Quantcast
Summer 2020 Transfer Thread - Page 164 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Captain Turdseye

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

BFFC18AD-C8B3-449F-9FE3-7DE916BF7B0A.jpeg

I’m not sure Norwich have dealt with Michael Edwards before. He’ll insist on a £6m fee now after reading that tweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Nope but lets be fair here, FSG like a good lowball bid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it pisses the other club off.

As a wise man once said "it's all part of the dance".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Tsimikas looks a player.

Yup. I watched the extended highlights this morning. He looked really good, and Adama didn’t do much damage. Forget Lewis, I’d like for us to sign this guy instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone wants us to get players for as cheap as possible. Nothing wrong with a low-ball bid...unless you don't get the player. Then all criticism is fair, because you've fucked up the negotiation (see Rick Parry).

 

With Tsimikas I feel like we've approached this brilliantly. We'd have to totally cluster fuck this up to not walk away with one very good back up left back for sub 15m. Lewis, Tsimikas, both great players and I'd be really happy with our first signing of the summer if we get either of them.

 

FWIW, this is what I would consider a good summer given the realities of our situation (and our owners). In order:

  1. A very good forward, somebody who can truly rival for a first team place
  2. Deputy left back, preferably young with potential to push for first team (12m)
  3. Thiago (26m)
  4. Deputy CB, preferably young with potential to push for first team

With us getting rid of Lovren (11m), Origi (25m), Wilson (16m), Grujic (18m). Shaqiri (11m), Larouci (6m)

 

That has us generating 90m (not including wages saved on Lallana and co) and after spending 38m on a LB and Thiago, 42m left to invest in the squad. That makes it difficult to achieve #1 and #4 above.

 

This isn't Fifa though so there's no fucking chance half of that transpires. Until it does I will be in this thread calling our owners a bunch of tight cunts.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Everyone wants us to get players for as cheap as possible. Nothing wrong with a low-ball bid...unless you don't get the player. Then all criticism is fair, because you've fucked up the negotiation (see Rick Parry).

 

With Tsimikas I feel like we've approached this brilliantly. We'd have to totally cluster fuck this up to not walk away with one very good back up left back for sub 15m. Lewis, Tsimikas, both great players and I'd be really happy with our first signing of the summer if we get either of them.

 

FWIW, this is what I would consider a good summer given the realities of our situation (and our owners). In order:

  1. A very good forward, somebody who can truly rival for a first team place
  2. Deputy left back, preferably young with potential to push for first team (12m)
  3. Thiago (26m)
  4. Deputy CB, preferably young with potential to push for first team

With us getting rid of Lovren (11m), Origi (25m), Wilson (16m), Grujic (18m). Shaqiri (11m), Larouci (6m)

 

That has us generating 90m (not including wages saved on Lallana and co) and after spending 38m on a LB and Thiago, 42m left to invest in the squad. That makes it difficult to achieve #1 and #4 above.

 

This isn't Fifa though so there's no fucking chance half of that transpires. Until it does I will be in this thread calling our owners a bunch of tight cunts.

Yeah, I don't think we're getting those fees for all those players.  Maybe pre-Covid we could, but not now.

The only major spending will be in the chains from oil splurging, so maybe we can get in on one or two of those.

 

I thought it was pretty obvious we're not getting number 1 after lining up Werner then not going ahead with it, and Klopp's comments about not signing anyone. 

But you'd think if we do sell Origi we might have someone up our sleeve, unless the idea is to go into the season with Brewster in his place.  Would be pretty toss to have even worse attacking depth than this season though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing more exciting than the English champions finally making a 10 million bid for a player...Liverpool fans across the globe over the moon. Am a little embarrassed and furious myself, no matter how you want to spin it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tsimakas is first choice at a team that’ll have CL footy next season, and could easily be first choice at another CL team. Would he come as back up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Tsimakas is first choice at a team that’ll have CL footy next season, and could easily be first choice at another CL team. Would he come as back up?

Maybe he thinks he's better than Joe gomez and could displace him in one of rugby best sides football has ever seen. 

 

On the other hand, he could stay at Olympiakos.......... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, therevivalist said:

Nothing more exciting than the English champions finally making a 10 million bid for a player...Liverpool fans across the globe over the moon. Am a little embarrassed and furious myself, no matter how you want to spin it.  

Really? I'm kind of fascinated by it. There's nothing more satisfying than a low-cost, left-field gem plucked from lower-table/relegated clubs. And this Liverpool squad is littered with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, therevivalist said:

Nothing more exciting than the English champions finally making a 10 million bid for a player...Liverpool fans across the globe over the moon. Am a little embarrassed and furious myself, no matter how you want to spin it.  

