You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

46 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Opening line says it all. No need to read any further.

If anyone thinks a three-ring circus of a club like Newcastle, has someone negotiating transfers, who's doing it better than Michael Edwards, considering the numerous deals he's pulled off in recent years, then I have no words to describe how...

Correct. It seems some people were saying Edwards drove a hard bargain and was a tough negotiator over the last few seasons but now, he's driving too hard a bargain and negotiating too toughly. Funny old world!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Opening line says it all. No need to read any further.

If anyone thinks a three-ring circus of a club like Newcastle, has someone negotiating transfers, who's doing it better than Michael Edwards, considering the numerous deals he's pulled off in recent years, then I have no words to describe how...

I don't really know what you're talking about to be honest. We've bought some good players, I'm not sure the deals were that sparking except when we've exploited release clauses and that's not magic negotiating. Very few people though mane and Salah were bargains for instance, vvd and alisson were world records, so even if they turn out well, they are not bargains. Klopp has made all of these players into world beaters, so they obviously look great now, but I put that down to klopp and I don't think we've bought what would be deemed cheaply. 

He does a fine job at selling, but selling is a different skill to buying and we're not talking about him selling in this instance. Also, we're getting the type of deals that man united used to get when they were good, managers hoping they can get someone and that magic rubs off. Just like they weren't after Peter Kenyon's magic, they're not after Edward's either. I say fair play to him for exploiting people, but most of that exploitation comes from klopp who for instance managed to allow Dominic solanke on to the pitch 21 times and some how have some magic effect where people outside the club thought he was a footballer, when anyone watching him properly could just see he was a big lad who runs round a bit.  

25 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

£20+ million for Callum fucking Wilson is a buyer's market?

Considering he was being touted for double that and more last season and the fact chaps like solanke cost 20m, it doesn't seem a bad deal.to me. 

40 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Considering he was being touted for double that and more last season and the fact chaps like solanke cost 20m, it doesn't seem a bad deal.to me. 

You not confused with Josh King?

I don’t believe it’s a buyers market either. Dortmund and Leverkusen have refused to budge on valuations for their star players (Leverkusen got what they wanted, Dortmund didn’t). 

£40m for Ake.

£50m for Chilwell. 

£40m for Van De Beek (Real Madrid had the same bid accepted before COVID19).

The only buyers market signings to me seem to be Ferran Torres and Rodrigo, which says more about Valencia than the market.

39 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

You not confused with Josh King?

I don’t believe it’s a buyers market either. Dortmund and Leverkusen have refused to budge on valuations for their star players (Leverkusen got what they wanted, Dortmund didn’t). 

£40m for Ake.

£50m for Chilwell. 

£40m for Van De Beek (Real Madrid had the same bid accepted before COVID19).

The only buyers market signings to me seem to be Ferran Torres and Rodrigo, which says more about Valencia than the market.

50m for Chilwell and 40m for vdB are low fees. Chilwell should have gone for Maguire money and vdB 20 or 30m more. 70m for Havertz is also a low fee. It has turned into a bit of a buyer's market if you have the money. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

50m for Chilwell and 40m for vdB are low fees. Chilwell should have gone for Maguire money and vdB 20 or 30m more. 70m for Havertz is also a low fee. It has turned into a bit of a buyer's market if you have the money. 

Wan Bissaka, Kyle Walker & Benjamin Mendy all went for c.£50m.

Chilwell is in the same bracket as those players. That’s not a buyers market, that’s market value. 

Seeing Ajax had already agreed to sell Van De Beek to Real Madrid before COVID19 for a similar amount, again, that’s market value. 

Havertz is £71m with bonuses, rising to c.£100m. That’s a similar price as Hazard, Bale & Ronaldo have commanded. Considering what those players have achieved, I don’t think that’s a low fee at all.  

Paywall removed for the weekend so it's free to read'

he Havertz and the have-nots of the summer transfer window are quickly becoming clear and whatever change might come in the frantic last trading days at the beginning of October, Chelsea look like the boldest investors for now.

Kai, the most expensive Havertz ever to change hands in world football, arrived at Stamford Bridge on Friday, an impeccable English-speaking German prodigy of impeccable football pedigree. Havertz, Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Ben Chilwell – these are the expensive sons of four of European football’s most upwardly-mobile clubs and all of them at Chelsea for combined fees in excess of £200 million. Chelsea are playing catch-up with three transfer windows crammed into one and the extraordinary £142 million fee extracted from Real Madrid for Eden Hazard – as well as £50 million for Alvaro Morata - being reinvested at last.

For Frank Lampard, however lean the first two transfer windows of his Chelsea management life, the expectation of success rises accordingly. The perception is that a ticket has been bought to the Premier League title race and his team will be expected to play their part. The academy boys promoted for 2019-2020 are under pressure. So too their young manager – and the old accusations of an easy ride for an English coach will never be far away. If last year required one strategy, the one needed this time is very different.

