You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

25 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

What people are forgetting about Ox is that this season was always going to be a recovery one. He had a very bad injury. I still think he's at his best driving through the middle and shooting but let's give him another season to see where he is.

He might really benefit from a good pre-season

He's always been shite in the front three.   OK midfield option at best. 

Which makes Thiago a really strange player to go for.  We've got our usually three, Kieta who's quality, Jones looking like a baller and then Milner & oxocube who can do a decent enough job there. 

Literally every other position in the team we're in trouble with one injury, suspension or player needing a rest. 

43 minutes ago, Grinch said:

He's always been shite in the front three.   OK midfield option at best. 

Which makes Thiago a really strange player to go for.  We've got our usually three, Kieta who's quality, Jones looking like a baller and then Milner & oxocube who can do a decent enough job there. 

Literally every other position in the team we're in trouble with one injury, suspension or player needing a rest. 

Someone mentioned it above. If you buy Thiago, you then have more versatility with the squad and you have the extra midfield depth so that you can use Fabinho at CB and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the forward line if you need. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

@The Gaul

Amazing how many of those top players were in their teens or just @ 20 when we got them

You're right, but there's also players the other side like Kenny who was about 26 I think when he joined us. If you listen to just about anyone involved with the club back then and they always talk about when the team is good it's the time to buy as it allows you to bring in players and they're not under pressure to perform from day one. That's true of younger and older players. And klopp has done to an extent with robbo and fabinho (perhaps I could even throw in chamberlain). I've never been a fan of policies of buying young players or established players or anything. You should buy the right players. That's what we did then. 

But we probably carry twice as many 1st team  players than we used to and I feel players don't stay as long (that's a feeling rather than any stats I've seen) and it was obviously different when you had a reserves rather than an u23 side. We seem to be buying plenty of young players (although players like Elliot etc wouldn't have figured on that list as they'd have been too young, another change in the modern game). But our reluctance to bring players in and recycle the squad for me illustrates the lack of desire to want to remain 1st. I've no issue if they're big names or not, in fact I think most big names are vastly overrated in our forum world. I think there's tons and tons of good players all around the world. My issue is we seem to recruit based a lot based on "getting a deal", like Shaq, karius or minamino (in fact maybe even chamberlain as he only has 12 months left) rather than them being players we want. 

There's just no doubt to me anyone who was fortunate enough to see us do all this first time around understands the value of buying from a position of strength, be that young or old. Anyone who doesn't think that way is forgetting how it was imo. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Someone mentioned it above. If you buy Thiago, you then have more versatility with the squad and you have the extra midfield depth so that you can use Fabinho at CB and Oxlade-Chamberlain in the forward line if you need. 

Or you can just sell Oxlade-Chamberlain and put the money towards a forward.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Chamberlain is utter shite in the front three & no one wants to see one of our best midfielders at cb. 

Makes far more sense to buy a decent forward and play any of our seven midfielders that already proven in our set up.   

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Love the way the twitter Pro scouts know all about the lad. I mean those 15 pro league games he's played in fir Vasco is always available to watch. 

Yep, there was another player we were linked with from Mechelen called Aster Vrankx and a load of them said he was amazing. Then the only highlights on YouTube were games on plastic pitches in the middle of nowhere with no crowd.

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

You're right, but there's also players the other side like Kenny who was about 26 I think when he joined us. If you listen to just about anyone involved with the club back then and they always talk about when the team is good it's the time to buy as it allows you to bring in players and they're not under pressure to perform from day one. That's true of younger and older players. And klopp has done to an extent with robbo and fabinho (perhaps I could even throw in chamberlain). I've never been a fan of policies of buying young players or established players or anything. You should buy the right players. That's what we did then. 

But we probably carry twice as many 1st team  players than we used to and I feel players don't stay as long (that's a feeling rather than any stats I've seen) and it was obviously different when you had a reserves rather than an u23 side. We seem to be buying plenty of young players (although players like Elliot etc wouldn't have figured on that list as they'd have been too young, another change in the modern game). But our reluctance to bring players in and recycle the squad for me illustrates the lack of desire to want to remain 1st. I've no issue if they're big names or not, in fact I think most big names are vastly overrated in our forum world. I think there's tons and tons of good players all around the world. My issue is we seem to recruit based a lot based on "getting a deal", like Shaq, karius or minamino (in fact maybe even chamberlain as he only has 12 months left) rather than them being players we want. 

There's just no doubt to me anyone who was fortunate enough to see us do all this first time around understands the value of buying from a position of strength, be that young or old. Anyone who doesn't think that way is forgetting how it was imo. 

Kenny was signed as a direct replacement for Keegan.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Yep, there was another player we were linked with from Mechelen called Aster Vrankx and a load of them said he was amazing. Then the only highlights on YouTube were games on plastic pitches in the middle of nowhere with no crowd.

been on here have they?

28 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think we will go for him. mane's probably in Klopps ear. I like Sarr I think theres something about him.

Do we really need another player who'll go off to the ACN? So Salah, mane, keita and sarr? Personally I wouldn't sign another player who'll go off to that tournament mid-season, 3 is more than enough. 

54 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I'm aware of that. It didn't make him young. 

Agreed, so aren't Liverpool doing now what they have always done - replacing experienced players with experienced players and signing young potential to try and compete in the near and far future?

10 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Agreed, so aren't Liverpool doing now what they have always done - replacing experienced players with experienced players and signing young potential to try and compete in the near and far future?

No, I don't think it was as black and white as that, Kenny is just one example. We bought players when we needed them, age came into it as a secondary to them being the right player. To be honest, you can remember it how you want, I'm pretty bored with this discussion, I lived through it and breathed it, I don't need a history lesson. Liverpool was always about buying the right player and we always bought even when we were winning. If you want to have some fantasy that it was different to that, feel free. You need to listen to some interviews given by the players from that day, because to a man when talking about transfers they talk about how the squad was freshened every year AND when it was needed - remembering of course you could sign players at any point in the season apart from the last few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Gorst talking about Sarr

I'm not surprised we may be looking at him, but we'll probably drop the interest when Watford inevitably quote us a fee higher than what they paid for him, despite their relegation. The problem with him is he's already been sold for two relatively high transfer fees so I imagine it will be tough to get him on a discount like we'd try to do. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not surprised we may be looking at him, but we'll probably drop the interest when Watford inevitably quote us a fee higher than what they paid for him, despite their relegation. The problem with him is he's already been sold for two relatively high transfer fees so I imagine it will be tough to get him on a discount like we'd try to do. 

Gorsts article was confusing too. We mightn't be ready to move this year, but sarr will be playing in the PL next year. Personally I think it's one of them that the journos close to the club do, the fans want some transfer activity, let's link someone caveated to bits and then over the coming days everyone will copy the story, there'll be loads of "no smoke without fire" type of comments and then in a couple weeks back out of the position generating a new news cycle. Click bait.