You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

And Rush came back a year later didn't he? 

If we lost say Salah and Klopp replaced him the way Kenny replaced Rush we would be fucking laughing. It would be liking selling Salah and signing Werner, Sancho and Haverts

40 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If we lost say Salah and Klopp replaced him the way Kenny replaced Rush we would be fucking laughing. It would be liking selling Salah and signing Werner, Sancho and Haverts

I can't see Aldridge and Bobby clicking. 

34 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

My point is some people are driven by money

350 years won’t change that. 

Us paying similar wages does change that. VvD is on 200k here. I could easily see the club making him the top earner and going to 300 tbh.

There is only one player at Juve on more than 300 and he is a global brand. 

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Will the fact we’re losing three big players to the AFCON have an effect on the summer’s strategy? Maybe there is some truth to the Werner rumours. 

I think AFCON moving makes it more likely we will sell one of our front two (obviously not including Bobby).

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

And Rush came back a year later didn't he? Souness and Keegan are definitely great players who left but they seemed to be replaced relatively seamlessly. Suarez leaving left a massive hole.

We had a massive tit in charge at the time, it was expected.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Us paying similar wages does change that. VvD is on 200k here. I could easily see the club making him the top earner and going to 300 tbh.

There is only one player at Juve on more than 300 and he is a global brand. 

Aaron Ramsey is a global brand???

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

But the club may want to cash in on them ....

That’d be idiotic. They should have a look at Bayern’s relatively recent struggle to replace ‘Robbery’, to see how difficult it is to find elite level goalscoring wideplayers. The only we’d let either of them leave is if we find ourselves a 25-30 goal striker IMO, and then we’d set up our attack differently. Not to mention that we don’t need the cash.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, viRdjil said:

That’d be idiotic. They should have a look at Bayern’s relatively recent struggle to replace ‘Robbery’, to see how difficult it is to find elite level goalscoring wideplayers. The only we’d let either of them leave is if we find ourselves a 25-30 goal striker IMO, and then we’d set up our attack differently. Not to mention that we don’t need the cash.

I disagree to an extent. I wouldn't say wide forwards of Salah and Mané's caliber grow on trees, but there are more and more of those types of forwards nowadays and "true" #9's are a bit on the decline.

Also, whilst Salah and Mané were quite underrated when we signed them, they still weren't the mega stars they are now. Credit should go to them for their personal improvement, but Klopp just did what he does with them, which is make attacking players become extremely good.

I think our back 5 is pretty irreplaceable, but I wouldn't necessarily say the same for Salah and Mané. I think if we were to sign their "replacement" this summer, sell one of them the next, and then replace him, and sell the other in say, 2022, we should be fine.

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Melissa Reddy in the Independent reckons we wont sign anyone in the summer and only value Havertz at about £42m.

I'd be surprised if we didn't sign any full back cover. Or possibly another forward. But it would say a lot about the tightness of the squad - apart from its obvious quality - if we didn't change anything...

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I disagree to an extent. I wouldn't say wide forwards of Salah and Mané's caliber grow on trees, but there are more and more of those types of forwards nowadays and "true" #9's are a bit on the decline.

Also, whilst Salah and Mané were quite underrated when we signed them, they still weren't the mega stars they are now. Credit should go to them for their personal improvement, but Klopp just did what he does with them, which is make attacking players become extremely good.

I think our back 5 is pretty irreplaceable, but I wouldn't necessarily say the same for Salah and Mané. I think if we were to sign their "replacement" this summer, sell one of them the next, and then replace him, and sell the other in say, 2022, we should be fine.

Not sure, because if one of Salah or Mané was off, that would break the balance of the whole attack.

I hope they both stay, which means the club won’t cash in on them, and I’m sure M’Bappé and Werner will be fine to wait until the Afcon to prove every one they’re better than bench warmers.

29 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Not sure, because if one of Salah or Mané was off, that would break the balance of the whole attack.

I hope they both stay, which means the club won’t cash in on them, and I’m sure M’Bappé and Werner will be fine to wait until the Afcon to prove every one they’re better than bench warmers.

The balance of this particular attack would change if one of them leaves, but I think klopp would just get us playing differently with a new player in there. After Mane's 1st season, nobody thought he would be playing off the left wing the following year and would go on to be a better and more influential player playing there. Then nobody would have put Bobby in the number 9 position - or as my view is we don't really play at all with a number 9, all 3 of our forwards start their positions of the 3 in a 4231, but we don't have the 1 and it's the job of one of them at any given time to effectively do 2 jobs. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

She seemed to rule out everyone except Timo Werner. 

Reddy knows fuck all which has not already been discussed for months on here or other sites.  She states the obvious and has built a career around it.

We obviously won't pay big money for Havertz, Sancho etc unless we sell someone for big money.  We're interested in Werner, no shit we wanted him last Season.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I agree if we didn't replace them, but I think it's implied that if one of them goes, we would sign a player with similar qualities. And I think those players exist.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Find it hard to believe we would scare up another wide player who would score at the rate Salah has.

Salah scored 19 goals in all comps the season before we signed him, Mané had 15. I think it's very possible we could find a player in Europe with that kind of record that we could turn into a star. But obviously, we can aim higher with our signings than that now anyway.

But this is all moot unless one of them actually wants to go.