Quantcast
Summer 2020 Transfer Thread - Page 128 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Captain Turdseye

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chelsea with a transfer ban somehow managed to spend nearly £36m more than us last year. 

 

20200729_212037.jpg

Chelsea had already agreed that deal when the transfer ban became effective.

 

Villa spunked their whole anticipated PL money in advance to stay up. They achieved the feat on the last game of the season.

 

You'd think any club spending less than 5m then pissing the league would be something to admire especially when everyone on here gets out of their tree over city's spending and 'buying' success. But no, it seems our owners are cunts because the club isnt throwing silly transfer fees around the gaff every summer window.

 

Thank fuck we didnt just buy anyone when the van Dijk transfer first fell through. Fuck knows who we'd have ended up with, maguire was a big shout from one or two if I remember right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What winds people up is the club going on about how clever they are getting commercial deals, selling unwanted players for good prices, generating far more income than most clubs then crying poverty. No other club earns the amount of money we do yet constantly puts out stories to downplay any spending. The only other club I can think of who have done that is Spurs but they have spent nearly a billion pounds on a new stadium. 

 

We always get fed stories that our sponsorship deals are increasing, the main stand generates £25m more a year, the Nike deal will earn the club more money, we can compete with anyone etc. Peter Moore saying we need to break the £500m mark in revenue to be competitive yet they then just make excuses when it comes to actually spending money. 

 

For the last couple of years the only transfer funds available to the best manager we've had for years are just generated from sales, sometimes he hasn't even had that. 

 

Then we get told that it's because of a new training facility. Most clubs have to pay for these things as well as paying staff. The new training ground is offset by selling land at Melwood and extending the academy that was already there, it's not like they are building a space station. 

 

Leicester have just built a new training ground which cost more than ours (£95m) yet I've never heard them saying they can't buy any players because of it. 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the five years since 2015/16, Liverpool have used £515.59m to spend on players but crucially, £408.02m of that has been generated through player sales. For every £100m spent, £79.1m has been recouped as shown below, with most of those departing being fringe players who failed to make an impact under Jurgen Klopp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

What winds people up is the club going on about how clever they are getting commercial deals, selling unwanted players for good prices, generating far more income than most clubs then crying poverty. No other club earns the amount of money we do yet constantly puts out stories to downplay any spending. The only other club I can think of who have done that is Spurs but they have spent nearly a billion pounds on a new stadium. 

 

We always get fed stories that our sponsorship deals are increasing, the main stand generates £25m more a year, the Nike deal will earn the club more money, we can compete with anyone etc. Peter Moore saying we need to break the £500m mark in revenue to be competitive yet they then just make excuses when it comes to actually spending money. 

 

For the last couple of years the only transfer funds available to the best manager we've had for years are just generated from sales, sometimes he hasn't even had that. 

 

Then we get told that it's because of a new training facility. Most clubs have to pay for these things as well as paying staff. The new training ground is offset by selling land at Melwood and extending the academy that was already there, it's not like they are building a space station. 

 

Leicester have just built a new training ground which cost more than ours (£95m) yet I've never heard them saying they can't buy any players because of it. 

I would presume commercial deals have "success related bonuses" in them also step forward the current champions League, Premier league , world club winners. Now I know some sponsor doesn't walk in the day after the win with a big fat check however the money will be paid under whater terms in the future .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-midfielder-can-save-jurgen-18681085?fbclid=IwAR3MB4QRRlE0q1DrXyR40Oh-QB7GZmY6Bo5GJ35ciGpsFTh2iqmb55kVsn8

 

Liverpool midfielder can save Jurgen Klopp millions as Jordan Henderson comparison made

Jake Cain has enjoyed a dream year at Liverpool and Sam Carroll has the inside track on his progress under Jurgen Kloppemetimes they’ll include recomdations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about hoe use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

“So now, the first glimpses of Neco Williams," Jurgen Klopp said earlier in the summer.

 

"Curtis, Harvey, Ki-Jana, Sepp, Yasser, Leighton, Jake Cain: all these boys have done really well."

Eight names. Six of them, surely, you will have heard of. Maybe even seven after Leighton Clarkson scored a stunning goal behind-closed-doors against Blackburn Rovers at Anfield before the resumption of the Premier League.

 

Neco Williams, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott have been breakout stars of a title-winning season while Ki-Jana Hoever and Sepp van den Berg both received media attention after joining from Ajax and PEC Zwolle respectively.

With Yasser Larouci set to exit, that leaves just one more from those specifically name-dropped by Klopp. Jake Cain was last, but certainly not least.

 

Versatile and intelligent, the left-footer can play in a number of midfield roles and has consistently delivered goals and assists throughout his time at Liverpool.

 

In short, he is a Klopp midfielder. Bright on the ball, forward thinking and positive, he has enjoyed a dream year at Liverpool after joining the academy as a nine year-old.

 

Senior debut? Training regularly with the first-team? Another fresh deal signed this summer?

 

Check. Check. Check.

