You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Liverpool are set to complete the signing of Fluminense goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga for €2M + clauses. #LFC

Fluminense have agreed to sell goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga to Liverpool after they made a new and improved offer. The fee was of £1,82M and Fluminense will keep a 20% sell on clause on the Brazilian. Pitaluga spoke with Alisson via his brother Muriel. [@UOLEsporte] https://t.co/YHyF4BYm7j

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

i don't think any of our current front 3 were smashing it at 21. 

Mane was a regular starter and scorer at Salzburg.

Salah was a regular at Basel - knocked in 10 in season he turned 21.

Firmino was a regular for Hoffenheim and was scoring.

All modestish clubs but all in top division of where they played.

Maybe not evidence of doing it at highest level, but all better than Brewster at same stage.

Brewster of course is at a much bigger club and behind much better players, not his fault of course - but for me he has to do something over next 12 months - 24 tops or he isn't making it here IMHO.

10 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool are set to complete the signing of Fluminense goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga for €2M + clauses. #LFC

Fluminense have agreed to sell goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga to Liverpool after they made a new and improved offer. The fee was of £1,82M and Fluminense will keep a 20% sell on clause on the Brazilian. Pitaluga spoke with Alisson via his brother Muriel. [@UOLEsporte] https://t.co/YHyF4BYm7j

We only have like 8 million keepers now. Lets get more.

22 minutes ago, an tha said:

Mane was a regular starter and scorer at Salzburg.

Salah was a regular at Basel - knocked in 10 in season he turned 21.

Firmino was a regular for Hoffenheim and was scoring.

All modestish clubs but all in top division of where they played.

Maybe not evidence of doing it at highest level, but all better than Brewster at same stage.

Brewster of course is at a much bigger club and behind much better players, not his fault of course - but for me he has to do something over next 12 months - 24 tops or he isn't making it here IMHO.

And Brewster has just done 11 or 12 goals in the championship in half a season which is probably the level of where mane and Salah were playing domestically. And I reckon Hoffenheim would take him in a heartbeat now if they could afford him. And Brewster isn't 21 yet ( in fact he only turned 20 at Swansea) and had maybe over a year out injured. He's just way to early in his curve to write off based on "he should have made it by now" theory. 

By the way, if you asked me to make a judgement, I'd say he'll make a career somewhere between the bottom of the Prem and the top the championship. I think his all round game is pretty poor and while he's a good finisher, he's not a magician like Fowler was etc. So I don't think he's going to be a superstar, but it's way to early to rule that out as our current front 3 show, which I guess is my point. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And Brewster has just done 11 or 12 goals in the championship in half a season which is probably the level of where mane and Salah were playing domestically. And I reckon Hoffenheim would take him in a heartbeat now if they could afford him. And Brewster isn't 21 yet ( in fact he only turned 20 at Swansea) and had maybe over a year out injured. He's just way to early in his curve to write off based on "he should have made it by now" theory. 

By the way, if you asked me to make a judgement, I'd say he'll make a career somewhere between the bottom of the Prem and the top the championship. I think his all round game is pretty poor and while he's a good finisher, he's not a magician like Fowler was etc. So I don't think he's going to be a superstar, but it's way to early to rule that out as our current front 3 show, which I guess is my point. 

Not unfair...i suppose i an really comparing him to even the likes of Rashford for example.....

I suppose difference is Rashford got and took his chance, same with Greenwood now.

I just feel 21/22 is the max if someone is gonna be top class - if you haven't seen something by then that suggests it then it probably won't happen...always exceptions of course.

Totally fair point about him missing loads of football (i acknowledged that myself earlier in thread)

These next two years are massive for him - it is highly unlikely now he is gonna be a Fowler or an Owen or a Kane at Spurs - but he could go on and maybe have a career that is stellar, my view is similar to yours he'll have a decent but not stellar career.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

That is a constant cause of laughter with me and some of my mates. I love the idea Klopp makes them all feel a part of the squad, but ffs, have some humility you must have known you contributed less than the fucking ball boys and they didn't get a medal. 

