You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's another who's too rich for our blood. 

You'd like to think that we have barely ever been more attractive than we are now - it would be really fucking lousy if this time passes and we don't build from this position of strength because the timing coincides with all this 'financial uncertainty'.

It was bad enough us turning to shite just as money started to flow into game - being boss just as the arse falls out of everything as well would be sickening.

Just now, johnsusername said:

Chelsea remind me a bit of when Tottenham bought all those players with the Bale money. They were all the hipsters favourites but amounted to fuck all.

I hope I'm right though cos it does look a decent squad. 

Yeah Pulisic was coming very good towards the end of the season. They've added two players we were after to that. They look a very good side. If they had a more experienced manager in there you would really worry. That said, he knows the club inside out and he fans will be right behind him all the way. 

Chelsea are signing good players, talent is not gonna be the issue. The problem for them is how to create a balanced side with all of them in positions to succeed, and frankly I don't know how they'll do it. They've definitely gone overkill on the attacking players. They could do some kind of 4-2-4, but then they'll concede lots of goals. 

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

You'd like to think that we have barely ever been more attractive than we are now - it would be really fucking lousy if this time passes and we don't build from this position of strength because the timing coincides with all this 'financial uncertainty'.

It was bad enough us turning to shite just as money started to flow into game - being boss just as the arse falls out of everything as well would be sickening.

That's been the cycle though hasn't it. When Fsg were first here we were told we couldn't attract top players because we didn't have CL. Then we were told we could attract some, but in order to afford them we'd have to sell our best players. Now we're told we can't afford the best players because we've wages to play. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Chelsea are signing good players, talent is not gonna be the issue. The problem for them is how to create a balanced side with all of them in positions to succeed, and frankly I don't know how they'll do it. They've definitely gone overkill on the attacking players. They could do some kind of 4-2-4, but then they'll concede lots of goals. 

Or they've identified this season is going to be like no other and having players to rotate who play in the top 3rd is going to be crucial..

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's been the cycle though hasn't it. When Fsg were first here we were told we couldn't attract top players because we didn't have CL. Then we were told we could attract some, but in order to afford them we'd have to sell our best players. Now we're told we can't afford the best players because we've wages to play. 

It would certainly not sit well to stand still over this and next season - especially given what we are up against.

It was always what we did in our pomp wasn't it to add one or two from a position of strength and be constantly improving.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why?

Didn't they already announce they are going back to three subs?

I'm pretty sure we're back to 3 subs. The 1st blank midweek is the midweek before Xmas. We're compressing the normally already hectic calendar into an entire month less. After having only 2-3 weeks off depending on your side and a shortened preseason to prepare the players. This season will absolutely be like no other. 

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

It would certainly not sit well to stand still over this and next season - especially given what we are up against.

It was always what we did in our pomp wasn't it to add one or two from a position of strength and be constantly improving.

It was exactly that and they were talking about that on that BBC show last night. But our ambition then was to win the league every year. I don't think there'd be many upset on the board where we finish as long as it's in the top 4 and we get to the last 8 of the CL. 

It’s ridiculous if we don’t capitalise on our current position and sign the best. Even the tight bastards who own us must see that prices are still increasing despite what they hoped, therefore their players (assets) are also increasing. 

Without disrespecting the lad it still feels a bit 2005 when you think you might be getting a prime Shevchenko but Crouch rolls in. Crouch was good but not elite. (I know Shevchenko but you know what I mean)

We need to be more ruthless at the lower end, Ojo, Woodburn etc, they’re never going to play for the first team but still probably collecting the thick end of 250k a year each, get them fucked off asap. 

Just get ready for when Klopp leaves, any superstars who remain will be past it and signings will be the then equivalent off Cantwell / Brooks managed by someone like Farke. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

To do that a couple years running you would need to be in the top dozen or so teams in the world right?

Arsenal did it for years and didn't win a carrot, got bored with the best manager they ever had and drifted into mid table. But fsg did say when they bought us they would follow the arsenal model. 

Edit... And they used to say they were loaded too and it just wasn't quite the time to spend. But the money was there. 

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Or they've identified this season is going to be like no other and having players to rotate who play in the top 3rd is going to be crucial..

