You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Just meant from a footballing perspective that he should retire, he has won countless trophies and six Balon d'ors. He hasnt got anything to prove to anyone anymore. It's just more money that will keep him going.

I think it might also be the rivalry with Ronaldo, you know.

Ronaldo currently has 30 more goals than Messi (about 150 games more, and loads more penalties) and I think Lionel wants to go past him, then see him retire, then put a few dozen more on top so that he's clear by at least 50 goals.

Don't think Messi is likely to be in the top 3 players in the world beyond this next season, though he might get voted into the top three a year or two beyond where he's really there like Ronaldo has. So he might add another Balon D'Or if, for example, he went to City or PSG and won the CL there, but I think that would just be a cherry on the top. What he really wants is the World Cup, and after that, another CL trophy.

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Ronaldo currently has 30 more goals than Messi (about 150 games more, and loads more penalties) and I think Lionel wants to go past him, then see him retire, then put a few dozen more on top so that he's clear by at least 50 goals.

Don't think Messi is likely to be in the top 3 players in the world beyond this next season, though he might get voted into the top three a year or two beyond where he's really there like Ronaldo has. So he might add another Balon D'Or if, for example, he went to City or PSG and won the CL there, but I think that would just be a cherry on the top. What he really wants is the World Cup, and after that, another CL trophy.

He's never getting his hands on the World Cup, his best chance was probably 2014. He'll still have a decent shot at another CL depending on where he goes but no matter how much of a hissy fit he throws he can't make Argentina the best international side in the world, they're miles behind.

24 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Leeds just signed Rodrigo for 29m.

Can’t wait to see my mates later and unpick their claims (as with every transfer these clowns make) that he’s a world beater who will make them invincible.

In reality he’s a decent player, certainly an upgrade on what they have, but with an average goal scoring record at best.

The price seems about £10m too much but, I guess, time will tell. 

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

Could be some truth to this one given we have Alisson. He is 17 years old, 6ft 3 and won the U17 World Cup with Brazil. And he's got German citizenship (although I'm not sure if that will matter post Brexit).

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Can’t wait to see my mates later and unpick their claims (as with every transfer these clowns make) that he’s a world beater who will make them invincible.

In reality he’s a decent player, certainly an upgrade on what they have, but with an average goal scoring record at best.

Nailed on he’ll score a cracker against us now. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Ronaldo is a physical freak - he will keep playing for the next few years at least - scoring more each season than Wor Leo.

Messi will have to play (at a high level) til he is 40 to have any chance of catching him.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Achterberg (who clearly has Klopp’s trust) was never the problem. Not having a world class goalkeeper was. 

Are you suggesting that Karius and Mignolet are not world class? 

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

He was shit last season, but if he replicates anything like the form from the previous two £29m, even at the age of 29, will prove to be decent value.