Quantcast
Summer 2020 Transfer Thread - Page 154 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Captain Turdseye

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

37 minutes ago, an tha said:

Are you sure you posted the right article? That says we are interested, just to be cautious as he wants playing time which he will definitely get with Robertson the only recognised left back. The comparison used is Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City last summer who went to Bournemouth instead of interest from us. I'm not convinced he will be 100% happy with that decision.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Based on what (this is a genuine question)?

Analytics-types are split on how much our statisticians have developed some sort of analytical secret sauce and how much is just the club listening to them when it comes time to make recruitment decisions, but one thing no one seems able to explain in the public sphere is how we found Robertson.

His numbers at Hull are good, but nothing stands out as incredible. And yet he came in for the same price as Kevin Stewart and became one of the best left backs in world football in a season's time.

So did we get really lucky? Or has the Graham/Edwards braintrust developed some algorithm that uses non-publicly available data to find secretly brilliant fullbacks off relegated sides? And if so, what is the algorithm looking at? All questions that might be answered if we bring in Jamal Lewis. Who, with a npxG/xA of 0.05/90 does not exactly jump off the page as a fullback who contributes meaningful attacking numbers.

Suffice it to say my money is on Edwards and Graham. If they say Lewis is the one to get off Norwich (I'd have been looking for a cheap deal for Buendia myself), then let's get him.

Stats wise, what does Robbo excel at now?

18 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I hope we do sign Lewis, because I desperately want us to win the title again and do it by spending fuck all money, just to boil piss in Manchester and London.

That's why I want us to sign Hudson-Odoi as well, I want to recycle players that Lampard thinks are shit, and then dunk on his head using his own 'shit' players for the ultimate piss-boiling.

Same with Lewis, relegated club, fucking nice one, we'll have him ta, watch us develop him into twice the player Wan Bissaka or Mendy is, you fucking idiots. 

I want a hat-trick of titles out of this Liverpool team, which would match the two trebles that United achieved in the PL, the one we did from 81, Arsenal in the 1930's, and Huddersfield back in the 1920's.  

Then I want us to be the first club to win a 4th.

And I want all this done largely retaining the same players we have, and then adding fucking nobodies and kids, and I want to live off the fume of opposition fans hating us for doing that. 

Conveniently ignoring the fact the Coutimho sale allowed us to go out and get the world's best gk and cb.  Propelling a side that fought for 4th to title challengers. 

Doesn't fit the narrative when there's no one to sell to give the manager an actual transfer budget. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I hope we do sign Lewis, because I desperately want us to win the title again and do it by spending fuck all money, just to boil piss in Manchester and London.

That's why I want us to sign Hudson-Odoi as well, I want to recycle players that Lampard thinks are shit, and then dunk on his head using his own 'shit' players for the ultimate piss-boiling.

Same with Lewis, relegated club, fucking nice one, we'll have him ta, watch us develop him into twice the player Wan Bissaka or Mendy is, you fucking idiots. 

I want a hat-trick of titles out of this Liverpool team, which would match the two trebles that United achieved in the PL, the one we did from 81, Arsenal in the 1930's, and Huddersfield back in the 1920's.  

Then I want us to be the first club to win a 4th.

And I want all this done largely retaining the same players we have, and then adding fucking nobodies and kids, and I want to live off the fume of opposition fans hating us for doing that. 

That's all great in theory. I don't know enough about Lewis, but I've seen enough of odoi to not understand who he'd be replacing in the squad. I think origi is a bit crap, but he's a better player than odoi even on the wing. Klopp is fucking brilliant at raising players games, especially in an attacking sense. He also knows when to cut his losses and he no longer has Bournemouth to help in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Are you sure you posted the right article? That says we are interested, just to be cautious as he wants playing time which he will definitely get with Robertson the only recognised left back. The comparison used is Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City last summer who went to Bournemouth instead of interest from us. I'm not convinced he will be 100% happy with that decision.

It was the 'he wants playing time' problem...i was referring to. Hence saying 'starting to pour cold water'

They seem to pose a problem to every potential signing 'too expensive' 'will want playing time' 'too old' 'wages'....always something.

Why not just publish story without those 'problems' - to read their stories we could literally never sign anyone.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

It was the 'he wants playing time' problem...i was referring to. Hence saying 'starting to pour cold water'

They seem to pose a problem to every potential signing 'too expensive' 'will want playing time' 'too old'....always something.

Why not just publish story without those 'problems' - to read their storoes we could literally never sign anyone.

They introduce the problems so it's easy to excuse when the deal doesn't happen "we wanted Lewis, but he wasn't prepared to not play every week", they used to use the same line about Werner till Werner spent 2 months basically begging us to move for him, so then we had to shift the goalposts to "it wouldn't look good buying a backup forward after the furlough debacle". Oh hang on. The furlough debacle fsg chose themselves to do and then later back tracked? It's a fucking nonsense and the echos willingness (and to be fair all the other journos who's career completely depends on keeping the club sweet) is fucking embarrassing for them and for the people who swallow it. It's like believing a word Laura Cuntsberg comes out with regarding Johnson and his puppet master. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

That's all great in theory. I don't know enough about Lewis, but I've seen enough of odoi to not understand who he'd be replacing in the squad. I think origi is a bit crap, but he's a better player than odoi even on the wing. Klopp is fucking brilliant at raising players games, especially in an attacking sense. He also knows when to cut his losses and he no longer has Bournemouth to help in that regard. 

That’s far from the truth. Origi is a decent striker but a brutal winger. CHO’s natural position is left wing. He’s not the finished article but he’s as good a prospect as you can find in the league as far as LW goes.

