You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Don't have an issue with this. It would be a waste of money to sign a new centre back when we have 3 good players in that position and the likes of Fabinho and Henderson who could fill in if needed. 

We could go out and do a Klaven type deal, but can't really see the point?

Especially considering Matip and Gomez are rarely injured.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

My assumption is you were equally vocal about Moores in the mid 90's.

Moores was flawed and limited in what he could do, but he did love the Club first and foremost. The creation of the Premier League had made the Club outgrow him and he knew that. Don't get me wrong he made a few whoppers like but his heart was in the right place.

I just don't feel FSG are in it for the sport. I think good ownership would be to tide us over and to pay back any monies owed. But the fact they don't or won't do that demonstrates its all about the bottom line. Seems to be a similar theme if you look at Red Sox discussions, seems to be the same mini civil war of sorts going on with their fanbase too. 

Fabinho played a lot of games as right back and would be a decent 4th choice option as a centre back. I wouldn't want him playing there long term, but as the back up behind VVD, Gomez and Matip I think its an ok way to start the season.

A player like Ben White would cost too much and it would seem like a waste of money to bring a 4th choice stop gap solution. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

ICYMI: Both Brighton’s Ben White and Norwich City’s Ben Godfrey have been considered by Liverpool but their price tags have proved prohibitive. [@JamesPearceLFC - @TheAthleticUK]

Makes you wonder how we value players because it seems pretty much everyone we're ever linked with thinks it's too expensive. They're like some old bloke down the pub "I remember when you could by 4 pints and get change from a pound. And not one of these modern pounds, a real one made out of paper. "

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Makes you wonder how we value players because it seems pretty much everyone we're ever linked with thinks it's too expensive. They're like some old bloke down the pub "I remember when you could by 4 pints and get change from a pound. And not one of these modern pounds, a real one made out of paper. "

But we want £20m each for Grujic and Wilson as well as £9m for Awoniyi who has never kicked a ball for us and has been loaned out about 3 times.

53 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

But we want £20m each for Grujic and Wilson as well as £9m for Awoniyi who has never kicked a ball for us and has been loaned out about 3 times.

Yep. Although we've wanted that money for Wilson and gruic for a year or two, nobody has bothered to meet the valuation or they'd be gone. 

Think with ourselves and Barca being broke we are happy to see Gini sign a contract with them Jan and we will work on the exact same with Tiago . Straight swap and only ones getting shafted are BM. Thus all the noise from them at minute ref the mancs being interested and whoever makes a bid gets him. If I were either of those two footballers I would be asking a few questions about what they are getting into. Not sure a half interested Gini does it for us and equally not sure we can wait a year for some more creativity in midfield . Given up on Naby I nearly would put Jones in ahead of him now on character alone.

34 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I like van de Beek. I think he would have been a target if we didn't have Keita and Chamberlain. Good engine, technique and finisher for a central midfielder. 

Not sure how United get him, Fernandes and Pogba on the same pitch, but it's depth for them I guess.

Think he's a great footballer. Would have loved him here. I wonder will they sell Pogba and they can get a top centre half to play with the convict.

On 29/08/2020 at 19:21, TheHowieLama said:

Do you think he is going to score more than 15 league golas next season?

I'd be surprised if he didn't top 20.

Especially in that squad. We can make fun of them for the lack of balance (and it is a lack of balance - they're going to concede a LOT of goals) but they will definitely be an attacking force to be reckoned with.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'd be surprised if he didn't top 20.

Especially in that squad. We can make fun of them for the lack of balance (and it is a lack of balance - they're going to concede a LOT of goals) but they will definitely be an attacking force to be reckoned with.

A bit of Rodgers Liverpool about them. 

They'll be there or there abouts for the title imo 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I like van de Beek. I think he would have been a target if we didn't have Keita and Chamberlain. Good engine, technique and finisher for a central midfielder. 

Not sure how United get him, Fernandes and Pogba on the same pitch, but it's depth for them I guess.

Pogba only has a year left on his contract doesn't he? I know for once there's not a lot of noise about him going, but they keep talking of this new contract and it's not signed. I wouldn't be shocked to see them leave. 

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Pogba only has a year left on his contract doesn't he? I know for once there's not a lot of noise about him going, but they keep talking of this new contract and it's not signed. I wouldn't be shocked to see them leave. 

Pogoff will be the end of one of the worst decisions any club has made, he has been woeful... I hope he stays