You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Guest Alex_K
8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There’s a rebate due, which has, kindly, been deferred. One hand washes the other clean and all that.

The biggest risk is the shit show which is the UK having a second spike in cases, or a number of players testing positive.

Then a whole kettle of mutually assured destruction gets unleashed. 

Ah got it - thanks for highlighting. Google seach suggests £330 m. total due back collectively - so around £16 mil a club? If we've paid our playing squad in full throughout (est. £110 mil in annual salaries) then it probably starts to edge towards £50 mil lost so far in salaries/broadcasting and that lower band of £70 mil starts to become more realistic w. continued impacts (such as loss of matchday revenue). That assumes we don't recoup the player salaries by lockdown being absorbed as the usual "holiday" break between seasons if we head pretty sharply from this season into the next one .. which I guess will be the preferred option for all clubs.

Yes 2nd wave is a different discussion for a different time but **touch wood** the whole world has responded pretty positively to easings so far. Personally my guess is that putting pause on again will be untenable in all walks of life (economically/socially) so either way they'll just work it out.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Have to see what got to be paid back on the TV deals 

Nothing gets paid back. Ever.

We are joking about there being cardboard cutouts in the seats - and people paying for those. Which would be better than 100 meter long sponsor banners placed on seats, I expect to see those,

Hahaha, according to some hack in the wail, chelsea are the transfer window kings again! All they have done in buy the lad from Ajax who had a lot of admirers but no bidders and agreed a deal with Werner, not his club. Neither have they agreed anything with Havertz or his club.

Give them the trophy now!

• Upvote 1

Liverpool were interested in that Jeremy Doku from Anderlecht last year but didn't sign him. Apparently Anderlecht need to sell him during to the Coronavirus impact so could get him for a lot less than the £6m/£7m Anderlecht wanted at the time. 

Also the midfielder from Mechelen Aster Vranckx who would cost £1.5m.

Also been linked with Sepp Van Den Berg's brother who recently signed a contract extension with PEC Zwolle. 

If we are buying anyone it will be only deals like this after selling a few players or reducing the wage bill.

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Have to see what got to be paid back on the TV deals 

If there was any money due back, the TV companies would prefer to reduce future TV payouts to make up the difference rather than ask for the money back first. Asking for the money back first increases the risk of 'the product' standing still or going backwards as clubs are forced to divert funds away from things that make the product attractive to the TV companies (transfers, transfer sagas, better players, better teams, more interest from people who want to watch, etc).

Both sides have got the other by the short and curlies over this. The clubs need the TV companies because they need the TV money, and the TV companies need the clubs because they need a product that the public will pay good money for. Without football, Sky and co wouldn't have nearly as many subscribers for their services. Without the money, the clubs would not be able to attract the best players and coaches, and the knock-on effect for them is that they won't be able to attract sponsors or get good kit deals, etc.

On 09/06/2020 at 09:19, Mudface said:

Wow, that's probably the last thing you'd expect, he's built like a brick shithouse. A little one like, but still.

Perhaps that's the problem. Surely football is as much about twisting and turning than just powering through, especially in our system and if you're weighed down with muscle, that must put strain on the body. 

23 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why relax FFP when it's clearly in the best interests of the sport. If it's due to corona you dont relax FFP it's a time for fees and wages to drop down to at least pre neymar to PSG days.

Is the idea that you could be easily be within ffp but reduced revenues mean you'd fail. I haven't seen anything suggesting there's no ffp (well aside from fans), just the rules will be relaxed during periods that include lost revenue from covid and you have to show your planning for those revenues was reasonable. 

16 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Ah got it - thanks for highlighting. Google seach suggests £330 m. total due back collectively - so around £16 mil a club? If we've paid our playing squad in full throughout (est. £110 mil in annual salaries) then it probably starts to edge towards £50 mil lost so far in salaries/broadcasting and that lower band of £70 mil starts to become more realistic w. continued impacts (such as loss of matchday revenue). That assumes we don't recoup the player salaries by lockdown being absorbed as the usual "holiday" break between seasons if we head pretty sharply from this season into the next one .. which I guess will be the preferred option for all clubs.

Yes 2nd wave is a different discussion for a different time but **touch wood** the whole world has responded pretty positively to easings so far. Personally my guess is that putting pause on again will be untenable in all walks of life (economically/socially) so either way they'll just work it out.

I don't think it's 16m a club, as I don't think it's split evenly. I think we're estimated to lose the most - ~30m down to about 10m with some clubs. But the club are disputing the TV companies right to that money. This is just their position. It's a negotiation, the PL said fuck off, sky responded with "how about we take it off later payments in 20/21". Personally, I think it'll end up coming in some sort of kick back on the next TV deal. 

