You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

8 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Liverpool have struck early to bring in a new signing in the summer window, with Polish winger Mateusz Musialowski signing up.

The 16-year-old has joined for a six-figure sum and will link-up, initially, with the club’s academy. The teenager operates down the right wing and arrives from SMS Lodz.

Musialowski comes with a fine reputation and has already been tipped as a future international for his country.

The winger links up with compatriot Fabian Mrozek; the goalkeeper also arriving at Melwood to join Liverpool’s academy.

Despite the capture of the duo, it’s not expected to be a busy summer window for Liverpool.

The club are in the market for a new centre-half following Dejan Lovren’s departure. Liverpool have seen an intial bid of £9m rejected by Real Betis for defender Aissa Mandi. However, they won’t need to raise their bid by much to land the Algerian.

Aside from that, there doesn’t look to be any other major arrivals coming in at Anfield.

Klopp has hinted he is happy with his squad, with their spending impacted by the global economic downturn.

“I am happy with my squad 100%. I was last year when people wanted us to sign him and him but because of our reasons we did not do it,” Jurgen Klopp said.

“It’s not that we don’t want to, we try to make the right decisions constantly and then COVID came. The situation changed and not for the better.

“It’s not that we think we cannot improve with transfers, we do what is right for us and what we are able to do, that’s all.

“If other teams invest I have no idea, they may know more about the future, I don’t know. But the main difference between us and other teams this year was consistency.”

A lot of Polish right wingers around these days...

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Based on what (this is a genuine question)?

Analytics-types are split on how much our statisticians have developed some sort of analytical secret sauce and how much is just the club listening to them when it comes time to make recruitment decisions, but one thing no one seems able to explain in the public sphere is how we found Robertson.

His numbers at Hull are good, but nothing stands out as incredible. And yet he came in for the same price as Kevin Stewart and became one of the best left backs in world football in a season's time.

So did we get really lucky? Or has the Graham/Edwards braintrust developed some algorithm that uses non-publicly available data to find secretly brilliant fullbacks off relegated sides? And if so, what is the algorithm looking at? All questions that might be answered if we bring in Jamal Lewis. Who, with a npxG/xA of 0.05/90 does not exactly jump off the page as a fullback who contributes meaningful attacking numbers.

Suffice it to say my money is on Edwards and Graham. If they say Lewis is the one to get off Norwich (I'd have been looking for a cheap deal for Buendia myself), then let's get him.

We needed a left back, rule out players from rival clubs, players that are shit/too old/ not athletic enough etc and at the time your left looking at maybe 4 players in PL. I don't care what the stats say, any scout watching Robertson closely for 3 or 4 matches would see a player. I seen him against Ireland when he was still playing in the SPL and thought he looked good. Not Liverpool good but given the opportunity to see him play in the flesh a few times I'd like to think I could have figured it out.

Who on here wasn't impressed after his debut? Literally in his first game he was up and down the line delivering crosses, that's not a magical system, it's old fashioned scouting.

6 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I think we can assume Jamal Lewis is all but done and Larouci going the other is also probably all but done.

Reddy and Maddock, both mouthpieces of the club, breaking the story within minutes of each other means they've probably been briefed by the club. I also think they've previously been told (like all other local journos) not to report speculative transfer information in order to remain in good standing with the club (after VVD). And if the club is briefing them then...I'd assume it's already all but done.

Think its a decent signing for a back up left back which was essential. 10m offset by Larouci (5m?) makes the economics work and whilst I think he's very raw, he actually reminds me a lot of Robbo. At 22 years old he has plenty of time to develop.

The echo now spinning it that it needs to be a robbo type deal for is with laroucci covering the fee the way Stewart did for robbo and Lewis mightn't be interested as he's used to playing every week. So they've thrown in a few excuses for when the deal falls through for the fsg fan boys to cling to. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Analytics-types are split on how much our statisticians have developed some sort of analytical secret sauce and how much is just the club listening to them when it comes time to make recruitment decisions, but one thing no one seems able to explain in the public sphere is how we found Robertson.

His numbers at Hull are good, but nothing stands out as incredible. And yet he came in for the same price as Kevin Stewart and became one of the best left backs in world football in a season's time.

So did we get really lucky? Or has the Graham/Edwards braintrust developed some algorithm that uses non-publicly available data to find secretly brilliant fullbacks off relegated sides? And if so, what is the algorithm looking at? All questions that might be answered if we bring in Jamal Lewis. Who, with a npxG/xA of 0.05/90 does not exactly jump off the page as a fullback who contributes meaningful attacking numbers.

Suffice it to say my money is on Edwards and Graham. If they say Lewis is the one to get off Norwich (I'd have been looking for a cheap deal for Buendia myself), then let's get him.

