You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

I'm not the biggest fan of Havertz or his price, but I think if you look at when we struggle for form, it seems to me our biggest weakness is our possession play and that's the greatest argument for getting a player like him. We can win a game in every other way imaginable, but it feels like when we aren't good, our lack of ability to create chances through the middle, in slow build-up play is pretty obvious.

We'll get Werner, but he won't change that. He's just more of the same, which is not bad obviously, but it feels like a player who can make things happen between the lines is now even more important. 

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

We really need a midfielder than can regularly cause problems from outside the box. Other than Ox we don't have anyone that can draw a defense out by shooting from distance 

I saw a graph of our shooting positions compared to all Premier League clubs that seemed to indicate that we effectively avoid shooting from distance. I don't think we view it as an efficient way of creating chances. If you look at United, they shoot a shit load from outside the box, essentially because their chance creation is so bad and they don't have a choice. 

What we need is someone who can help us build-up the play better through the middle. A technical player who can play between the lines and receive the ball in tight spaces, because at our worst we are one-dimensional in possession. It's basically "get it wide to the fullbacks and cross it in". 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I saw a graph of our shooting positions compared to all Premier League clubs, where it seems we effectively avoid shooting from distance. I don't think we view that as an efficient way of creating chances. If you look at United, they shoot a shit load from outside the box, essentially because their chance creation is so bad. 

What we need is someone who can help us build-up the play better through the middle. A technical player who can play between the lines and receive the ball in tight spaces, because at our worst we are one-dimensional in possession. It's basically "get it wide to the fullbacks and cross it in". 

To be fair, that grujic lad has a shot on him. I wonder could be her himself into contention?? 

Agree to a point but you also need it to be a threat imo. 

Teams are happy to sit really deep and and even with the midfield. Coutinho would force teams to step out and press him opening space. 

Also sounds a bit weird and I wouldn't swap them for anyone but you rarely see our fullbacks beating a man. It's not really meant as a critism but unless it's Mane we don't really have anyone who will pick the ball up wide and beat a man on the flank. Even Mo doesn't do it often except n the break. A y before anyone starts I'm moaning about it, I'm not. It's a area we could do with another option at times. Look how often City last year where saved by Sane coming on and really stretching the pitch, beating a man wide and driving at the box

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

To be fair, that grujic lad has a shot on him. I wonder could be her himself into contention?? 

I've seen him maybe 5 or 6 times and about half that this year and he has looked absolute crap in most games. Doesn't seem to know what type of midfielder he is

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Agree to a point but you also need it to be a threat imo. 

Teams are happy to sit really deep and and even with the midfield. Coutinho would force teams to step out and press him opening space. 

Also sounds a bit weird and I wouldn't swap them for anyone but you rarely see our fullbacks beating a man. It's not really meant as a critism but unless it's Mane we don't really have anyone who will pick the ball up wide and beat a man on the flank. Even Mo doesn't do it often except n the break. A y before anyone starts I'm moaning about it, I'm not. It's a area we could do with another option at times. Look how often City last year where saved by Sane coming on and really stretching the pitch, beating a man wide and driving at the box

Yeah, dribbling is something we could use as well. Basically someone who can create chances in a different way than our tactic of finding the full backs. But I think I've realized the easiest way to do that is to get a top class attacking midfielder. I just think we can really improve building up through the middle. It's basically the last thing this team needs to become truly complete, I feel. 

• Upvote 1

Ill be surprised if we don’t go big this summer. We need a midfielder who knows where the net is. Someone who can take free kicks and can get behind a packed defence. Someone like coutinho?

Salah’s not gonna get any better so I’d take the big money for him this summer and invest it in sancho & Werner. 2 more hungry attacking threats for the price of one. 

There’ll be a lot of outgoings this summer and I reckon with klopp signing that new contract this one will be his squad rebuild. 

43 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, dribbling is something we could use as well. Basically someone who can create chances in a different way than our tactic of finding the full backs. 

On dribbling, our front three are equal to what City would have. They are really the only other side that would face teams sitting as deep as they do against us. I agree on the bolded - just not sure how that gets integrated. 

Agree. Dont think we can get through another summer spending nothing or about 5m. 

We've been on an amazing run and we are still a great team but we dont want to become predictable or the team to get old together like Real Madrid or Barcelona then needing 7 players, obviously should be done gradually. Plus if we hang on to most well into their 30s we will get no money for them either. 

@3 Stacks

Didn't you say you knew this lad at Gent? 

Shitrag Express linking us with a move. His goal rates fantastic

Chelsea have joined Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham in watching the progress of £20m-rated Canada striker Jonathan David. The 20-year-old forward has scored 23 goals for Belgian club Gent this season. (Sunday Express)

Liverpool will bolster their attacking options in the summer with England international Adam Lallana, 31, and Switzerland international Xherdan Shaqiri, 28, both expected to leave at the end of the season

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

@3 Stacks

Didn't you say you knew this lad at Gent? 

Shitrag Express linking us with a move. His goal rates fantastic

Chelsea have joined Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham in watching the progress of £20m-rated Canada striker Jonathan David. The 20-year-old forward has scored 23 goals for Belgian club Gent this season. (Sunday Express)

Liverpool will bolster their attacking options in the summer with England international Adam Lallana, 31, and Switzerland international Xherdan Shaqiri, 28, both expected to leave at the end of the season

Yes. He's a very exciting prospect. Right off the bat, I will say I don't think there is a chance we would sign him as coming from Belgium he still has loads to learn and his price is already sky-rocketing - there is no way he would cost only 20m - so he's not some low-cost option like a Minamino who is low risk. And we're obviously aiming for more proven players like Werner. 

I will say, he is in the mould of attacker that we would be interested in, though, as he is very versatile. He can basically play anywhere in attack. He's a very modern forward. Decent technically, good pace and his best attribute is he can do everything with both feet. 

I think his likely destination is Germany, possibly as a Werner/Sancho/Havertz replacement with the money those clubs may get. Or maybe Lyon, a secondary club of good caliber, but probably not a top, top club. Hopefully he will get there eventually, though.