Sure, but you'd want your expensive players to all be able to fit in a system. They've bought one too many players, there's no doubt about that. Someone will leave in a huff next season. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It was exactly that and they were talking about that on that BBC show last night. But our ambition then was to win the league every year. I don't think there'd be many upset on the board where we finish as long as it's in the top 4 and we get to the last 8 of the CL. 

Would like to think that is not the case but can see the argument.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sure, but you'd want your expensive players to all be able to fit in a system. They've bought one too many players, there's no doubt about that. Someone will leave in a huff next season. 

Well that's your opinion. Personally I think they've bought really well but there's lots of players to integrate. But the side they had they've held, it's going to be a long season, so they're not under pressure to integrate them all at once. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well that's your opinion. Personally I think they've bought really well but there's lots of players to integrate. But the side they had they've held, it's going to be a long season, so they're not under pressure to integrate them all at once. 

Of course they've bought well, they're basically playing FM right now with no competition. As I've said, Lampard actually fitting them into a coherent side will be the issue and it won't be simple despite the quality of the players involved. If he can do it, that might be what proves he's a top manager in the making. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Of course. But all the evidence points to they're not arsed. 

It's a difficult argument because they can of course point very simply to winning the european cup and ending the 30 year wait to be league champions over last 2 seasons...and that isn't me defending them as i think that Klopp has got what he has to overachieve and no other manager could have won what he has with this squad.

What happens now is the acid test....i'd be stunned if Klopp can get a 3rd incredible season on spin out of them, even the cheats with all they have and a deep, deep squad found maintaining this level for a 3rd straight season last season a bridge too far....and of course our rivals are stregthening as they strive to catch us.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Of course they've bought well, they're basically playing FM right now with no competition. As I've said, Lampard actually fitting them into a coherent side will be the issue and it won't be simple despite the quality of the players involved. If he can do it, that might be what proves he's a top manager in the making. 

So they've a choice. Buy players who are better than the ones they've got or not buy players better than the ones they've got and stuck with the lads who did well but nowhere near well enough. So clearly cohesion is important, but equally good players are really important too. Talent nearly always wins through, they've a decent side anyway and pretty much everyone they've brought in is a significant step up. 

Back in the day (before transfer windows!) we bought barnes, Beardsley, Houghton and Aldridge in a 10 month spell (aldo early in the year, Barnes and Beardsley in the summer and Houghton a few games into the season)  with a manager who had 2 years of management under his belt. Everyone said that was too much at once too. I don't think they needed a game to gel, they were all just great footballers who got on with playing football and we're a magnificent side.

Over the last 15 years Chelsea have shown to have an incredible resilience to changes of players and managers. If I were a Chelsea fan, I'd be delighted with the summers work. 

If you were a Chelsea fan, which of their new players would you choose to join their rivals? 

46 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This. 

This is why we might see something mad this time around like a United or a Chelsea pulling clear. I think a lot of are underestimating the demand we're going to place on the regular starting eleven to perform to the highest level every 3 or 4 days. Without any suitable stand-in for Mane or Salah, I don't know how we're going to replicate last years form. And we're bound to see more injuries given the recovery time is shorter. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So they've a choice. Buy players who are better than the ones they've got or not buy players better than the ones they've got and stuck with the lads who did well but nowhere near well enough. So clearly cohesion is important, but equally good players are really important too. Talent nearly always wins through, they've a decent side anyway and pretty much everyone they've brought in is a significant step up. 

Back in the day (before transfer windows!) we bought barnes, Beardsley, Houghton and Aldridge in a 10 month spell (aldo early in the year, Barnes and Beardsley in the summer and Houghton a few games into the season)  with a manager who had 2 years of management under his belt. Everyone said that was too much at once too. I don't think they needed a game to gel, they were all just great footballers who got on with playing football and we're a magnificent side.

Over the last 15 years Chelsea have shown to have an incredible resilience to changes of players and managers. If I were a Chelsea fan, I'd be delighted with the summers work. 

If you were a Chelsea fan, which of their new players would you choose to join their rivals? 

You can see what they're doing. Roman is spending his own cash again because he's anticipated that others wont because of Covid and they're getting a free run at players. It's smart in their case because they can do it. The issue is with Lampard, not Chelsea. In the short term, I just question how he'll put the team together, he'll actually have a headache. I doubt he'll live up to expectations, but yeah they'll just get rid of him if he can't.