Or klopp is fucking boss? He couldn't spend a fortune on a full back, knew pretty much anyone would be better than moreno and he was happy to have a project? We only moved for robbo as we couldn't get chillwell on the back of Wagner's recommendation, chillwell I think at that point hadn't played a premier league game. Robbo was not bought as a world star, he was a project and klopp combined with robbos willingness to listen and work became a world star. There's no secret Edward sauce, Edwards secret sauce is what brought is balotelli or etoo as the only 2 options to replace Suarez. Our secret sauce isn't very secret. It's the manager. 

• Upvote 3

I hope we do sign Lewis, because I desperately want us to win the title again and do it by spending fuck all money, just to boil piss in Manchester and London.

That's why I want us to sign Hudson-Odoi as well, I want to recycle players that Lampard thinks are shit, and then dunk on his head using his own 'shit' players for the ultimate piss-boiling.

Same with Lewis, relegated club, fucking nice one, we'll have him ta, watch us develop him into twice the player Wan Bissaka or Mendy is, you fucking idiots. 

I want a hat-trick of titles out of this Liverpool team, which would match the two trebles that United achieved in the PL, the one we did from 81, Arsenal in the 1930's, and Huddersfield back in the 1920's.  

Then I want us to be the first club to win a 4th.

And I want all this done largely retaining the same players we have, and then adding fucking nobodies and kids, and I want to live off the fume of opposition fans hating us for doing that. 

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, an tha said:

Are you sure you posted the right article? That says we are interested, just to be cautious as he wants playing time which he will definitely get with Robertson the only recognised left back. The comparison used is Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City last summer who went to Bournemouth instead of interest from us. I'm not convinced he will be 100% happy with that decision.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Stats wise, what does Robbo excel at now?

18 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I hope we do sign Lewis, because I desperately want us to win the title again and do it by spending fuck all money, just to boil piss in Manchester and London.

That's why I want us to sign Hudson-Odoi as well, I want to recycle players that Lampard thinks are shit, and then dunk on his head using his own 'shit' players for the ultimate piss-boiling.

Same with Lewis, relegated club, fucking nice one, we'll have him ta, watch us develop him into twice the player Wan Bissaka or Mendy is, you fucking idiots. 

I want a hat-trick of titles out of this Liverpool team, which would match the two trebles that United achieved in the PL, the one we did from 81, Arsenal in the 1930's, and Huddersfield back in the 1920's.  

And I want all this done largely retaining the same players we have, and then adding fucking nobodies and kids, and I want to live off the fume of opposition fans hating us for doing that. 

Conveniently ignoring the fact the Coutimho sale allowed us to go out and get the world's best gk and cb.  Propelling a side that fought for 4th to title challengers. 

Doesn't fit the narrative when there's no one to sell to give the manager an actual transfer budget. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That's all great in theory. I don't know enough about Lewis, but I've seen enough of odoi to not understand who he'd be replacing in the squad. I think origi is a bit crap, but he's a better player than odoi even on the wing. Klopp is fucking brilliant at raising players games, especially in an attacking sense. He also knows when to cut his losses and he no longer has Bournemouth to help in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Are you sure you posted the right article? That says we are interested, just to be cautious as he wants playing time which he will definitely get with Robertson the only recognised left back. The comparison used is Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City last summer who went to Bournemouth instead of interest from us. I'm not convinced he will be 100% happy with that decision.

It was the 'he wants playing time' problem...i was referring to. Hence saying 'starting to pour cold water'

They seem to pose a problem to every potential signing 'too expensive' 'will want playing time' 'too old' 'wages'....always something.

Why not just publish story without those 'problems' - to read their stories we could literally never sign anyone.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

It was the 'he wants playing time' problem...i was referring to. Hence saying 'starting to pour cold water'

They seem to pose a problem to every potential signing 'too expensive' 'will want playing time' 'too old'....always something.

Why not just publish story without those 'problems' - to read their storoes we could literally never sign anyone.

They introduce the problems so it's easy to excuse when the deal doesn't happen "we wanted Lewis, but he wasn't prepared to not play every week", they used to use the same line about Werner till Werner spent 2 months basically begging us to move for him, so then we had to shift the goalposts to "it wouldn't look good buying a backup forward after the furlough debacle". Oh hang on. The furlough debacle fsg chose themselves to do and then later back tracked? It's a fucking nonsense and the echos willingness (and to be fair all the other journos who's career completely depends on keeping the club sweet) is fucking embarrassing for them and for the people who swallow it. It's like believing a word Laura Cuntsberg comes out with regarding Johnson and his puppet master. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

That's all great in theory. I don't know enough about Lewis, but I've seen enough of odoi to not understand who he'd be replacing in the squad. I think origi is a bit crap, but he's a better player than odoi even on the wing. Klopp is fucking brilliant at raising players games, especially in an attacking sense. He also knows when to cut his losses and he no longer has Bournemouth to help in that regard. 

