You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why relax FFP when it's clearly in the best interests of the sport. If it's due to corona you dont relax FFP it's a time for fees and wages to drop down to at least pre neymar to PSG days.

We posted a £42m profit last year. This year we’re on for a £70-£200m loss.

If losses can be explained due to COVID19 (ie lost match day revenue, sponsorship, TV deals) etc, then it’s significantly different to spending £200m on full backs like Citeh did the other season. 

The fucking seal is eyeing up football again and seeing the old guard who rely on 'traditional' income struggling because of Covid, Manchester City facing up to a Champions League ban and a possible relaxing of FFP. He's blatantly thinking he can have a free run at the top talent in the market this year and he can spend like it's 2003 again with no competition outside of PSG. Get that game rigged again!

Fucking fuck.

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

The fucking seal is eyeing up football again and seeing the old guard who rely on 'traditional' income struggling because of Covid, Manchester City facing up to a Champions League ban and a possible relaxing of FFP. He's blatantly thinking he can have a free run at the top talent in the market this year and he can spend like it's 2003 again with no competition outside of PSG. Get that game rigged again!

Fucking fuck.

Crazy 

29 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If losses can be explained due to COVID19 (ie lost match day revenue, sponsorship, TV deals) etc, then it’s significantly different to spending £200m on full backs like Citeh did the other season. 

I would hope they would just exclude the loss on those things from FFP but keep in spending on transfer. Relaxing FFP and then spending £250m on players would be taking the piss.

Guest Alex_K
48 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Do you know where the bolded is from? Can it really be that severe?

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

53 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

That's a figure that really does cover a pretty big range. Whoever published it has definitely never watched The Price Is Right.

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

That's a figure that really does cover a pretty big range. Whoever published it has definitely never watched The Price Is Right.

Yes would be interested to read the underlying assumptions. £200 mil loss from £42 mil profit figure suggests we end up with around 1/2 our usual turnover overall .. given match-day ticket sales only make up a fraction of this & we so far only lose out on 4 match-day games hard to see how they get to such a huge amount. We've also spent next to nothing on players since the last accounts.

23 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

That's the figure the owners have got all the usual mouthpieces spouting. 

• Downvote 1

I think that figure was quoted in Dave Maddock's interview with some fan site.

Think the gap is just due to not knowing when we are going to be back to normal and assuming loss of match day revenue and sponsor money for most of next season.

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified that £70-£200m loss.

It was on the Dave Maddock podcast with Redmen TV. Apparently that’s what COVID19 is going to cost us. I assume that doesn’t take into account any profit we’d made up until March or what we’ll make in the remained of the year (ie Premiership winners money, new kit deal, player sales etc).

But still, COVID19 is going to put a huge dent in everybody’s finances. 

Been listening to The Athletic podcast today with Pearce and Hughes about why we haven’t signed Werner. Pretty much the same as Dave Maddock and every other journo.

I would post about parts of it but what’s the point...

Guest Alex_K
10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified that £70-£200m loss.

It was on the Dave Maddock podcast with Redmen TV. Apparently that’s what COVID19 is going to cost us. I assume that doesn’t take into account any profit we’d made up until March or what we’ll make in the remained of the year (ie Premiership winners money, new kit deal, player sales etc).

But still, COVID19 is going to put a huge dent in everybody’s finances. 

Ok got it thanks for clarifying. There must be some pretty extreme assumptions built into that. Maybe we’ve lost £30 mil in wages so far although that could be recouped if part of the covid-lockdown period absorbs what would have been part of the summer holidays for the players If the new season still starts around August time. We’ll see how it works out. To get into those higher numbers though it surely would have to be an absolute nightmare scenario where league is halted again, no spectators for a year + etc.

I think something's got lost in translation. There's a difference between losing 200m income to making a 200m loss ie losing 200m income means instead of turning over say 560m in a year, you only turn over 360m.

In its simplest terms, making a 200m loss means your total expenditure exceeds your total income by 200m.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

David Maddock said it in an interview on Redmen TV. Given he was a bit light on detail I remain unconvinced.

• Upvote 2

Will the sponsorship money be decreased?. Given that , normally pay for a season or fir a 4 year deal and have names on shirts, training gear etc how could they justify saying they will cut the money? They still have their names in images of games etc.

I think our gate money will obviously decrease and we lost approximately 30m by losing to Atletico Madrid in the first knockout phase. Also some of the premier league tv cash.

Guest Alex_K

If the games are played there presumably shouldn't be anything to be paid back re: broadcasting -- that was the whole impetus for getting the show back on the road.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

If the games are played there presumably shouldn't be anything to be paid back re: broadcasting -- that was the whole impetus for getting the show back on the road.

There’s a rebate due, which has, kindly, been deferred. One hand washes the other clean and all that.

The biggest risk is the shit show which is the UK having a second spike in cases, or a number of players testing positive.

Then a whole kettle of mutually assured destruction gets unleashed.