You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Barca won't move anything along to suit our pace though I don't think. I've thought all along Gini would be linked to thiago though. So it could explain why there's no move on that. 

Yeah, on the subject of Thiago, that must be it. Pearce and them are prob keeping quiet because it relates to Gini's contract.

Would have been fanciful to think we'd bring someone in without selling, especially this summer.

If someone's interested in Wilson, Shaqiri and Grujic, we could actually get a somewhat expensive forward too later.

Wijnaldum to Barca just seems like lazy journalism to me. Koeman being there makes it sound plausible but before that there was absolutely no suggestion that Gini could go anywhere this summer.

Maybe he’ll go to Barcelona if he’s a free agent, maybe he won’t. I’m sure he’ll have plenty of other others too. 

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, on the subject of Thiago, that must be it. Pearce and them are prob keeping quiet because it relates to Gini's contract.

Would have been fanciful to think we'd bring someone in without selling, especially this summer.

If someone's interested in Wilson, Shaqiri and Grujic, we could actually get a somewhat expensive forward too later.

Yeah, but we'll be wanting to reduce the wage bill too as there's no fans in the ground. I guess we're on the right side of that at the moment (lallana and lovren out and Kostas in is that all?) , but of those 3 I imagine only Shaq is on decent money. 

27 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Wijnaldum to Barca just seems like lazy journalism to me. Koeman being there makes it sound plausible but before that there was absolutely no suggestion that Gini could go anywhere this summer.

Maybe he’ll go to Barcelona if he’s a free agent, maybe he won’t. I’m sure he’ll have plenty of other others too. 

Dunno about that. I think the mane link is lazy journalism, so lazy they've not even thought about how much Barca would be laughed off with a 80m bid. But the Gini thing I think is different. There's certainly more to him not signing his contract than it's all just taking a bit of time. We seem absolutely interested in thiago, yet we've not moved yet and the echo say daily "we're not interested at this time", like we're waiting for something else to happen. And surely Gini wants a last big contract - he won't get that going home and you'd like to think if he leaves us he'd only be interested in a top club from another country. Koeman is going to need all the mates he can find and Gini wouldn't cost the earth and they could probably double his wages and he'd still come in on the low end for Barca. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but we'll be wanting to reduce the wage bill too as there's no fans in the ground. I guess we're on the right side of that at the moment (lallana and lovren out and Kostas in is that all?) , but of those 3 I imagine only Shaq is on decent money. 

Sarr is not on massive wages and Pearce hasn't denied our interest in him when it came up. I think he's said he's someone being looked at. I think keeping in the spirit of not ballooning the wage bill any more than it is, if we get 30-40m in sales from Wilson and Shaqiri, he'll be an obvious target. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sarr is not on massive wages and Pearce hasn't denied our interest in him when it came up. I think he's said he's someone being looked at. I think keeping in the spirit of not ballooning the wage bill any more than it is, if we get 30-40m in sales from Wilson and Shaqiri, he'll be an obvious target. 

Maybe. But you would think Sarr would cost a lot. He cost Watford 30m. His wages might not be on our top end, but again - he's 22, anything he signs now might be his biggest contract of his career, so any agent worth his salt will talk the deal up.... In fact I've just looked him up and he's on 70k per week now according to the site below. So best efforts he's surely 100k and 40m? 

https://footballleaguefc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/footballleaguefc.com/watford-fc-2019-20-player-wages/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15987313702460&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ffootballleaguefc.com%2Fwatford-fc-2019-20-player-wages%2F

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe. But you would think Sarr would cost a lot. He cost Watford 30m. His wages might not be on our top end, but again - he's 22, anything he signs now might be his biggest contract of his career, so any agent worth his salt will talk the deal up.... In fact I've just looked him up and he's on 70k per week now according to the site below. So best efforts he's surely 100k and 40m? 

https://footballleaguefc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/footballleaguefc.com/watford-fc-2019-20-player-wages/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15987313702460&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ffootballleaguefc.com%2Fwatford-fc-2019-20-player-wages%2F

Yeah, he wouldn't be "cheap", but if we rate him and he simply replaces two departed players, It's not too bad. And I don't think there have been other links to forwards, have there?

I'm rooting for this to happen though, because I doubt we use Shaqiri or Wilson if we just keep them.