You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Is it just me who always feels kind of bad for the people on Anfield Index?

I mean, they all come across as decent, well-meaning reds, they just aren't that good at the actual job of podcasting. I used to listen to the postgame show with the Manc girl who hosts and she seems quite nice but her atrocious habit of "I'm gonna come to you next" rather than just asking the person a question is something that in a professional environment would get her sacked or sent to learn how to speak without doing that.

And the others are similar. I'll second what was said on Dave Hendrick, he's the only one they've had that has "talent" in the broadcasting sense, I could see him making it somewhere and becoming the Irish version of Craig Burley or something, good at getting people to pay attention to him but just not as bright as he thinks he is. The rest are just nice people who aren't that good at making a show that gives you any insight or makes you want to listen to them.

*an exception for Karl Coppack, who I actually quite like*

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I was on RAWK at that time and remember his articles and they are just bollocks. Pongolle will be the next Anelka banging them into side netting’s and David Raven is Carra MK2.

There was something in his book about teaching his lad how to play chess but if his lad got a T-Rex and smashed all the bits of the board, there is nothing he could do about it...?

I fully get I’m more patient or positive than the more average poster, but there is being positive and being delusional / nonsensical. 

I can imagine he would be like that, basically trying to be a massive superfan and making out he watches Liverpool from the under 15s upwards.

He would be the type of person to take over work meetings and babble on about fuck all making no point and then bring up another boring long winded issue as everyone else is gearing up to leave. 

5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Doyle did a video on the day of the West Ham match last year where she was basically laughing off how crap the opposition where, how amazing we were and how the team would cope with sticking players  out of position. There was no insight or talk about how the match would go, it was something akin to asking a bird in the street what the result would be. We then went and drew 1-1.

My point exactly.  Shite.

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Aren't the Anfield Index affiliated with the shitrag?.

Everyone on Twatter saying they get paid by them and they retweet their articles.

No, you're thinking of Anfield Watch, I believe.

AI may not be professionals, but they seem to be a bunch of genuine reds who really love the club.

Ivo Grbic signs for Atletico Madrid.

Why is that big news?  

Because he's a 24 year old goalkeeper who just cost £6m. 

(I don't think Atleti are bothered about buying a 24 year old back-up keeper for £6m).

In other Chelsea-related news, they just bought a CB wonderkid from Barcelona for an 'undisclosed amount', which means it's much bigger than you think. 

Honestly, if Chelsea emerge from this transfer window with Oblak, Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell, Thiago Silva, it will be a broad daylight FFP heist.  

Also,

Remember that ace left back Ricardo Rodriguez?  He's just been sold to Torino for £2.7m. 

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Ivo Grbic signs for Atletico Madrid.

Why is that big news?  

Because he's a 24 year old goalkeeper who just cost £6m. 

(I don't think Atleti are bothered about buying a 24 year old back-up keeper for £6m).

In other Chelsea-related news, they just bought a CB wonderkid from Barcelona for an 'undisclosed amount', which means it's much bigger than you think. 

Honestly, if Chelsea emerge from this transfer window with Oblak, Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell, Thiago Silva, it will be a broad daylight FFP heist.  

Also,

Remember that ace left back Ricardo Rodriguez?  He's just been sold to Torino for £2.7m. 

Is it ffp robbery though? It's not about cashflow is it, it's about p&l. They let hazard go for over 100m didn't they? At a time he was worth next to nothing on their books, so that is pure profit. They let morata go for 50m at a time he was probably worth maybe 15m on the books, so that's 35m profit. And then all these incoming players will be amortised over the 4 or 5 years on their contracts, so it doesn't seem impossible to me they're doing it in or around ffp, especially as this year's ffp gets roled into next years, so allows them 2 years to balance it off. 

The thing with Chelsea is that they can show good profits from sales but the figures are all dodgy if you dig deep. Who can forget the David Luiz to and fro transfers from PSG, showing no loss when they sold players who really didn't play that well for them like Morata, bakayoko (rumoured),  the Atletico Madrid LB etc in between big sales like hazard... They definitely show inflated fees for their sales

How much did they pay for pulisic. They sign players for massive transfer fees surely there wages match their fees too. Its some fucking squad theyve got plus a million youngsters their commercial revenue must shit on ours which given we are a behemoth of a club compared to them regardless of their recent bought success is bizarre. Guess that London money helps.

8 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

The thing with Chelsea is that they can show good profits from sales but the figures are all dodgy if you dig deep. Who can forget the David Luiz to and fro transfers from PSG, showing no loss when they sold players who really didn't play that well for them like Morata, bakayoko (rumoured),  the Atletico Madrid LB etc in between big sales like hazard... They definitely show inflated fees for their sales

I think that's a fair point. But all I'm saying is the values of the fees we see in public could reasonably add up to something that works in ffp. There's no doubt some of the fees they've got at times leaving you scratching your head (but frankly you could say that about some of the fees Edwards has got for us), but that's a whole different discussion imo.

They turn over around 450m per year and supposedly have a salary bill lower than ours, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to think they can afford to spend some money. I think we've been too brainwashed by fsg that there's no money regardless of how much you turn over. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How much did they pay for pulisic. They sign players for massive transfer fees surely there wages match their fees too. Its some fucking squad theyve got plus a million youngsters their commercial revenue must shit on ours which given we are a behemoth of a club compared to them regardless of their recent bought success is bizarre. Guess that London money helps.

I've just been looking at their wages on sportac, they don't pay as much as you think they would. Rather surprisingly pulisic is their top earner. 

Screenshot_20200822-141543.jpg

I read last year that a lot of that sponsorship money’s the declare is nowhere near the actual amounts they receive. A lot of creative accountancy on a Man City scale with these type of clubs. Apparently they make around 0 - £6m profit without Romans rubles going in