Yeah, embarassing, let's bid 100 million for Jamal Lewis coz that's what he's worth! Like A_S said, nothing more satisfying than seeing our team become champons with proper scouting and coaching than spending like a drunken sailor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, therevivalist said:

Nothing more exciting than the English champions finally making a 10 million bid for a player...Liverpool fans across the globe over the moon. Am a little embarrassed and furious myself, no matter how you want to spin it.  

Being current World Club, European and Premiership champions doesn't excite you then ?

If Transfer Top Trumps is more what interests you then prepare for a miserable transfer window.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, I don't think we're getting those fees for all those players.  Maybe pre-Covid we could, but not now.

The only major spending will be in the chains from oil splurging, so maybe we can get in on one or two of those.

 

I thought it was pretty obvious we're not getting number 1 after lining up Werner then not going ahead with it, and Klopp's comments about not signing anyone. 

But you'd think if we do sell Origi we might have someone up our sleeve, unless the idea is to go into the season with Brewster in his place.  Would be pretty toss to have even worse attacking depth than this season though!

I'm a little worried if we sell origi what we'll do. It would be really easy for them to sell it as Brewster saving us millions and it will be lapped up as some Edwards master stroke with relentless articles from the echo, Reddy and the athletic telling us how smart we are and how selling is the new buying and all origi was doing was blocking the path of a world class talent. I don't think origi is a top player and in normal circumstance you'd be happy to get 30m in for him because you'd like to think that could be invested elsewhere and get a better player. But is Brewster is the answer? Of the bits I've seen of Brewster at Swansea , i know he's scored plenty, but he didn't look like a player with that spark the way greenwood does with the mancs or we were lucky enough to see with Owen and Fowler in the past.  He looks a little easily controlled for me and I think at least in the coming season he'd be a massive step down on origi. I think the same can be said about Wilson. 

 

The final thing that worries me, surely if the interest in origi is real, we'd have been pretty sure about that already. Surely these types of transfers start months in advance? If so, it would be surprising our reluctance to go for Werner if we were banking 30m off origi and not just banking it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Everyone wants us to get players for as cheap as possible. Nothing wrong with a low-ball bid...unless you don't get the player. Then all criticism is fair, because you've fucked up the negotiation (see Rick Parry).

 

With Tsimikas I feel like we've approached this brilliantly. We'd have to totally cluster fuck this up to not walk away with one very good back up left back for sub 15m. Lewis, Tsimikas, both great players and I'd be really happy with our first signing of the summer if we get either of them.

 

FWIW, this is what I would consider a good summer given the realities of our situation (and our owners). In order:

  1. A very good forward, somebody who can truly rival for a first team place
  2. Deputy left back, preferably young with potential to push for first team (12m)
  3. Thiago (26m)
  4. Deputy CB, preferably young with potential to push for first team

With us getting rid of Lovren (11m), Origi (25m), Wilson (16m), Grujic (18m). Shaqiri (11m), Larouci (6m)

 

That has us generating 90m (not including wages saved on Lallana and co) and after spending 38m on a LB and Thiago, 42m left to invest in the squad. That makes it difficult to achieve #1 and #4 above.

 

This isn't Fifa though so there's no fucking chance half of that transpires. Until it does I will be in this thread calling our owners a bunch of tight cunts.

Half of it will transpire points 2 and 4. There only was one one size fits all option for 1 it’s gone and 3 will end up at PSG. The nice to haves are out the window klopp basically addressing areas where if we are honest scared the lives out of us at times last year when other players had to deputise. Going to flog front three to death one more season and hope we unearth two more talents to complement Elliot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, aws said:

Which one of Lewis or Tsimakas has more experience/ potential for covering at both LB and CB? 

I don't know anything about Tsimikas but I doubt Lewis has ever played centre back. And I doubt he could. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aws said:

Which one of Lewis or Tsimakas has more experience/ potential for covering at both LB and CB? 

Bit of a brexit answer but I'd prefer my reserve full back to be local. Keeping a young Greek lad content without playing ball will be more difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aRdja said:

Yup. I watched the extended highlights this morning. He looked really good, and Adama didn’t do much damage. Forget Lewis, I’d like for us to sign this guy instead.

Traore barely got a sniff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

Yeah you may be right there. Milner goes into midfield rotation full time then too.

Klopp may want a Klavan type in though depending how ready he thinks Van den Berg and/or Hoever are.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

 

Fixing one problem and creating another.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

Sepp is nowhere near mate, Hoever is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

If we bring in cover at left back, I feel fairly certain we'll go with the 3 centre backs we have and use sepp/fabinho/Henderson as cover. With Williams also covering at right back it means Gomez has no full back responsibility except in extreme cases. If we buy Lewis (or this Greek lad), I feel they're the replacement for lovren, so a cash neutral transaction, a slight wage reduction and a slight rebalancing of responsibilities in the squad. 

Based on Matip injury record (and I am a fan of his) this is a perilous approach to the new season. Not sold on Sepp was kind off hoping Hoever would be getting close to 4th CB .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×