You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

So as we have been saying all along, this is the Jurgen show, he's the driver, he's the tour de force and everyone responds to him. Be interesting to see where we are when he's gone.

I absolutely agree with that - but the big difference between Klopp and for example Ferguson - is if Klopp has a say on who takes over from him, he will choose someone whom he trusts to take the project forward and if it doesn't stay the same it gets better. Alternatively if he has no direct say he may be working on the club so that whomever comes in it won't be a surprise, perhaps they will already be inside the club.

Ferguson choosing Moyes was ALWAYS going to end in tears and Ferguson almost certainly knew that. He wanted to protect his legacy and show the Mancs just how lucky they were to have him. I think the same is true of Klopp - we are lucky to have him - but I really think he has the best interests of the club and everyone involved with it. And that counts whether he is here or not.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

I absolutely agree with that - but the big difference between Klopp and for example Ferguson - is if Klopp has a say on who takes over from him, he will choose someone whom he trusts to take the project forward and if it doesn't stay the same it gets better. Alternatively if he has no direct say he may be working on the club so that whomever comes in it won't be a surprise, perhaps they will already be inside the club.

Ferguson choosing Moyes was ALWAYS going to end in tears and Ferguson almost certainly knew that. He wanted to protect his legacy and show the Mancs just how lucky they were to have him. I think the same is true of Klopp - we are lucky to have him - but I really think he has the best interests of the club and everyone involved with it. And that counts whether he is here or not.

Oh John henry said 'organisation' LOL

Maybe...but its not just the endorsement, can whoever takes over actually do it? I havent seen many managers in my lifetime like Jurgen, you can count them on one hand.

He is just incredible. That first interview when he joined and he said he'd win the league in 4 years, thats some balls right there, to say and then deliver. he's one of the greatest managers of all time in my humble opinion.

11 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Oh John henry said 'organisation' LOL

Maybe...but its not just the endorsement, can whoever takes over actually do it? I havent seen many managers in my lifetime like Jurgen, you can count them on one hand.

He is just incredible. That first interview when he joined and he said he'd win the league in 4 years, thats some balls right there, to say and then deliver. he's one of the greatest managers of all time in my humble opinion.

Shankly arguably had a much bigger job on his hands, a second division club and he signed players way better than most would have been able to - watching a video with Ian St John the other day he said he joined Liverpool in the second division because he believed Shankly when he said he was going to make the club massive.

Shankly spoke his mind and believed in his own ability and so does Jurgen. I would argue that the list of names that followed Shankly as manager suggests that there are definitely coaches who can take on the role of the greatest in the world - but I'm not convinced that they could have performed the same role from the beginning.

It's easier to push a moving object than to push a stationery one.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have a feeling they will close the club after Jurgens time is up. It is really the only thing that makes sense.

So 4 years and counting

Yup. Liquidate, change the name and make our way up the divisions again. Just to save ourselves the embarrassment of trying to exist without Jurgen.  

3 hours ago, elvis said:

I'd take a punt if he accepts he's not guaranteed a permanent start. Might bring the best out in Bobby again as well, and the free kicks would be very welcome also .

I'd rather Trent on the freekicks to be fair. It's like when people was fapping over Roberto Carlos' freekicks when he probably scored about seven spanding over his career. Looked good though. 

Not saying you were one of them ofcourse, but Trents looks much more consistent to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

I'd rather Trent on the freekicks to be fair. It's like when people was fapping over Roberto Carlos' freekicks when he probably scored about seven spanding over his career. Looked good though. 

Not saying you were one of them ofcourse, but Trents looks much more consistent to be honest.

Nah , love Trent obviously but consistent with free kicks he is not . Not yet anyway , Coutinho scored some absolute screamers in his last year or so

2 hours ago, Code said:

It looks like our owners seem to think the prices should drop between 30-50% In the markert because of the Corona situation.

They will not, there will be a vaccine next year and things will go back to normal during 2021.

We cant afford to be left behind because of this theory they have?  Are we selling players on the cheap?

