Quantcast
Summer 2020 Transfer Thread - Page 186 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Captain Turdseye

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I don’t disagree, I’ve watched him maybe half a dozen times at most, my ol fella has watched him loads and reckons he’s better than any CB Brighton had playing for them last season. 

His point was that it’s not a gamble even if the price doesn’t double (he’s convinced it will) because they’d have a significantly better CB for a year. 

We'll see soon enough I guess. I'm not doubting he's a good player (I've seen him a gang total of zero times) as everyone seems to rave about him, I just think money is so big in football now it changes what would normally be easy choices. 

7 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

We'll see soon enough I guess. I'm not doubting he's a good player (I've seen him a gang total of zero times) as everyone seems to rave about him, I just think money is so big in football now it changes what would normally be easy choices. 

It’s gone crazy. 

I can remember being pissed off we spent £18/20m on Robbie fucking Keane, I’d dread to think what the bum would cost now. 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

It’s gone crazy. 

I can remember being pissed off we spent £18/20m on Robbie fucking Keane, I’d dread to think what the bum would cost now. 

He'd be 80m no problem I reckon. 

8 hours ago, The Gaul said:

For your viewing pleasure.

Even if he costs £35m this summer, my point is that next summer he'll cost £50m. Or more - if he performs like he did in the Championship it could be Virgil money.

It's a big chunk of the budget, to be sure, but I'd be all for it. The one really big hole we have in the team right now is that if van Dijk gets injured or has to be out for any reason, the defense drops off in a pretty big way. White solves that, and also in 2-3 years as van Dijk heads over the hill and isn't at his best we'll have Gomez and White as a ready-made partnership that could be just as good as van Dijk and Gomez has been.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Even if he costs £35m this summer, my point is that next summer he'll cost £50m. Or more - if he performs like he did in the Championship it could be Virgil money.

It's a big chunk of the budget, to be sure, but I'd be all for it. The one really big hole we have in the team right now is that if van Dijk gets injured or has to be out for any reason, the defense drops off in a pretty big way. White solves that, and also in 2-3 years as van Dijk heads over the hill and isn't at his best we'll have Gomez and White as a ready-made partnership that could be just as good as van Dijk and Gomez has been.

Went to ground 8 times in the first 30 seconds. I'm out.

• Upvote 1

On Coutinho, if Liverpool wanted him, it'd only be because his former manager and teammates were happy for him to return. And if they were happy for him to come back, then it'd be a no-brainer? Even a loan for a couple of years. 

8 minutes ago, A_S said:

On Coutinho, if Liverpool wanted him, it'd only be because his former manager and teammates were happy for him to return. And if they were happy for him to come back, then it'd be a no-brainer? Even a loan for a couple of years. 

We'll sit back and watch him go to arsenal. 

We should get him on loan.

• Upvote 1

Coutinho scored 2 goals against a team whose dignity had left the building, it means nothing. He doesn't sniff starting for Bayern. He'd honestly be way better off at Arsenal where he easily gets in the team than here. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I lasted about 4 mins there before getting bored. As @No2 says he goes to ground a lot. He's like a young dejan! And I know whoever put the clip together is trying to make him look like a ball player, but I don't see him beating the press and getting out that easily in this league. I didn't see anything in that 4 minutes that got me excited.... But to balance that I instinctively hate highlight reals. He's probably a good player, but if we're struggling to find money for deals, I reckon there's less chancey signings. 

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

I lasted about 4 mins there before getting bored. As @No2 says he goes to ground a lot. He's like a young dejan! And I know whoever put the clip together is trying to make him look like a ball player, but I don't see him beating the press and getting out that easily in this league. I didn't see anything in that 4 minutes that got me excited.... But to balance that I instinctively hate highlight reals. He's probably a good player, but if we're struggling to find money for deals, I reckon there's less chancey signings. 

We don’t really need to spend the money on him  right this minute IMO. Our defence is very good as it is. Virgil is still 29 so has a few more years in him. Joe Gomez is young enough, and Matip is as good a backup player as you can find in the league. I’ve come around to your thinking now that Fabinho is an acceptable 4th choice, if we bring Thiago in.

13 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Thanks for the video.

He can evidently tackle and distribute the ball. However I didn't see a single header in that video (although after about 5 mins my concentration started to fall off) and at 6'1'' he would be our shortest CB. That has to be a concern.

The other concern would be his speed which again isn't in the video. We play a very high line, so our CB's have to be up there in speed terms. Is he fast?

11 minutes ago, M_B said:

Thanks for the video.

He can evidently tackle and distribute the ball. However I didn't see a single header in that video (although after about 5 mins my concentration started to fall off) and at 6'1'' he would be our shortest CB. That has to be a concern.

The other concern would be his speed which again isn't in the video. We play a very high line, so our CB's have to be up there in speed terms. Is he fast?

Talking about being short at centre back, I had been wondering if at times with this new left back we might be tempted to stick robbo in there, as VVD wins all the headers anyway. Robbo is a fucking brilliant defender and reads spaces so well and there aren't that many (or in my head there's not) big strikers about any more. I'm not saying it's a long term thing, just maybe something we might experiment with the odd game. Maybe even playing a back 3 at times to give vvd a rest. 

30 minutes ago, M_B said:

Thanks for the video.

Any chance he's the new John Stones?  Great until tested at the defending stuff.

17 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Talking about being short at centre back, I had been wondering if at times with this new left back we might be tempted to stick robbo in there, as VVD wins all the headers anyway. Robbo is a fucking brilliant defender and reads spaces so well and there aren't that many (or in my head there's not) big strikers about any more. I'm not saying it's a long term thing, just maybe something we might experiment with the odd game. Maybe even playing a back 3 at times to give vvd a rest. 

Stick the financial side of the game.

45 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Any chance he's the new John Stones?  Great until tested at the defending stuff.

John Stones might have turned out decent had Pep not performed his usual defensive masterclass on him. He’s bust now, we’ll on his way to being Phil Jones level broken.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Thanks for the video.

Very good point. One of the reasons Van Dijk is so important to us is he’s so dominant in the air.

Leave him out and crosses, corners and other set pieces is suddenly a far bigger worry. We need another CB that is very strong in the air. The closest we get at the moment is Matip and he’s not really that level in the air despite his height. Also of course his injury record is a problem.

24 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Barcelona must be one of the worst run clubs in history. Paying £104m up front for a 30 year old Griezemann and paying him €750,000 a week. 

Griezemann is on €750k a week!?!?!

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Stick the financial side of the game.

I reckon he could be pretty decent. Maybe like mascherano was for years at Barca. He is better at timing tackle than masch was and I was a massive fan of him. As I say, not a full time thing, but maybe half a dozen games a season . 

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Griezemann is on €750k a week!?!?!

According to this site, he's on even more. 

Screenshot_20200815-130356.jpg

Who ever does the contracts at Barcelona needs shot into the sun. 

If I was on them deals I'd be saying your paying me up if you want rid of me.