You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Whoosh.

I'm saying theres no fucking rivalry. Or at least theres no tangible grounds for one other than the media talking it up.

But just like Chelsea they are desperate to create a rivalry that doesn't yet exist except superficially. So I don't think they'd ever sell us anyone decent. 

They wouldn't sell us anyone directly because we are their closest rivals. Same as we wouldn't sell them anyone decent. Fuck all to do with some media rivalry. I couldn't give a flying fuck about City. The everton of manchester. No-ones arsed. They won the lottery. Fuck all they win means anything. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Betfair taking lots of bets on Sadio joining Real when this season ends and the next window opens apparently. Odds gone from 33/1 to 11/4. PSG 5/1 with Barcelona 9/1.

Not sure exactly why people are suddenly lumping on to this?

Liverpool legend Sir Kenny Dalglish has claimed that none of the club’s famous front three will be sold, even if they grow unsettled at Anfield.

The attacking trio of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino have been a major part of Liverpool’s success in recent years under Jurgen Klopp, scoring 38 Premier League goals between them this season.

Salah and Mane are both attracting interest from elsewhere, with Real Madrid weighing up a bid for either of the star wingers – even if it may take some convincing to prise them away from Anfield.

And former Reds star Dalglish believes that it will be extremely difficult for anyone to sign any member of Liverpool’s front three.

He told the Hat-Trick Podcast: “For them [other clubs] to think they can get Mane – unless, and it doesn’t look like it, unless they’re [Salah, Mane, Firmino] unhappy being at Liverpool which none of them seem to be.

“Eventually, like everything else, they’ll change the team around a little bit, but I cannot see them selling those players. Until, and unless, Liverpool want them out rather than they want out.”

Dalglish is not the first former Liverpool player to quash rumours that the likes of Mane can be taken away easily, with Phil Thompson stating in April that the forward was always going to be in the gossip columns due to his form, but that he is happy at Anfield.

3 hours ago, aws said:

But just like Chelsea they are desperate to create a rivalry that doesn't yet exist except superficially. So I don't think they'd ever sell us anyone decent. 

Exactly. They wouldn't want to make us any stronger, but don't try to make out that it's because of some deep seated rivalry. Plastic lottery winning cunts, just like Chelsea.

I can’t see any players growing restless because we are the business and we are competing for the top trophies.  I can’t see other clubs having the finances to offer the money which would tempt us to sell and I can’t see them paying high wages either.

I do think this situation plays right into city’s hands though and we are really going to struggle to stay with them next season.  UEFA are going to have to relax the the FFP rules because everybody is going to be fucked and city are going to take the piss because of it. That and the fact it will be a buyers market.  Their infinite money was nigh on impossible to compete with when they had some restraint.

43 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I can’t see any players growing restless because we are the business and we are competing for the top trophies.  I can’t see other clubs having the finances to offer the money which would tempt us to sell and I can’t see them paying high wages either.

I do think this situation plays right into city’s hands though and we are really going to struggle to stay with them next season.  UEFA are going to have to relax the the FFP rules because everybody is going to be fucked and city are going to take the piss because of it. That and the fact it will be a buyers market.  Their infinite money was nigh on impossible to compete with when they had some restraint.

Some very good points you've made but our squad is still growing I think and of course we have Klopp , I'd rather be in our position than Citys 

If City ban in Europe is upheld(I doubt it) our chances domestically drop even more. When you consider our front line for a month or so, during the busiest month of the season next year as it stands  will be Firmino, Origi, Jones and Elliot shows how much we need Werner. 

@Lee909Disagree -- if the ban sticks they will be under a microscope re: FFP. So they need to sell to buy.

Sane is gone this window - however that works. David Silva as well. One they will get a fee for but it will be effected by both the current market and the very obvious fact he doesn't want to be there. Really do not see them being able to top up the squad the way they have the last few years.

If they have to shoehorn in a 35 year old Fernandinho into that back 4 they will be worse than they were this year. And they were not great.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

There might be some change but I don't see them making it possible to buy whoever you want for however much you want.

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

There might be some change but I don't see them making it possible to buy whoever you want for however much you want.

Yea, they will make some concessions to current players wages and how they are accounted for. Would be very surprised if any changes re: transfers incoming are changed.

If anything the exposure of some pretty big clubs will put the need for FFP into an even more direct spotlight.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Lee909Disagree -- if the ban sticks they will be under a microscope re: FFP. So they need to sell to buy.