Then of course there's gate receipts. Last year we did about 80m, but that included a run to the CL final, but with just 4 games lost, even a generous 20% is less than 20m. But even if you roll it into next season and say we'll lose half a season in total, that only becomes 40m. 

Personally, I just think it's the normal crap from LFC - we're so skint, can't afford anything, but don't worry we're the most clever people on the block, so when everyone spends millions , we'll be better for not doing likewise. And the majority of the fanbase buys into it because it comes from "trusted" journalists and don't see them as the propaganda merchants they are. We might drop revenues by 70m..... But that's the extreme top end imo, not the low-end the scaremongers want you to believe. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool were interested in that Jeremy Doku from Anderlecht last year but didn't sign him. Apparently Anderlecht need to sell him during to the Coronavirus impact so could get him for a lot less than the £6m/£7m Anderlecht wanted at the time. 

Also the midfielder from Mechelen Aster Vranckx who would cost £1.5m.

Also been linked with Sepp Van Den Berg's brother who recently signed a contract extension with PEC Zwolle. 

If we are buying anyone it will be only deals like this after selling a few players or reducing the wage bill.

Where are you getting these from, mate?

16 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Where are you getting these from, mate?

There were a couple of press reports stating that Doku and his Dad came over in 2018 and visited Klopp at Melwood, Liverpool were interested but a combination of the money Anderlecht wanted and him being young (only 17 now) meant it didn't happen. There's quite a few articles on it, Klopp sees him as the successor to Sadio Mane. Due to the Coronavirus Anderlecht will probably let him go cheaper than £6m.

The Vranckx lad was linked with us and Man City last month, Mechelen can't get more than £1.5m for his age but he's already played for them for most of the season and is a regular for the Belgian national team at his age group.

Sepp VDB's brother was linked the other day to a lot of clubs including us. Not sure anyone has bid for him.

8 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Perhaps that's the problem. Surely football is as much about twisting and turning than just powering through, especially in our system and if you're weighed down with muscle, that must put strain on the body. 

Is the idea that you could be easily be within ffp but reduced revenues mean you'd fail. I haven't seen anything suggesting there's no ffp (well aside from fans), just the rules will be relaxed during periods that include lost revenue from covid and you have to show your planning for those revenues was reasonable. 

I don't think it's 16m a club, as I don't think it's split evenly. I think we're estimated to lose the most - ~30m down to about 10m with some clubs. But the club are disputing the TV companies right to that money. This is just their position. It's a negotiation, the PL said fuck off, sky responded with "how about we take it off later payments in 20/21". Personally, I think it'll end up coming in some sort of kick back on the next TV deal. 

Then of course there's gate receipts. Last year we did about 80m, but that included a run to the CL final, but with just 4 games lost, even a generous 20% is less than 20m. But even if you roll it into next season and say we'll lose half a season in total, that only becomes 40m. 

Personally, I just think it's the normal crap from LFC - we're so skint, can't afford anything, but don't worry we're the most clever people on the block, so when everyone spends millions , we'll be better for not doing likewise. And the majority of the fanbase buys into it because it comes from "trusted" journalists and don't see them as the propaganda merchants they are. We might drop revenues by 70m..... But that's the extreme top end imo, not the low-end the scaremongers want you to believe. 

If the games are getting broadcast, why are the clubs having to pay money back? The TV companies must be getting even more games to show now than what they signed up for.

21 minutes ago, Red74 said:

If the games are getting broadcast, why are the clubs having to pay money back? The TV companies must be getting even more games to show now than what they signed up for.

They’ve lost loads of money by people suspending or cancelling their sports package subscriptions.  Even though they will get more games and make some more advertising revenue from it they will have lost that money for 3/4 months.  Add this to the fact the games will almost certainly be less intense etc I think it’s understandable they would want some compensation.  

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

They’ve lost loads of money by people suspending or cancelling their sports package subscriptions.  Even though they will get more games and make some more advertising revenue from it they will have lost that money for 3/4 months.  Add this to the fact the games will almost certainly be less intense etc I think it’s understandable they would want some compensation.  

But the subscriptions are restarting this week so they’ll be getting that money back. Those last 3/4 months lost would be the equivalent of the summer break when everyone cancels anyway. l read the Bundesliga are only going to have a 3 week break between the end of this season and the start of next so if we follow suit the TV companies could be the winners here. 

11 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

There were a couple of press reports stating that Doku and his Dad came over in 2018 and visited Klopp at Melwood, Liverpool were interested but a combination of the money Anderlecht wanted and him being young (only 17 now) meant it didn't happen. There's quite a few articles on it, Klopp sees him as the successor to Sadio Mane. Due to the Coronavirus Anderlecht will probably let him go cheaper than £6m.

