You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I have a tough time imagining us being interested in Aouar. We've got Chamberlain and Keita as backups to Wijnaldum and Henderson for the #8. Not to mention Curtis Jones who is beating down the door to play. Plus, he'd need a lot of adaptation. If it took Fabinho 6 months to adapt to us, it would take Aouar a year and he's at an age where he needs and would expect to play regular football.

The midfielder I would sign is Camavinga. He has been astoundingly consistent, if not brilliant for a 17 year old and I think he has a clear position for us, which would be the #6. He is an incredible ball-winner already despite being years away from him physical peak and he is really composed on the ball. We could sign him for about 30m and stick him behind Fabinho to learn and play some matches here and there. He would need to adapt obviously, but he is already good enough for that and because of his very young age, he'd be given loads of time and leeway.

Camavinga would cost more than £30m, think they've already rejected £50m.  He's not unknown, he's won the most tackles, got the most interceptions etc in the French League.  

Why would Aouar take a year to adapt but it only took Ox, Fabinho, Robertson half a season?  What am I missing here?

We've currently got three options for the 6 role at the club in Henderson, Fabinho & Gini.  I don't see the need for Camavinga, other than he's incredibly talented but would cost A LOT.

In the 8 position however two of our options are Lallana & Milner.  Lallana will probably leave, Milner isn't the youngest and can play in other positions like back up full back.  Given the injury history of Ox & Keita, I'd have thought the need of a more creative 8 in Aouar than a ball winning 6 in Camavinga looking at the squad.

1 hour ago, LF:D said:

Camavinga would cost more than £30m, think they've already rejected £50m.  He's not unknown, he's won the most tackles, got the most interceptions etc in the French League.  

Why would Aouar take a year to adapt but it only took Ox, Fabinho, Robertson half a season?  What am I missing here?

We've currently got three options for the 6 role at the club in Henderson, Fabinho & Gini.  I don't see the need for Camavinga, other than he's incredibly talented but would cost A LOT.

In the 8 position however two of our options are Lallana & Milner.  Lallana will probably leave, Milner isn't the youngest and can play in other positions like back up full back.  Given the injury history of Ox & Keita, I'd have thought the need of a more creative 8 in Aouar than a ball winning 6 in Camavinga looking at the squad.

Because Aouar is someone who would need a lot of adaptation to the way we play. I've watched loads of Lyon. He is very talented but I have doubts whether he would be physically ready to play for us, especially to play as a #8. Chamberlain and Robertson already had experience in the English game and Fabinho is a physical marvel.  It would take a lot of time for Aouar. If we bought him it would be a "project" of sorts.

Camavinga at a younger age is more physically ready. Whether Rennes have rejected bids isn't really known. Olivier Létang, the ex-President of Rennes was sacked recently and rumour has it part of that was because he wanted to sell Camavinga to Real Madrid. So maybe Rennes are not receptive, but none of that is confirmed.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because Aouar is someone who would need a lot of adaptation to the way we play. I've watched loads of Lyon. He is very talented but I have doubts whether he would be physically ready to play for us, especially to play as a #8. Chamberlain and Robertson already had experience in the English game and Fabinho is a physical marvel.  It would take a lot of time for Aouar. If we bought him it would be a "project" of sorts.

Camavinga at a younger age is more physically ready. Whether Rennes have rejected bids isn't really known. Olivier Létang, the ex-President of Rennes was sacked recently and rumour has it part of that was because he wanted to sell Camavinga to Real Madrid. So maybe Rennes are not receptive, but none of that is confirmed.

I love both players, I don't really agree with you about Aouar being a project or anymore than others signed.  But we'll never know on that.

I'm never an ITK on here but my friend is a football agent and told me about the Camavinga offers.

Still don't see how you think the squad needs a 6 over an 8 though.

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Gina G rep.

I ruined a copy of Smash Hits because of her.

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Snap, mate. I was disgusted that Chaka Demus and Pliers hadn’t featured in that issue so I threw it straight in the bin. 

I think he got his wet wet wet

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, LF:D said:

I love both players, I don't really agree with you about Aouar being a project or anymore than others signed.  But we'll never know on that.

I'm never an ITK on here but my friend is a football agent and told me about the Camavinga offers.

Still don't see how you think the squad needs a 6 over an 8 though.

Pretty simple. Gini and Hendo are primarily #8's. And then you've got Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner and eventually Jones who is desperate for a chance and has shown quality. Those are plenty of players, both experienced and young. 6 for 2 positions.

Looking at it that way, buying Aouar would seemingly already be a waste, not to mention that as I said, I think his adaptation would be long and he would be costly. Wijnaldum rarely plays #6, it seems like an emergency thing, so in reality all we have behind Fabinho is Hendo who is our best #8 anyway.

Camavinga's not even really a dedicated #6. He plays in a midfield 2 at Rennes, but his qualities suggest that he would be really good there.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Pretty simple. Gini and Hendo are primarily #8's. And then you've got Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner and eventually Jones who is desperate for a chance and has shown quality. Those are plenty of players, both experienced and young. 6 for 2 positions.

Looking at it that way, buying Aouar would seemingly already be a waste, not to mention that as I said, I think his adaptation would be long and he would be costly. Wijnaldum rarely plays #6, it seems like an emergency thing, so in reality all we have behind Fabinho is Hendo who is our best #8 anyway.

Camavinga's not even really a dedicated #6. He plays in a midfield 2 at Rennes, but his qualities suggest that he would be really good there.

OK, can’t agree - for reasons I gave earlier. 

On 13/02/2020 at 16:08, Ne Moe Imya said:

I doubt we'd get over £30m for Divock, maybe £25m. Just because we all love him for his iconic goals doesn't mean the rest of football will overrate him.

Still, between Lovren, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic, and Origi (if we're talking about Werner and Sancho, then I'd think Origi is out the door for sure) we should be able to get in £80m or so, which would make the double swoop theoretically possible.

Hugely unlikely, though. Much more likely we'll get Werner, a backup left back and maybe a midfielder. I'd be pretty happy with that, especially if the midfielder was Aouar.

Origi won't go for less than £40 mil and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another 10 mil added to that. 

Even ignoring Edwards' ability to recoup far higher valuations on our players, he's young, on a long term deal, and highly rated on the continent as well as by several Premier league clubs.

It's the Liverpool fans that (deep down} know he's not all that... although something tells me for the right team in the #9, he'd have a Southampton Ings style impact.

29 minutes ago, m0e said:

Origi won't go for less than £40 mil and I wouldn't be surprised if there is another 10 mil added to that. 

Even ignoring Edwards' ability to recoup far higher valuations on our players, he's young, on a long term deal, and highly rated on the continent as well as by several Premier league clubs.

It's the Liverpool fans that (deep down} know he's not all that... although something tells me for the right team in the #9, he'd have a Southampton Ings style impact.

Doubt it

He has been terrible in his last season in France and awful on loan in Germany. The best hope is Wolves are still interested. Can't see a fee above 30/35 million