Sane is gone this window - however that works. David Silva as well. One they will get a fee for but it will be effected by both the current market and the very obvious fact he doesn't want to be there. Really do not see them being able to top up the squad the way they have the last few years.

If they have to shoehorn in a 35 year old Fernandinho into that back 4 they will be worse than they were this year. And they were not great.

Of course if injuries happen things are different but they will replace Sane at worst. If Laporte plays the season they'll be unlikely to be this far off the pace again. Are we are unlikely to put up the same amount of points. Missing Salah and Mane for at least 5 games(based off this seasons fixtures and not Inc Cup games) will be a massive blow. That's most of our creativity and goals gone. And you can guarantee we will get games with City, Utd etc during that spell. 

Guest Alex_K

Aguero will fade more and more. FFP may actually become more stringent to reflect localised austerity: highest unemployment since the early 90s and that is even with gov't furloughing scheme in place. The kind of fees that outstrip FFP won't be stood for morally/socially. German officials already calling for football salary caps.

We haven’t even got this season back underway and finished off the greatest ever performance at this stage in the history of the top 5 European leagues, and we’re already seeing pessimism about our chances for next year.

Some commitment, that. Fair play.

City players can want to leave as much as they like.  It’s not happening.  Money is essentially worthless to the owners.  Selling De Bruyne whilst being out of Europe would make it impossible to replace him so it just won’t happen. It’s fantasy land to think otherwise.

I’f be surprised if Sane left this season as well.  Nobody has got money to spend.

The salary cap is in the same fantasy land.  Half of cities wages don’t go through the books.  It would just play into the cheats hands.  Less tax to the government and fears that the best players won’t come here anymore would end any idea of it either way.

6 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

We haven’t even got this season back underway and finished off the greatest ever performance at this stage in the history of the top 5 European leagues, and we’re already seeing pessimism about our chances for next year.

Some commitment, that. Fair play.

Hysterical fannyism. It's a way of life.

8 hours ago, The Guest said:

City players can want to leave as much as they like.  It’s not happening.  Money is essentially worthless to the owners.  Selling De Bruyne whilst being out of Europe would make it impossible to replace him so it just won’t happen. It’s fantasy land to think otherwise.

I’f be surprised if Sane left this season as well.  Nobody has got money to spend.

The salary cap is in the same fantasy land.  Half of cities wages don’t go through the books.  It would just play into the cheats hands.  Less tax to the government and fears that the best players won’t come here anymore would end any idea of it either way.

Be funny if Liverpool said to Sane we will match your wages just to find out if what he says hes on matches what cities books say.

8 hours ago, The Guest said:

This is a fair comment although keeping unhappy players can have a negative effect both on the players themselves (Chelsea players are a good example of this) and in the dressing room. That would be a vicious balancing act.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Be funny if Liverpool said to Sane we will match your wages just to find out if what he says hes on matches what cities books say.

It’s impossible to know what cities “books” say for Sane because it’s all lumped into 1 figure in the accounts which includes every wage they pay.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

This is a fair comment although keeping unhappy players can have a negative effect both on the players themselves (Chelsea players are a good example of this) and in the dressing room. That would be a vicious balancing act.

I think players hold the power at most if not all clubs because they can down tools and the club still had to fork out their wages which tends to force them to sell.  City Just don’t have that problem because money is no object and the players know that too.  It’s why we’ve never seen them bullied into losing players ever.  They could kill De Bruynes career and would have no problem doing it to stop him playing for a rival here or in Europe.  They’ve pretty much tried to do it to Sane as soon as it was clear he wasn’t signing a new contract.

Unless Newcastle start swinging their Mickey around I can't see much activity from any off the big clubs. How you can buy when you don't know the value any more? Same with selling players, unless they want out badly you would keep them. The only clubs that will sell are the ones facing ruin.

The Newcastle thing is right kick in the hole for the game, this crisis gave the game an opportunity to reduce transfer fees and wages and they will go and fuck that up.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

Unless Newcastle start swinging their Mickey around I can't see much activity from any off the big clubs. How you can buy when you don't know the value any more? Same with selling players, unless they want out badly you would keep them. The only clubs that will sell are the ones facing ruin.

The Newcastle thing is right kick in the hole for the game, this crisis gave the game an opportunity to reduce transfer fees and wages and they will go and fuck that up.

Hahaha I used to call it that when I was a kid. Not heard that expression in years. Thanks.