Rafa Camacho-esque

On 10/06/2020 at 01:10, Doctor Troy said:

Will the sponsorship money be decreased?. Given that , normally pay for a season or fir a 4 year deal and have names on shirts, training gear etc how could they justify saying they will cut the money? They still have their names in images of games etc.

I think our gate money will obviously decrease and we lost approximately 30m by losing to Atletico Madrid in the first knockout phase. Also some of the premier league tv cash.

No. We didn't lose a eurocent losing to Atleticovid. We lost the opportunity to trouser 30+m by progressing

15 hours ago, Dave D said:

What, Dr Nowt? Our own resident letter glutton ? 

It’s true. Maddock is jealous of my lockdown hair, got in touch for a few tips on how its possible to get that much body in it, and it’s gone from there.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Red74 said:

But the subscriptions are restarting this week so they’ll be getting that money back. Those last 3/4 months lost would be the equivalent of the summer break when everyone cancels anyway. l read the Bundesliga are only going to have a 3 week break between the end of this season and the start of next so if we follow suit the TV companies could be the winners here. 

They aren’t getting that money back because they didn’t defer the subscriptions.  Not everyone cancels in the summer either.  I think it’s fanciful to think that.  The vast majority will let it run because they forget/can’t be arsed or can’t because they’re tied in for 18 months.  The TV companies are not the winners you’re living in a fantasy land if you think they’re going to make money out of this.  No games will have been played for 3 and a half months.  The summer break is normally 2 and a half.  When football does return it’s going to be nonstop like never before and there will be burnout for fans especially if the games are like training matches.

9 hours ago, Red74 said:

This is why it's in dispute! I think (someone please correct me if this is wrong) the basis of the TV companies is 2 fold ....

1. The product would have been expected to air in a different time of the year, so they were left with empty schedules. Outside of the UK, some international broadcasters have expressed the idea that the rights to the game are less valuable to them through the summer. 

2. Part of the reason they claim they select the premier league rather than other leagues is because of the atmosphere in the ground - or on UK broadcasters case why they pay so much. Without that atmosphere, the product has less value to them. 

I would would imagine as part of point 2 it seems inevitable the premier league would include the stadia and fans as part of any rights pitch document. So this seems the argument might have some merit. 

For the 1st, it would seem this is a little more opportunistic from the TV companies - there's very little global sport happening at the moment, so fitting the PL in their schedule now in the main would seem as valuable as it would have in march to may. Perhaps there is an argument if the season is compressed, it carries a little less value as they'll have a reduced number of weeks to fit in the last 9 match days. However, this must be traded off with the staggered nature of the games, so as no 2 games happen at the same time, this must create more value to broadcasters. 

9 hours ago, Red74 said:

We should be asking the Premier League to give us our member money, the cunts. 

Despite claims to thecontrary, arsenal havent signed Partey it seems.

Thomas Partey is shaping up to be one of the bargain transfers of the summer and is now wanted by more clubs than just Arsenal, his father has said.

Partey is available for the cut price of £45million due to a release clause in his contract with Atletico Madrid

Arsenal are reported to hold the strongest interest in the 26-year-old defensive midfielder, who is Ghana's captain, but the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool are also said to be watching him closely.

His father opened the door to a transfer by talking openly about the release clause and saying he would support his son if he decided to leave Atletico. 

'My son's current club Atletico Madrid has a release clause in Partey's deal… this means that any club which shows interest in signing him must meet those demands,' Jacob Partey told SilverFM.

'So any team which meets Atletico's demand will be able to sign my son, and not specifically Arsenal.

'I always call my son and he is of age to decide on a move. I am ready to support his decision.'

Despite his father's comments, Thomas is understood to be happy at Atletico and his boss Diego Simeone certainly wants to keep him, but looks to have a fight on his hands.

This season he is the player who has played the third most minutes in the squad, but he is a long way from being the third-highest paid.

If Atletico want to double his release clause and extend his deal for two more years to 2025 then they will need to double his £2.2m salary too.

But the club have been financially crippled by the coronavirus crisis so bringing in funds could be a priority.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8409435/Arsenal-warned-not-club-chasing-Thomas-Partey.html

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

Interesting read this whether agree or not....interesting comments too about Chelsea and spending/being in a position of power.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/11/liverpool-need-to-rebuild-but-werner-may-turn-out-to-be-a-great-non-signing

Barney Ronay is an FSG shill.

He's the one on the end getting James Pearce's backwash and the one at the front of the centipede is Klopp himself.

download.jpeg