You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

What seems to actually happen though is that a number of surplus players stay out on loan rather than get sold. I'm sure that will be the case this year. In addition, there will be a youth or squad player (or two) that comes through this season to add to the loan/sell fund.

I doubt the cycle really ever stops, not if managed properly which we seem to be pretty decent at.

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is anyone gonna be that mad if we sell one of the front three next summer? Seems like a pretty natural progression of the squad to me.

It does to me as well, but whichever way, any summer window is 8 months away.

Given how the last 8 months have gone in the world, nothing is guaranteed.

Its nothing we can influence, so there is no point worrying about it. 

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is anyone gonna be that mad if we sell one of the front three next summer? Seems like a pretty natural progression of the squad to me.

I fully expected one of them to move on this summer before the whole Covid shitshow. I thought winning a title would be a natural departure point for Salah or Mane. Phenomenal to have the three together for another season but it’s probably likely things will be shaken up somewhat next summer. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I fully expected one of them to move on this summer before the whole Covid shitshow. I thought winning a title would be a natural departure point for Salah or Mane. Phenomenal to have the three together for another season but it’s probably likely things will be shaken up somewhat next summer. 

Nah, honestly the thought never entered my head. Both Real Madrid and Barcelona being shit shows, there's really no one who'd offer them a challenge.

The only reason I could see Sadio leave is if he finally thinks he's had enough of being hooked while Mo isnt. To be honest, if Bobby doesnt get showing his true form this season, I think there may be a danger we bring someone else in and he's pushed out next summer.

Say we sign Mbappe. He’ll be 22 next summer. If we signed him for 4 years, he has 4 trophy laden seasons with us & then he left at 26/27 for Madrid for a kings ransom, could we complain to much? 

Like the mancs and Ronaldo. The mancs were always probably a stepping stone but what a 4/5 years he gave them before he left.

10 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

i disagree. They are 29, at their peak and just at the start of a trophy laden era. Why leave/sell?

It will be a fine balance, but the way the club is run, you would think if we want to continue competing at the top of the market for the best players in the near future, we will equally need to sell some of our best players. And if we time it right, we can keep a core of top players, keep winning, but continuously rebuild the squad.

Or we could just decide to keep Salah and Mané until they have no more sell on value but that doesn't seem like something we would do. And also, you don't want to be in a situation where you have to replace them all at once a few years down the line.

7 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

i disagree. They are 29, at their peak and just at the start of a trophy laden era. Why leave/sell?

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Nah, honestly the thought never entered my head. Both Real Madrid and Barcelona being shit shows, there's really no one who'd offer them a challenge.

The only reason I could see Sadio leave is if he finally thinks he's had enough of being hooked while Mo isnt. To be honest, if Bobby doesnt get showing his true form this season, I think there may be a danger we bring someone else in and he's pushed out next summer.

Hope you’re calling it better than me, but both Mane and Salah are obsessively driven and I reckon they’ll both seek a different challenge at some point. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It will be a fine balance, but the way the club is run, you would think if we want to continue competing at the top of the market for the best players in the near future, we will equally need to sell some of our best players. And if we time it right, we can keep a core of top players, keep winning, but continuously rebuild the squad.

Or we could just decide to keep Salah and Mané until they have no more sell on value but that doesn't seem like something we would do. And also, you don't want to be in a situation where you have to replace them all at once a few years down the line.

Yes but none of that explains why we would ever have considered selling them this summer. Mebbe one of them next summer.

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Hope you’re calling it better than me, but both Mane and Salah are obsessively driven and I reckon they’ll both seek a different challenge at some point. 

I’m not sure what’ll happen either way, and to be honest, given the amount of times we’ve got this right over the past 4/5 years, I’ve confidence in whatever Klopp and Edwards decide.

What I would say is, if Mane or Salah want a new challenge, I don’t think the pair could have given the club any more, they’ve given us all some incredible lifelong memories and I’d wish them all the best. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Even if they want another challenge, there's a pretty small pools of clubs who could afford them, especially if you assume we won't sell to English rivals. If we are serious about mbappe, perhaps one of them could go in the opposite direction. And when they're hitting 30, which they will be, even if the Spanish clubs weren't in a mess, you'd assume they'd be looking at younger. 

58 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Say we sign Mbappe. He’ll be 22 next summer. If we signed him for 4 years, he has 4 trophy laden seasons with us & then he left at 26/27 for Madrid for a kings ransom, could we complain to much? 

Like the mancs and Ronaldo. The mancs were always probably a stepping stone but what a 4/5 years he gave them before he left.

We’d better sign him next summer because I’m taking this as you and FSG promising it. 

No pressure.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Scott_M said:

In

Jota - £45m

Thiago - £25m

Tsimikas - £12m

Out

Brewster - £23.5m

Lovren - £11m

Hoever - £10m

Out - £72m

In - £54m

Not sure if those figures are 100% accurate but they’ll be close enough.

Er, not sure on your maths here, mate.

For one, you've mixed up out and in at the bottom. For another, you've gone 10m too low on the "In" figure. And then 9m too high on the "Out" figure.

But your point, which is that we might come close to breaking even, probably just about still stands. Depending on whether we manage to sell Shaqiri, Wilson, and Grujic, and how much we get for them, that is. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Er, not sure on your maths here, mate.

For one, you've mixed up out and in at the bottom. For another, you've gone 10m too low on the "In" figure. And then 9m too high on the "Out" figure.

But your point, which is that we might come close to breaking even, probably just about still stands. Depending on whether we manage to sell Shaqiri, Wilson, and Grujic, and how much we get for them, that is. 

Players Out = $$$ In