That’s far from the truth. Origi is a decent striker but a brutal winger. CHO’s natural position is left wing. He’s not the finished article but he’s as good a prospect as you can find in the league as far as LW goes.

9 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

They introduce the problems so it's easy to excuse when the deal doesn't happen "we wanted Lewis, but he wasn't prepared to not play every week", they used to use the same line about Werner till Werner spent 2 months basically begging us to move for him, so then we had to shift the goalposts to "it wouldn't look good buying a backup forward after the furlough debacle". Oh hang on. The furlough debacle fsg chose themselves to do and then later back tracked? It's a fucking nonsense and the echos willingness (and to be fair all the other journos who's career completely depends on keeping the club sweet) is fucking embarrassing for them and for the people who swallow it. It's like believing a word Laura Cuntsberg comes out with regarding Johnson and his puppet master. 

In this instance for me all they should be saying is Lewis at 22 would offer good back up to Robertson and would be able to continue his development at the highest level, with a place in the champions matchday squad pretty much guaranteed....a real step up from relegation and championship football.

Not talk about how me 'may struggle to convince him to join'

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That’s far from the truth. Origi is a decent striker but a brutal winger. CHO’s natural position is left wing. He’s not the finished article but he’s as good a prospect as you can find in the league as far as LW goes.

Odoi? Not a chance. He will spend most of his career where ibe will spend his. Chelsea are out buying players now because he doesn't cut the mustard, exactly like we did using Ibe to fund the Mane transfer. Odoi runs around with absolutely zero quality to anything he does. Not a chance he will make it with a top 6 team. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

In this instance for me all they should be saying is Lewis at 22 would offer good back up to Robertson and would be able to continue his development at the highest level, with a place in the champions matchday squad pretty much guaranteed....a real step up from relegation and championship football.

Not talk about how me 'may struggle to convince him to join'

But that story would suggest it would be Liverpool's failure should we not sign him. If it's about him refusing not to play every week (which I'm sure it won't be, but people will remember and link these articles), then it's Lewis's failure for not having the ambition or vision to join us. Equally, if laroucci fails to go there or Norwich fail to value him at the price we expect, then it gives another argument not to do it because of this covid business "it would have made sense if Norwich carried on paying his wages while he played for us, but with covid we can't be expected to add to what is already one of the highest wage bills in the sport". 

5 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Odoi? Not a chance. He will spend most of his career where ibe will spend his. Chelsea are out buying players now because he doesn't cut the mustard, exactly like we did using Ibe to fund the Mane transfer. Odoi runs around with absolutely zero quality to anything he does. Not a chance he will make it with a top 6 team. 

He’s had injury problems, but he’s a top top prospect. He’s several levels above Ibe. Even Bayern Munich went after him real hard. None of Ziyech, Havertz nor Werner are natural left wingers, and Chelsea’s transfer decisions as we know aren’t the best parameter for you to use to judge the quality of their players. Please refer to De Bruyne, Salah, Sturridge, Lukaku, etc.

I see. Lewis might not come to the European and Premier League Champions from relegated no hopers Norwich because he wants to play every week? yeah ok.

The narrative that no one could possibly break into this first 11 does my nut in. A player talented and hungry enough could do it whether they were 2 million or 80 million.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I see. Lewis might not come to the European and Premier League Champions from relegated no hopers Norwich because he wants to play every week? yeah ok.

The narrative that no one could possibly break into this first 11 does my nut in. A player talented and hungry enough could do it whether they were 2 million or 80 million.

I don’t think peak Roberto Carlos could dislodge Robertson in fairness that’s how good he’s been in the last two years. 

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

The obvious response to that would be from watching him play last season. You can’t rely just on stats. Seen on Twitter that Maguire has better stats than Virgil... I like the Englishman more than most but we can all agree that he’s no Virgil.

He's talking about the stats scouts and directors of football use that they themselves develop or that they get that the public aren't privy to unless you pay some company, not the surface level numbers like tackles per game and such that people on Twitter use to win their arguments. 

There must certainly be a very good statistical reason why we'd be interested in Lewis, because he was in large part shite this season and was benched for Sam Byram. 

I'm not overly sold on the idea of a new left back. Say we get a Lewis type then he plays 6 to 8 league games and some in Europe too. I'd rather Robbo plays 38 and is covered by Milner and Williams if needs be. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra played every week, Robbo is too important not to play.