No time to work with his players yet, with nine of them having isolated because of Covid positive tests or quarantine protocols. Thiago Silva, his old hand to lend the defence some experience, is still yet to train with the squad as the Brazilian completes his quarantine. Ziyech was injured in last Saturday’s friendly against Brighton, a blow to his knee that will most likely rules him out the start of the season. Chilwell is also still training alone with an injury that means he is a doubt for the opener against Brighton.

With Covid comes new challenges for all managers, although at Chelsea, the influx of new players makes this a puzzle like no other. Come Thursday, Lampard will have most of his squad training together for the first time in pre-season, four days before their first game. There is no option but for the team’s shape to be finessed as the season progresses with more changes before the window closes on Oct 5. There is a 33-point gap to be made up on champions Liverpool from last season and 15 to Manchester City in second.

Kai Havertz signs for Chelsea FC alongside Head Coach Frank Lampard
Kai Havertz is Chelsea's most expensive buy of the summer Credit: Getty Images

The Havertz and the have-nots of the summer transfer window are quickly becoming clear and whatever change might come in the frantic last trading days at the beginning of October, Chelsea look like the boldest investors for now.

Kai, the most expensive Havertz ever to change hands in world football, arrived at Stamford Bridge on Friday, an impeccable English-speaking German prodigy of impeccable football pedigree. Havertz, Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Ben Chilwell – these are the expensive sons of four of European football’s most upwardly-mobile clubs and all of them at Chelsea for combined fees in excess of £200 million. Chelsea are playing catch-up with three transfer windows crammed into one and the extraordinary £142 million fee extracted from Real Madrid for Eden Hazard – as well as £50 million for Alvaro Morata - being reinvested at last.

For Frank Lampard, however lean the first two transfer windows of his Chelsea management life, the expectation of success rises accordingly. The perception is that a ticket has been bought to the Premier League title race and his team will be expected to play their part. The academy boys promoted for 2019-2020 are under pressure. So too their young manager – and the old accusations of an easy ride for an English coach will never be far away. If last year required one strategy, the one needed this time is very different.

No time to work with his players yet, with nine of them having isolated because of Covid positive tests or quarantine protocols. Thiago Silva, his old hand to lend the defence some experience, is still yet to train with the squad as the Brazilian completes his quarantine. Ziyech was injured in last Saturday’s friendly against Brighton, a blow to his knee that will most likely rules him out the start of the season. Chilwell is also still training alone with an injury that means he is a doubt for the opener against Brighton.

With Covid comes new challenges for all managers, although at Chelsea, the influx of new players makes this a puzzle like no other. Come Thursday, Lampard will have most of his squad training together for the first time in pre-season, four days before their first game. There is no option but for the team’s shape to be finessed as the season progresses with more changes before the window closes on Oct 5. There is a 33-point gap to be made up on champions Liverpool from last season and 15 to Manchester City in second.

At the heart of the unresolved decisions is the awkward issue of goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, the signing the club wish to come good as much as they did any of those transfer busts over the years - from Andriy Shevchenko to Fernando Torres. There is no market for a world-record fee goalkeeper who has lost the confidence of his manager, or at least not a market in which Chelsea want to sell. With every game he is dropped so his resale value falls and yet Lampard felt he could no longer trust him come the end of last season. He could hardly have been clearer with his selection of Willy Caballero.

There is no Chelsea-standard goalkeeper on the market – certainly not one who matches peak Petr Cech or Thibaut Courtois although there are options considered preferable to Arrizabalaga. Should Chelsea, for instance, sign Edouard Mendy from Rennes and install him as their No 1 for around €30 million, then it would be hard to ask for more for Arrizabalaga. Sooner rather than later, a difficult call must be made.

Then there is the question of the young players promoted by Lampard last season, a feel-good factor that sustained them in the embargo world. Lampard has been uncompromising about offering no favours to academy boys in competition for places with expensive new signings – having been given none himself as a Chelsea player. There was no question that Callum Hudson-Odoi and Tammy Abraham lost their way last season and no guarantee they might find it back again.

Both of them are at a crossroads in their career that many confront at a much later stages. Abraham lost his place to Olivier Giroud whom Lampard would previously have sold in January. Hudson-Odoi did not start a single game in the restart. Both young men have survived the blast furnace of the journey from Chelsea’s academy to its first team that in itself can feel like a career in miniature. It is also no secret that the club pay some of the most lucrative first-time professional deals in the game. The question is whether they are ready now for the gruelling challenge of being the homegrown boys who have to fight for their place anew every season.

It is why Declan Rice would be such an attractive option, a homegrown Chelsea player who slipped away and was perhaps the better for the experience. He would add height and power to what is still quite a diminutive central midfield selection, with doubts over how the star of the show, N’Golo Kante, sees his future. What is the shape of this new Chelsea team? It is a question that Lampard is obliged to solve quickly as the games go by and the pieces change - and the pressure becomes that bit more urgent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/05/pressure-frank-lampard-piece-together-chelseas-expensively-assembled/

I have a feeling that 4-2-3-1 was always going to the next evolution for this team and based on pre-season it looks like that is certainly the case. Given that, the below probably looks like us next season with Hendo/Taki/Oxet al all interchanging:

Alison

Trent Gomez VVD Robertson

Thiago Fabinho

Salah Keita Mane

Bobby

You can see where Werner would have gotten minutes (on either wing or up front with Bobby behind him). Same goes for Haverts. Bring in Thiago and an attacker and I think we will be okay. But we NEED an attacker.

