You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

That's from the rag, so I don't think we should pay any attention to it. 

As for the window, I expect lallana, lovren and Shaq to go. I think we will only directly replace lovren. Lallana will be replaced from the squad - Jones or Gruic (or both). I think we've already got shaqs replacement in minamino. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see mane or Salah to go either. If they do, I'd expect us to spend to replace them. 

Aside from that I don't see anything happening aside from gamble kid signings. 

i said after the CL final if we win the league this year i wouldnt be surprised if Salah jumped ship

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not sure I agree with that, Moe. I don’t think Jones is ready to be a starting player. I also think that we’ve not really replaced the creativity of Coutinho. I think we could well get a couple of midfielders. 

I'm not so sure, you know. The only way I see it happening is if we agree a season long loan deal for him. There's no way he'll accept being in the U23s again, as he's far too good.

As for Coutinho, why would we need to replace him? For the extra 2 points we dropped this season?! Needing to "replace" a player implies that we are less of a team without him. Coutinho's sale had the exact opposite effect.

Also, with a new left back, Milner will have more time in midfield to add to Hendo, Gini, Ox, Keita, and Fabinho. Far too many numbers to be spunking a load of cash on another.

Something has to to give.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, m0e said:

On another note, I don't get this Salah or Mane is off rhetoric. Never going to happen.

I think of the players as no different to anybody else. They have a skill set to take them anywhere in the world to any club they want. I just think it's fair to assume at least one of them will attract interest from one of the Spanish clubs and they might just fancy living somewhere that's not the north west of England. There's no reason to assume they'll stay forever and they're hitting the age that if they're going to make the move, this might be their last crack to do so at an elite level club. 

18 minutes ago, m0e said:

I'm not so sure, you know. The only way I see it happening is if we agree a season long loan deal for him. There's no way he'll accept being in the U23s again, as he's far too good.

As for the replacing Coutinho, why would we need to? For the extra 2 points we dropped this season?! Needing to "replace" a player implies that we are less of a team without him. Coutinho's sale had the exact opposite effect.

Also, with a new left back, Milner will have more time in midfield to add to Hendo, Gini, Ox, Keita, and Fabinho. Far too many numbers to be spunking a load of cash on another.

Something has to to give.

Ha! That made me chuckle. I mean, not entirely sound reasoning in my view because you could really use that logic for any signing, you know? We need to build out the quality of squad for a while. And I actually think (don't throw things at me) we are over-scoring points for how we have been performing. Now, that's going to be popular as pigshit considering we have lost once in two years, world and European champions, etc. That's all right, and amazing, but we need depth, we need freshness and development in style and ability. All that stuff. If we are not progressing, we are standing still. I guess we will see, mate. I'm far calmer about it. If we don't get anyone... okay. If we get a worldie... cool. 

32 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Ha! That made me chuckle. I mean, not entirely sound reasoning in my view because you could really use that logic for any signing, you know? We need to build out the quality of squad for a while. And I actually think (don't throw things at me) we are over-scoring points for how we have been performing. Now, that's going to be popular as pigshit considering we have lost once in two years, world and European champions, etc. That's all right, and amazing, but we need depth, we need freshness and development in style and ability. All that stuff. If we are not progressing, we are standing still. I guess we will see, mate. I'm far calmer about it. If we don't get anyone... okay. If we get a worldie... cool. 

All fair points. However, I was referring to the type of player, not actually bringing in new players. All good problems, mind.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think of the players as no different to anybody else. They have a skill set to take them anywhere in the world to any club they want. I just think it's fair to assume at least one of them will attract interest from one of the Spanish clubs and they might just fancy living somewhere that's not the north west of England. There's no reason to assume they'll stay forever and they're hitting the age that if they're going to make the move, this might be their last crack to do so at an elite level club. 

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was referring to this summer.

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was referring to this summer.

I think it could happen this summer. They're both 28 by the summer, I just feel if they're going to move to a Barca or Madrid level club, this is the summer to do it. Alternatively they could see their contract out and bosman to those pricks at juve in a couple of years. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just thinking if they're to do it, it probably needs to be this year.  

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

U WOT M8? 

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

If they want to move to a club that gives them the same competitive chance Liverpool does, I think this will be their last chance to do so. I don't think the likes of Madrid would be interested once they're hitting 29/30. 

Liverpool right now would fucking destroy Barcelona and Real Madrid when we are having an off day. Just ask Coutinho what he won while he was there. 

Liverpool are THE elite level club right now. Will this be permanent? Possibly not. But they would be INSANE to leave right now. 

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Liverpool right now would fucking destroy Barcelona and Real Madrid when we are having an off day. Just ask Coutinho what he won while he was there. 

Liverpool are THE elite level club right now. Will this be permanent? Possibly not. But they would be INSANE to leave right now. 

You're talking like the only consideration in their lives may be football. It could be money, weather, family, all manner of other things in play. Some people like to just change jobs to freshen things up. Sure, we're probably the best team around, but that's not to say they couldn't choose a time that has a good chance in their domestic league and would be likely last 4 level in the CL. And they're of an age where it would feel if we asked for one more year they could think that might be one year too late for them and the chance might be gone. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

You're talking like the only consideration in their lives may be football. It could be money, weather, family, all manner of other things in play. Some people like to just change jobs to freshen things up. Sure, we're probably the best team around, but that's not to say they couldn't choose a time that has a good chance in their domestic league and would be likely last 4 level in the CL. And they're of an age where it would feel if we asked for one more year they could think that might be one year too late for them and the chance might be gone. 

I am talking like the main consideration in their lives right now is the football. They clearly live and breathe it as they are in their prime and they clearly want to win as many competitive matches and trophies as they possibly can. They would definitely be foolish to leave when this phase has only just started.

Perhaps when they have moved past their prime and they want to experience a different way life and want to challenge themselves at a different level (right now it is at a lower level when you consider them teams in La Liga right now) then they will probably move to another club as the football is not the most important factor. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I am talking like the main consideration in their lives right now is the football. They clearly live and breathe it as they are in their prime and they clearly want to win as many competitive matches and trophies as they possibly can. They would definitely be foolish to leave when this phase has only just started.

Perhaps when they have moved past their prime and they want to experience a different way life and want to challenge themselves at a different level (right now it is at a lower level when you consider them teams in La Liga right now) then they will probably move to another club as the football is not the most important factor. 

You might be right. I'm not saying I think they'll definitely go, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if one of them wanted to. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Keegan and Rush - anyone after that and we were not great.

And Rush came back a year later didn't he? Souness and Keegan are definitely great players who left but they seemed to be replaced relatively seamlessly. Suarez leaving left a massive hole.