You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Guest Alex_K

Why the fuck anyone would listen to a 33 year old Messi’s opinion on how to build a football club is anyone’s guess. He was a force of nature, a phenomenon, maybe the best ever. Does he have any insight on how to build a successful football team? He probably doesn’t have the fucking foggiest. It would be like us turning to Gerrard for his opinions at the end of his rope, or Keane at the end of his period. Great, great players but for the most part managerially clueless. 

Barca being a slave to some of the greats of the past decade was probably a big contributor to getting them into this situation. 

10 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Nobody in their right mind is paying hundreds of millions transfer fee plus 500k pw for a 33 year old clearly on the downturn. 

He's not stupid, he won't be signing a 1 or 2 year contract, he'll be demanding a 3 or 4 year contract at least.  And at that point you're paying half a million quid a week for a 36 year old. 

I mean, he's going nowhere, but theoretically I wouldn't care if he signed for City.  City don't need to win more games, they need us to lose more games than them.  

FWIW, I think the coming season may well be a covid write-off.  With 1,000 cases a week during the summer, you can only surmise it's going to return with a vengeance in October and November, even with no fans in the stadium, I think it's likely to all get called off again. 

16 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If he goes to City he has to end up playing Burnley on a freezing cold wet windy Wednesday night with zero protection from the ref. Only fair.

If he does we can finally answer the "but can he do it on a wet windy Wednesday" question though, confirming once and for all if he's the best player ever to have lived or not.

• Upvote 1

Fuck him, the duplicitous little shit. Great player, but he stinks of pure entitlement now. He wants to win the Champions League but wants to win it his way, with his mates around him, and whilst trousering a million euros a week. Can't have all of it - you'll have to change style (which'll probably involve getting rid of your mates Luis, Sergio, Gerard and Jordi), or accept a lesser role with less money so that the team can be augmented whilst keeping your mates on the books. Or you can carry on trying to have Barcelona ran as "Leo Messi and his mates" FC (i.e. a tribute act to Guardiola's Barca side of 2010), carry on pocketing the cash and enjoy getting thrashed by the best in Europe every year.

I get that Barcelona probably haven't filled him with confidence with their catastrophic transfer record recently (although his hissy-fits about not liking Phil or Griezmann probably haven't helped in that regard), but throwing your toys out the pram because the new manager wants to remodel the attack into something a bit more 2020 and has therefore told your mate to find a new club is ridiculously childish. And yet there's Barcelona fans out there adamant that he should be allowed to do what he wants because the club have treated him disgracefully. By doing what? Paying him a king's fucking ransom to play football, on a contract where he can choose when he wants to go, and given him a say in the running of the club?

Used to think he was a breath of fresh air compared to Ronaldo but I can't tell the difference between them these days. In fact Messi probably annoys me more. They're both great players and we're lucky to have seen them and seen them in their pomp, but they and their fanboys arguing on Twitter about which is the greater incessantly til the end of time are synonymous with a tedious new era in football. Hopefully the success of us and Bayern this year is part of a move back towards football as a team game instead of one built around superstars, but I won't hold my breath.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

His biggest impact would be against the quivering shits that go into games against them 4-0 down. Instead, it would be 7-0 at kick-off and keeping the score below 10 would be seen as a moral victory; unfortunately for us, said teams comprise at least 50% of the division.

4-0 or 7-0, it's still 3 points. they already outscore us against the shit. the worry would be if he could change some of those defeats to wins and my guess would be yes. also, i think jesus is fucking crap, if it means he has less game time, that is also likely to help them. 

57 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Messi is probably the best player ever, in my view. It would be a shame to see him go to City and it'd very much devalue his legacy. 

Agree he’s the best ever but as for his legacy I think that depends on what he does at City . If he and Pep are running round with big ears next season I think it will be statue time at the Etihad

9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

4-0 or 7-0, it's still 3 points. they already outscore us against the shit. the worry would be if he could change some of those defeats to wins and my guess would be yes. also, i think jesus is fucking crap, if it means he has less game time, that is also likely to help them. 

Apologies but allow me to disagree. Messi is not really needed at City in an attacking sense. If anything him going to City will only exasperate an already on-going issue at City, their defending (fees and wages will most likely play a part). As mentioned they already outscore us so no big change there. In my opinion for City to improve they need a quality CB and defensive midfielder. He may also upset the dressing room with his behind the scenes antics as proven in last few days.

I'm in no way criticising his talent as he is the best footballer going. But him going to City has many drawbacks for their squad.

7 minutes ago, WhiskeyJar said:

Apologies but allow me to disagree. Messi is not really needed at City in an attacking sense. If anything him going to City will only exasperate an already on-going issue at City, their defending (fees and wages will most likely play a part). As mentioned they already outscore us so no big change there. In my opinion for City to improve they need a quality CB and defensive midfielder. He may also upset the dressing room with his behind the scenes antics as proven in last few days.

I'm in no way criticising his talent as he is the best footballer going. But him going to City has many drawbacks for their squad.

Nah, Messi going to City would be a disaster for everyone else. He was holding up a decrepit Barca side with no style of play by himself these last couple years. At City they already have a foundation of dominance without him. Adding him to that structure will be devastating. And as for the defending, they'll just sign a defender for a lot of money. 

• Upvote 2

He should just fucking retire or go to the MLS to play for LA Galaxy or Beckham's team. He's got nothing else to prove to anyone and if he ends up at City he won't be able to handle not being the centre of everything.

I think he will get a shock with the amount of players who will kick the shit out of him here, he gets it in Spain but they do it in a snidey way and hey have their own way a lot against the teams they twat every week. 

He's ruled the roost at Barcelona for too long, didnt think Koeman would tell him to fuck off with his special privileges but fair play to him. 

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Anybody saying he’s 33 & on the way down, Vardy is 33 & just won the Golden Boot.

Still a great player but definitely on his way down. He’s been in Spain for 20 years, it will be hard for Him to adjust to a new lifestyle in England . 

He just wants to leave Barca because he knows he won’t win the CL there again. But is he strong enough mentally to start a new challenge ?

Only City can welcome him financially, and we can assume he wants to go there to meet his mates Guardiola, Beguiristan and Aguero.

• Upvote 1