You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

21 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

Surprised we aren't in for him if it's £1.5m and he can play R/B as well.

Not seeing any mention of KJH as a possible LB. In truth I've no idea whether he's ever played there but it's not impossible. 

Think Ki-Jana will be Neco's main competition for the backup right back spot, though longer term, he should be challenging to be competition for Gomez at centre half.

He could defo do a job at left back though. I'm sure he's played there a couple of times for the 23s when Neco has been on the right. It hasn't been often, perhaps even only for short periods of games when tactical changes were made. The old grey matter isn't what it once was...

On 01/08/2020 at 13:37, Moo said:

One of the pundits (can't remember who, think it may have been Linekar) said last week that he doesn't understand why our opponents don't just "stop the fullbacks", when it's clearly not that simple.  Stop the fullbacks and then what? Stop Mane and Salah too?  We were much more direct a couple of years ago, so go ahead if you want to man mark both fullbacks we'll just play it straight into Salah and Mane more.  We could do with a creative threatening midfielder though just in case an opponent works out how to nullify all four of Salah, Mane, TAA and Robertson in one go.  Not impossible of course but not likely on a regular basis.

Yep, our tactics are easy to suss but you need the players, the discipline and more important - the stamina - to do anything about it.

It's like saying you need to stop Becham putting crosses in or Drogba backing into a defender on the edge of a box then doing a turn and shot, easy to say not easy to do.

1 hour ago, aws said:

It's not a question of stopping our fullbacks, it's stopping them and stopping Salah and Mane at the same time. 

That's how I see it. You double up on the full backs, you leave yourself light in other areas where we have loads of talent. We've got a tremendous balance in that regard. The challenge is having capable players to stand in for the first 14 players or so, who can repeat the trick. 

9 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

That's how I see it. You double up on the full backs, you leave yourself light in other areas where we have loads of talent. We've got a tremendous balance in that regard. The challenge is having capable players to stand in for the first 14 players or so, who can repeat the trick. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47edag07pygpehl2dw3b

10 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

He is a good player but he's always injured. If they offered a decent fee then I think the club would take it, plus he's one of the highest earners at the club despite spending a lot of time not playing.

We'd have to absolutely bring someone in though. They can't muddle through selling lovren and matip. 

5 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Apparently, we're letting Shaq leave because of all the injuries.  Could be the same with Matip.

It seems like their bodies can't cope with the physical demands placed on the squad. Not much point in keeping injury prone players as part of the squad if they are rarely available. 

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It seems like their bodies can't cope with the physical demands placed on the squad. Not much point in keeping injury prone players as part of the squad if they are rarely available. 

You know someone at FSG has a $/minute spreadsheet with a top 3 filter on it.

• Upvote 1

With arsenal having to sell to rebuild, who should we buy even if as just squad fillers?

Arsenal are ready to cash in on several first-team stars to raise funds for Mikel Arteta's rebuild.

The Gunners eased their financial concerns to the tune of £30million with Saturday's euphoric FA Cup final victory over Chelsea, which booked their place in next season's Europa League.

But Arteta knows he must sell players to generate the money required to land his first-choice transfer targets — and he could even offload Alexandre Lacazette or Hector Bellerin if a sizeable offer is made for either player.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8586021/Arsenal-boss-Mikel-Arteta-offload-FA-Cup-stars-spend-summer.html

Loved him when he was here and I must admit, a very small part of me feels for Coutinho over his failed move to Barcelona. It's clear to me he was angling for a move away from Liverpool well before this deal actually happened. And the reason? Joorabchian, a supposed super agent who could take his new client's career to the next level, if you pardon the bullshit.

He's been reduced to being hawked around clubs. If he thought Bayern was going to be a bolt hole after Barcelona, he soon found out they had no intention of buying him.

So it looks like a return to the PL with a few clubs interested in him. I think he'll end up at arsenal. No way do I want him back, made your bed, now lie in it son.

Philippe Coutinho would never have envisioned his Barcelona career going so pear shaped that two years later he would be searching for a new club.

But that is the reality of his situation. Barcelona want to put the expensive mistake behind them and reclaim as much of the £145million they spent on Coutinho as they can while Bayern Munich, who had the Brazilian on loan last season, are not interested in signing him permanently. 

Now, a summer move back to England appears the most likeliest option with his agent Kia Joorabchian admitting that there is 'genuine interest' from several Premier League clubs.

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Loved him when he was here and I must admit, a very small part of me feels for Coutinho over his failed move to Barcelona. It's clear to me he was angling for a move away from Liverpool well before this deal actually happened. And the reason? Joorabchian, a supposed super agent who could take his new client's career to the next level, if you pardon the bullshit.

He's been reduced to being hawked around clubs. If he thought Bayern was going to be a bolt hole after Barcelona, he soon found out they had no intention of buying him.

So it looks like a return to the PL with a few clubs interested in him. I think he'll end up at arsenal. No way do I want him back, made your bed, now lie in it son.

Philippe Coutinho would never have envisioned his Barcelona career going so pear shaped that two years later he would be searching for a new club.

But that is the reality of his situation. Barcelona want to put the expensive mistake behind them and reclaim as much of the £145million they spent on Coutinho as they can while Bayern Munich, who had the Brazilian on loan last season, are not interested in signing him permanently. 

Now, a summer move back to England appears the most likeliest option with his agent Kia Joorabchian admitting that there is 'genuine interest' from several Premier League clubs.

Beds are not great for those with a bad back... or something.

Let his story be a lesson to those who think they can have it better elsewhere. All the signs were there that Liverpool were on the up while Barca were on the wane, even if slowly. Klopp told him to stay and he could end up having a statue, such would be his effect, but he was determined to 'go to the next level'.

Greener grass, and all that.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

With arsenal having to sell to rebuild, who should we buy even if as just squad fillers?

Arsenal are ready to cash in on several first-team stars to raise funds for Mikel Arteta's rebuild.

The Gunners eased their financial concerns to the tune of £30million with Saturday's euphoric FA Cup final victory over Chelsea, which booked their place in next season's Europa League.

But Arteta knows he must sell players to generate the money required to land his first-choice transfer targets — and he could even offload Alexandre Lacazette or Hector Bellerin if a sizeable offer is made for either player.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8586021/Arsenal-boss-Mikel-Arteta-offload-FA-Cup-stars-spend-summer.html

I like Bellerin, but that's mainly because of the time he and Corbyn treated Piers Morgan like a cunt.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Beds are not great for those with a bad back... or something.

Let his story be a lesson to those who think they can have it better elsewhere. All the signs were there that Liverpool were on the up while Barca were on the wane, even if slowly. Klopp told him to stay and he could end up having a statue, such would be his effect, but he was determined to 'go to the next level'.

Greener grass, and all that.

He did go to a different level, I’ll give him that.

• Upvote 1