8 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I have a feeling that 4-2-3-1 was always going to the next evolution for this team and based on pre-season it looks like that is certainly the case. Given that, the below probably looks like us next season with Hendo/Taki/Oxet al all interchanging:

Alison

Trent Gomez VVD Robertson

Thiago Fabinho

Salah Keita Mane

Bobby

You can see where Werner would have gotten minutes (on either wing or up front with Bobby behind him). Same goes for Haverts. Bring in Thiago and an attacker and I think we will be okay. But we NEED an attacker.

Thiago, Fabinho, Keita and Henderson will play deep. Jones played there too today. Can have Henderson and Ox on the right. Minamino, Firmino, Jones and potentially Thiago at 10. Not Keita, I don't see it.

And then Salah, Firmino and Origi up top. But you're right that it would look better with a new striker if that is gonna be the tactic. If Firmino is the 9 in that formation, with a player behind him, it suits him less.

One winger would make all the difference to the squad. Reckon Chamberlain will struggle to get playing time myself. Jones, Nabby, Firmino and Miamino will all be ahead of him in that 10 role. 

The formation makes sense and possibly might suit Origi getting games through the middle if we don't upgrade

• Upvote 1

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Like clockwork.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/takumi-minamino-liverpool-transfers-klopp-18885639

Liverpool unearth Philippe Coutinho replacement as Takumi Minamino silences Jurgen Klopp transfer concern

Jurgen Klopp has been handed a huge boost ahead of the new season following a scintillating display from Takumi Minamino

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

I think I'd prefer to see Brewster given a go rather than Origi. I also wonder if we'll keep Phillips around for now if we don't buy another centre back? I'm guessing Koumetio is ahead of him now but he is only 17.

Koumetio had a turgid first half today so not sure about him being ahead of Phillips.

But the lad is young and shouldnt be written off because of that display. Thinking about it, it was the perfect game for Jurgen to test him in. League One opponents who wouldnt tear him a complete new one if he did get caught out. Both would have found out a lot from that game.

21 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We’ll have the last laugh when all these teams that are spending money go into administration next season. 

Playing the long game I see. 

Problem is if everyone goes under Everton will probably stay up even with a 10pts deduction. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thiago, Fabinho, Keita and Henderson will play deep. Jones played there too today. Can have Henderson and Ox on the right. Minamino, Firmino, Jones and potentially Thiago at 10. Not Keita, I don't see it.

And then Salah, Firmino and Origi up top. But you're right that it would look better with a new striker if that is gonna be the tactic. If Firmino is the 9 in that formation, with a player behind him, it suits him less.

I largely agree fella - was just trying to get Keita/Thiago/Fab in the same team (Hendo may be injured for the first few games) and felt Naby is the most progressive.

Ideally Dazzler plays behind the striker, we'd fuck off Origi (in a non offensive sense) and buy someone who can play up top or on the right (with Salah at #9). Daka, for instance, although he may be too young.

Laying it out like that, it's so frustrating because we don't really need to do much! Thiago and an attacker, balanced by Wijnaldum and Origi out is literally 1-in-1-out too, before you even get to Wilson/Gruijc/etc.

8 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I largely agree fella - was just trying to get Keita/Thiago/Fab in the same team (Hendo may be injured for the first few games) and felt Naby is the most progressive.

Ideally Dazzler plays behind the striker, we'd fuck off Origi (in a non offensive sense) and buy someone who can play up top or on the right (with Salah at #9). Daka, for instance, although he may be too young.

Laying it out like that, it's so frustrating because we don't really need to do much! Thiago and an attacker, balanced by Wijnaldum and Origi out is literally 1-in-1-out too, before you even get to Wilson/Gruijc/etc.

Agreed. Was not too fussed about losing out on Werner but as it's likely to be nobody instead of him, it does feel like there is one more player missing. Only chance of one coming in is if we can sell a couple, you'd think.

It is funny though, that our team has shifted very quietly towards suiting a 4-2-3-1 more than a 4-3-3. Especially the fringe players. Origi, Brewster, Minamino. Shaqiri and Wilson, if we keep them. It feels like all of them would benefit from that change of system. 

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Wan Bissaka, Kyle Walker & Benjamin Mendy all went for c.£50m.

Chilwell is in the same bracket as those players. That’s not a buyers market, that’s market value. 

Seeing Ajax had already agreed to sell Van De Beek to Real Madrid before COVID19 for a similar amount, again, that’s market value. 

Havertz is £71m with bonuses, rising to c.£100m. That’s a similar price as Hazard, Bale & Ronaldo have commanded. Considering what those players have achieved, I don’t think that’s a low fee at all.  

Chilwell isn’t in those brackets as he’s injured far too often. What can be said however is that capital is very comfortable to come by despite covid (I.e see Tottenham’s remarkable loan from BoE). It makes it all the more risible that FSG are not spending money - it has never been cheaper to borrow in human history than it is now.