Aye, it came across as fairly charmless if not thoroughly obnoxious to me. Aside from my own thoughts on stuff like that, didn't quite seem to chime with Klopp's whole humble and hungry ethos either.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He may be an outlier, but had Harry Kane shown anything at Brewster's age? As far as I can tell he had a few loans and never got close to 10 in 20 for a Championship side.

Brewster's still got time, and I'd prefer to see him loaned or kept, for now. He's shown a clinical side that hints he could make the step up.

Agreed. Id like to see Brewster retained this season even in preference to a sale with 'buy back' clause. Jurgen can make it a sink or swim season for him if you like but I dont think you can keep loaning young players out if we expect them to succeed here.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Not unfair...i suppose i an really comparing him to even the likes of Rashford for example.....

I suppose difference is Rashford got and took his chance, same with Greenwood now.

I just feel 21/22 is the max if someone is gonna be top class - if you haven't seen something by then that suggests it then it probably won't happen...always exceptions of course.

Totally fair point about him missing loads of football (i acknowledged that myself earlier in thread)

These next two years are massive for him - it is highly unlikely now he is gonna be a Fowler or an Owen or a Kane at Spurs - but he could go on and maybe have a career that is stellar, my view is similar to yours he'll have a decent but not stellar career.

Ian Wright is the exception as I believe he was 26 when he moved to Arsenal. Up to that point he was playing for Palace and Lord knows who before that. He made his career though from there on.

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Part of the problem that Brewster, or any striker has got playing here is that we don't really play with a striker.

If we continue to play with the same front three, then Brewster has no chance making it here.  

I don't think that's an issue if you have the talent, klopp will just find a way to shape the team. In fact only on Saturday we went 4231 to accommodate minamino when he came on. Same could happen for Brewster, but what klopp won't have is a poor all round game, he insists on every player helping the team 1st, I don't know yet if Brewster has that. 

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He may be an outlier, but had Harry Kane shown anything at Brewster's age? As far as I can tell he had a few loans and never got close to 10 in 20 for a Championship side.

Brewster's still got time, and I'd prefer to see him loaned or kept, for now. He's shown a clinical side that hints he could make the step up.

I think kane was 21 when he started to score for spurs 

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Part of the problem that Brewster, or any striker has got playing here is that we don't really play with a striker.

If we continue to play with the same front three, then Brewster has no chance making it here.  

I'd sell Brewster tomorrow if clubs accept a buy-back clause for pretty much this reason. Klopp said it himself, his all around game isn't great. He looks like a Darren Bent type, imo. Could score 15-20 goals in a league season at some point, but does he have the touch, vision, presence on the pitch to be great? Nah, not really. We'll probably just loan him, though. 

Brewster just doesn't suit our set up at the moment. He's a great goalscorer but the rest of his game is average at best. 

Only got to look at his passing stats at Swansea off the top of my head he passes about a third of Firmino stats per game and where Bobby is around 90% completion Brewster was close to 60%.

If we can get a good fee and add a good priced buy back it makes a lot of sense. If he is brilliant but still doesn't fit we do what Madrid do and buy him back to then immediately sell him for a huge profit

6 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Kane was born July 93...

The 2013/14 season would be his equivalent of where Brewster is now.

Kane made 10 league appearances for Spurs that season scoring 3 goals....19 apperances all comps/4 goals.

The following season when he was 21 at start of it and 22 just after it ended he scored 31 goals for them.

Klopp doesn’t sell Brewster unless he has to. 

Reality has struck. No offers have come in for Wilson, Grujic and co. Interest has probably been shown for Brewster.

Question has therefore been posed to him by Edwards/Owners - if you want to strengthen, you can sell Brewster now and use that money. Otherwise you’re going into this season with the squad that we have until somebody comes in with the offers, and that could be October. 

Agree on Brewsters game not being suited to us. But he’s 21 and is a deadly finisher. The rest of his game can be developed, and Klopp loves developing a player. 

• Upvote 2