We've been net spending about 20m ? per year under Klopp, just like under Moores back in the day. I really don't know where the money is hidden. We should be loaded, but apparently we don't have any cash. Don't see us spending anything under FSG. We've been lucky with Klopp and the few signings made or most of them. Probably only Karius, Oxpot and Keita have failed miserably. There is a player in Keita, Ox is just pure unadultered shit with the occasional goal here and there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Shankly arguably had a much bigger job on his hands, a second division club and he signed players way better than most would have been able to - watching a video with Ian St John the other day he said he joined Liverpool in the second division because he believed Shankly when he said he was going to make the club massive.

Shankly spoke his mind and believed in his own ability and so does Jurgen. I would argue that the list of names that followed Shankly as manager suggests that there are definitely coaches who can take on the role of the greatest in the world - but I'm not convinced that they could have performed the same role from the beginning.

It's easier to push a moving object than to push a stationery one.

Of course Shanks is up there and Paisley. We have been more fortunate than most to have these guys come to the Club and just 'get it' whilst being a total genius to boot.

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yup. Liquidate, change the name and make our way up the divisions again. Just to save ourselves the embarrassment of trying to exist without Jurgen.  

I don't think they will do that its much easier to just sell up when it becomes more hassle than its worth.

(yeah i know you are taking the piss)

12 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

We've been net spending about 20m ? per year under Klopp, just like under Moores back in the day. I really don't know where the money is hidden. We should be loaded, but apparently we don't have any cash. Don't see us spending anything under FSG. We've been lucky with Klopp and the few signings made or most of them. Probably only Karius, Oxpot and Keita have failed miserably. There is a player in Keita, Ox is just pure unadultered shit with the occasional goal here and there.

Most clubs with that net spend get relegated.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

The Coronavirus doesn't look like it has hit Salford the way it has hit Anfield. 

£109m on one player fucking hell. 

Yes and their 400+m debt just increased by the 120m loan they took out. Half a BILLION pound debt on the club. Sure they make a lot of money but that's a fucking load of debt. And the lad's achieved fuck all so, watch this space, id say.

13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

The Coronavirus doesn't look like it has hit Salford the way it has hit Anfield. 

£109m on one player fucking hell. 

I don't think we should judge ourselves against what the Mancs spend, they've always spent big and never shied from flexing their muscles.

I think our spending will tell it's own story.

1 minute ago, Bad Red Bull said:

It's 109 on Sancho plus 30 odd in agent fees plus he should be closer to 300k a week having beton 190

Yes good players cost money, are we never going to spend again despite being one of the richest clubs in the world? 

All hail the marvellous owners though, they don't take a penny out of the club, honest.  Just don't ask why one of the biggest clubs in the world get outsoent by Bournemouth. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Yes good players cost money, are we never going to spend again despite being one of the richest clubs in the world? 

All hail the marvellous owners though, they don't take a penny out of the club, honest.  Just don't ask why one of the biggest clubs in the world get outsoent by Bournemouth. 

Villa set to spunk another £100m this widow, while folks on here tell us they've already spent all of the pl money the will earn during this stint.  

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

Villa set to spunk another £100m this widow, while folks on here tell us they've already spent all of the pl money the will earn during this stint.  

Spending the biggest TV deal in history money.  I've no idea why Liverpool have been left out of the loop, we're still acting like it's 1996.

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes and their 400+m debt just increased by the 120m loan they took out. Half a BILLION pound debt on the club. Sure they make a lot of money but that's a fucking load of debt. And the lad's achieved fuck all so, watch this space, id say.

I haven't really seen that much of him to be fair, just the odd highlights reel which makes him look good. 

I wonder why he's so desperate to come back to England so soon, apart from money.

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

I don't think we should judge ourselves against what the Mancs spend, they've always spent big and never shied from flexing their muscles.

I think our spending will tell it's own story.

True but it just makes a mockery of the excuse that there's never any money, particularly when the club goes on about overtaking the Mancs in revenue and we have less debt.

I'm not saying we should spend 120m on one player but there should be some money available. 

If the Mancs got a decent manager then we need to worry.