked at him and thought anything other than he's shite.

He was good at Southampton. A box to box midfielder who did everything well. Couldn't hack it at United for whatever reason and has been crap ever since. 

20 hours ago, No2 said:

What if its not a miracle? What if it brilliant planning? Recruiting players with perfect injury records, hiring the worlds best physios, nutritionists, doctors, sports scientists. Those working behind the scenes would either be offended by your thought process or they're flying in PED's and telling blue taxi drivers.

If it's all down to luck then why do some clubs constantly have terrible injury records and some don't? 

Lallana,Shaq,Keita, lovren/matip and to a lesser extent Gomez, would suggest it is luck (or bad luck ) any time one of front three has an injury or knock we lose a bit of bite up front. Apparently Naby was virtually injury free playing a very aggressive style in Germany .

However the backroom staff , trainers and manager have to take some credit for the playing time achieved with front three together.

Liverpool are monitoring developments at Hamilton Academical, with one eye firmly placed on making a swoop for Scottish youth international defender Jamie Hamilton. Wolves are also keen on slapping a bid on the table for the 18 year old, while Everton were previously interested until Liverpool made their intentions clear. 

This may or may not be true, but the player does exist and the headline was an exclusive on Teamtalk so probably bullshit. 

@El Rojo, any news on this? 

1 hour ago, SlugTrail said:

Harvey Elliott disagrees 

Rhian brewster Is supposedly loved too. And we've signed minamino. I don't think we'll sign a forward. I'll be shocked if we sign anyone. Lallana will be replaced by Jones. Shaq by Wilson. And if lovren goes, hoever will get a go. 

My worry is more this side is aging together and good squad management would involve bringing in some 23/24 year olds to edge out the ones approaching 30 and beyond. 

And I think we have to accept we've no interest in domestic cups. 

• Upvote 1