9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

They introduce the problems so it's easy to excuse when the deal doesn't happen "we wanted Lewis, but he wasn't prepared to not play every week", they used to use the same line about Werner till Werner spent 2 months basically begging us to move for him, so then we had to shift the goalposts to "it wouldn't look good buying a backup forward after the furlough debacle". Oh hang on. The furlough debacle fsg chose themselves to do and then later back tracked? It's a fucking nonsense and the echos willingness (and to be fair all the other journos who's career completely depends on keeping the club sweet) is fucking embarrassing for them and for the people who swallow it. It's like believing a word Laura Cuntsberg comes out with regarding Johnson and his puppet master. 

In this instance for me all they should be saying is Lewis at 22 would offer good back up to Robertson and would be able to continue his development at the highest level, with a place in the champions matchday squad pretty much guaranteed....a real step up from relegation and championship football.

Not talk about how me 'may struggle to convince him to join'

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That’s far from the truth. Origi is a decent striker but a brutal winger. CHO’s natural position is left wing. He’s not the finished article but he’s as good a prospect as you can find in the league as far as LW goes.

Odoi? Not a chance. He will spend most of his career where ibe will spend his. Chelsea are out buying players now because he doesn't cut the mustard, exactly like we did using Ibe to fund the Mane transfer. Odoi runs around with absolutely zero quality to anything he does. Not a chance he will make it with a top 6 team. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

In this instance for me all they should be saying is Lewis at 22 would offer good back up to Robertson and would be able to continue his development at the highest level, with a place in the champions matchday squad pretty much guaranteed....a real step up from relegation and championship football.

Not talk about how me 'may struggle to convince him to join'

But that story would suggest it would be Liverpool's failure should we not sign him. If it's about him refusing not to play every week (which I'm sure it won't be, but people will remember and link these articles), then it's Lewis's failure for not having the ambition or vision to join us. Equally, if laroucci fails to go there or Norwich fail to value him at the price we expect, then it gives another argument not to do it because of this covid business "it would have made sense if Norwich carried on paying his wages while he played for us, but with covid we can't be expected to add to what is already one of the highest wage bills in the sport". 

5 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Odoi? Not a chance. He will spend most of his career where ibe will spend his. Chelsea are out buying players now because he doesn't cut the mustard, exactly like we did using Ibe to fund the Mane transfer. Odoi runs around with absolutely zero quality to anything he does. Not a chance he will make it with a top 6 team. 

He’s had injury problems, but he’s a top top prospect. He’s several levels above Ibe. Even Bayern Munich went after him real hard. None of Ziyech, Havertz nor Werner are natural left wingers, and Chelsea’s transfer decisions as we know aren’t the best parameter for you to use to judge the quality of their players. Please refer to De Bruyne, Salah, Sturridge, Lukaku, etc.

I see. Lewis might not come to the European and Premier League Champions from relegated no hopers Norwich because he wants to play every week? yeah ok.

The narrative that no one could possibly break into this first 11 does my nut in. A player talented and hungry enough could do it whether they were 2 million or 80 million.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I see. Lewis might not come to the European and Premier League Champions from relegated no hopers Norwich because he wants to play every week? yeah ok.

The narrative that no one could possibly break into this first 11 does my nut in. A player talented and hungry enough could do it whether they were 2 million or 80 million.

I don’t think peak Roberto Carlos could dislodge Robertson in fairness that’s how good he’s been in the last two years. 

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

The obvious response to that would be from watching him play last season. You can’t rely just on stats. Seen on Twitter that Maguire has better stats than Virgil... I like the Englishman more than most but we can all agree that he’s no Virgil.

He's talking about the stats scouts and directors of football use that they themselves develop or that they get that the public aren't privy to unless you pay some company, not the surface level numbers like tackles per game and such that people on Twitter use to win their arguments. 

There must certainly be a very good statistical reason why we'd be interested in Lewis, because he was in large part shite this season and was benched for Sam Byram. 

I'm not overly sold on the idea of a new left back. Say we get a Lewis type then he plays 6 to 8 league games and some in Europe too. I'd rather Robbo plays 38 and is covered by Milner and Williams if needs be. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra played every week, Robbo is too important not to play.

Radio City just said it will be a quiet transfer window for both us and Everton. Apparently we've lost £30m due to the pandemic and Everton have lost £9m. Presumably as we earn more from matchdays than them and we are on tv more.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think peak Roberto Carlos could dislodge Robertson in fairness that’s how good he’s been in the last two years. 

Thats the challenge to Robbo mate, a place is never guaranteed. If he keeps it up he will be tough to dislodge.

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Radio City just said it will be a quiet transfer window for both us and Everton. Apparently we've lost £30m due to the pandemic and Everton have lost £9m. Presumably as we earn more from matchdays than them and we are on tv more.

30m? peanuts for our owners that.

13 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Against West Ham? Mate he was finished as a fullback then. He played there against Palace and got absolutely mauled.

He did ok there in the 2nd half v Barcelona at Anfield to be fair

Just now, Razoray said:

He did ok there in the 2nd half v Barcelona at Anfield to be fair

yeah true. Don't get me wrong I love Milner, I just think these days that role doesn't suit him. I'll be happy if he sticks around next season definitely.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Everyone will lose money though, interesting to see what happens.

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not overly sold on the idea of a new left back. Say we get a Lewis type then he plays 6 to 8 league games and some in Europe too. I'd rather Robbo plays 38 and is covered by Milner and Williams if needs be. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra played every week, Robbo is too important not to play.

Terrible idea

We need natural width at fullback. Milner slows everything down far to much out there, Neco would be the same coming in on his right foot

Guess it could come down to whether the lad is up for the challenge. Sure, he'll know he'll be back up but he's young enough to learn more and develop, also going to get a step in in training, being part of a successful squad etc.

To paraphrase Jurgen, there's worse things in life than being Liverpool's back up left back.