You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

6 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Chelsea have never stopped spending shitloads. This might end up being an above-average summer, but they’ve got their thinnest squad in over 15 years and just look like they’re throwing money around without much of a plan.

The fact that they think Chilwell and an ancient Thiago Silva who was on his way to Fiorentina is going to be sufficient defensively suggests a real naivety. Even Oblak, if he signs, is going to be exposed in a way people aren’t used to seeing unless Lampard is planning a complete overhaul of their playing style.

Someone posted this the other day about them spending without a plan. So they've got the Ajax lad to replace willian, Germany's striker to replace an inconsistent kid, England's best left back to replace the embarrassment that Alonso has become and ok Silva is cracking on, but he's better than any centre back they have. And you're suggesting buying the best shot stopped on the planet is a bad thing? It seems like they have a plan to me, improve all over the pitch. Will they be at our level right away, well maybe not as there aren't many VVD's about and we didn't do it in one summer either. Up to now I don't see any Chelsea signing that doesn't improve their first XI. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Someone posted this the other day about them spending without a plan. So they've got the Ajax lad to replace willian, Germany's striker to replace an inconsistent kid, England's best left back to replace the embarrassment that Alonso has become and ok Silva is cracking on, but he's better than any centre back they have. And you're suggesting buying the best shot stopped on the planet is a bad thing? It seems like they have a plan to me, improve all over the pitch. Will they be at our level right away, well maybe not as there aren't many VVD's about and we didn't do it in one summer either. Up to now I don't see any Chelsea signing that doesn't improve their first XI. 

Chelsea concern me, they’re not as good as our strongest team but their squad is quite strong with loads of options which stands them in good stead for when the ridiculously hectic schedule starts in February. Our lack of cover for the front 3 will bite us on the arse if we don’t get someone in. 

• Upvote 2

If he’s handing a transfer request in he knows where he’s going.  He’s not just going to be doing it for a laugh.  I imagine like most people he thinks Guardiola is a complete knobhead but on top of that he’s going to need to run in a Guardiola team.  I can’t see it being City.  If he does go there though it would be interesting to see how the dynamics would change.  They would still batter loads of teams by big score lines but struggle in games when their defence makes stupid errors or big games when they get ran everywhere by teams willing to attack them.

If I were to guess it would be PSG or Juventus.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Messi probably just wanting a further 300 grand a week from Barca thats all. Only City or PSG that could afford him.

Nah, apparently this is for real. Puyol tweeted that he's supporting Messi and Suarez replied to it, it looks on. And yeah, it will be PSG or City. There's a weird Inter shout making its way around too. And Juve but no club could afford Messi and Ronaldo, surely.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nah, apparently this is for real. Puyol tweeted that he's supporting Messi and Suarez replied to it, it looks on. And yeah, it will be PSG or City. There's a weird Inter shout making its way around too. And Juve but no club could afford Messi and Ronaldo, surely.

Could see Juventus if Ronaldo allows it. There would be enormous money in the two playing in the same team thanks to all the morons who support ‘Leo’ and ‘CR7’ above any club.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, The Guest said:

If he’s handing a transfer request in he knows where he’s going.

Would have to be very careful about that. He might have a break clause but he's still under contract, sides would surely need Barca's permission to talk terms with him.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Would have to be very careful about that. He might have a break clause but he's still under contract, sides would surely need Barca's permission to talk terms with him.

It’s fantasy land to think players‘ agents and players for that matter don’t speak to clubs while their under contract.

Just now, The Guest said:

It’s fantasy land to think players‘ agents and players for that matter don’t speak to clubs while their under contract.

Obviously, but considering the legal battles Barca are already hinting at, they will go for the 'tapping up' angle as well. 

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is Messi's power play to get the club president out sooner rather than later, so I’m braced for his resignation followed by endless speculation about how Barcelona are 'poised' to make Van Dijk an offer he can’t refuse.

I agree with this bit.

Puyol & Suarez have already taken to Twitter to back Messi. Bet it’ll be Pique and the rest tomorrow.

Effectively a vote of no confidence in the board & President.