Cain bounced back from the disappointment of being left out of the youthful Carabao Cup side that lost to Aston Villa in the quarter-final in December to play a key role in the FA Cup fourth round replay win over Shrewsbury Town two months later.

The 18-year-old was instrumental in midfield alongside Clarkson and Jones - who he came through the age-groups with at Kirkby - and has continued to be involved with first-team training ever since.

 

He is part of a core academy group that also includes Paul Glatzel, Clarkson and Van den Berg who are pushing to catch the eye of Klopp and Pep Lijnders every single day.

 

Those close to Cain admit that he has surpassed even their high expectations over the last 12 months but insist his quality was never in doubt.

 

Regular observers have told the ECHO his running power and is something to behold and early comparisons to Jordan Henderson have been made.

 

But Cain will take no notice of that. Not yet, anyway.

 

For now, he is targeting a dominant year at under-23 level in the same way that his team-mate Jones - who also agreed a new contract this summer - did last term before forcing his way into the senior fold.

 

Cain has already worked extensively with the first-team in training but the upcoming move to a new £50m facility in Kirkby will give him further opportunities to catch the eye.

 

There is a feeling amongst some that Cain has gone under the radar while others have garnered headlines. But this is somewhat fitting to the personality of the player.

 

"This is just a start for me," he said after making his first-team debut.

 

You’ve got to keep on working hard and wait for the next opportunity that you get. It’s important to keep working hard every day in training and keep pushing. I’ve not cracked it, none of us have and we know that.

 

"I just want to keep on playing more games with the u-23s and keep improving. I want to get more goals and assists but personally I just want to see the team playing well and winning, and be a part of that."

 

Humble and hard-working off-the-pitch. Exciting, dynamic and downright selfless on it.

 

Cain has already been name-dropped once by Klopp. It is sure to be the first of many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chelsea with a transfer ban somehow managed to spend nearly £36m more than us last year. 

 

20200729_212037.jpg

Terrible. Only Norwich worse off.

 

No wonder we failed the way we did this season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw yesterday that we are now the 4th most valuable club in world football but we are broke? I'm sick of hearing about how good our finances are with record breaking sponsership deals when we never seem to spend anything unless its offset with a major sale and always seem broke. Something doesn't add up here.

 

Don't get me wrong I'm not a FSG out person but I think questions do need to be asked. 

 

Last summer we spent nothing with the excuses rolling in about how we could not improve the team and wouldnt spent for the sake of it, this year its the COVID excuse.

 

You can never stand still in football and it sounds like we are going to while our rivals strengthen. With potential sales this summer like @Doctor Troy has just posted that could bring in about £50m which should be immediately reinvested back into the squad. 

 

It's frustrating to see the club do so well but at the same time act as paupers when we should be flexing our muscles showing people and our rivals that we are here to stay and dominate.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

I saw yesterday that we are now the 4th most valuable club in world football but we are broke? I'm sick of hearing about how good our finances are with record breaking sponsership deals when we never seem to spend anything unless its offset with a major sale and always seem broke. Something doesn't add up here.

 

Don't get me wrong I'm not a FSG out person but I think questions do need to be asked. 

 

Last summer we spent nothing with the excuses rolling in about how we could not improve the team and wouldnt spent for the sake of it, this year its the COVID excuse.

 

You can never stand still in football and it sounds like we are going to while our rivals strengthen. With potential sales this summer like @Doctor Troy has just posted that could bring in about £50m which should be immediately reinvested back into the squad. 

 

It's frustrating to see the club do so well but at the same time act as paupers when we should be flexing our muscles showing people and our rivals that we are here to stay and dominate.

 

 

We're not fucking 'broke'! Why do people post this shit?

 

I honestly dont know what some people want. They want lads like Jones, Williams, Hoever etc brought through the Academy, then kick off that we arent buying even 30m players who'll block these lads progress into the first team.

 

They dont want the abramovic or mansour finance model but say we're 'broke' because the club is virtually self sufficient, well run and doesnt run up huge debt.

 

They kick off because Villa spent all their anticipated PL income on transfers, managed to stay in the league with virtually the last kick of the last game of the season while we spent 5m and romped to the title for the first time in 30 years.

 

Fucking strange world if you ask me.

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we being too simplistic - Is it really just a case of having no cash to spend?

 

Our first 11 can compete with any team in the entire world, so we aren't going to splash the cash on a player to replace one of them. That leaves 'squad' players and 'tactical options'.

 

We clearly aren't going to spend a fortune on squad players, and world class players like Sancho and Havertz aren't going to agree to sit on the bench unless we pay them a fortune to do so. But we can't afford to do that and we all accept that. And if Havertz joined, where would that leave Curtis Jones? We have a duty to give our most talented youngsters a chance right?

 

It seems to me that folks are getting anxious because they see rival teams splashing the cash, but thats because they need to. I'm not convinced we need to do the same.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, M_B said:

Are we being too simplistic - Is it really just a case of having no cash to spend?

 

Our first 11 can compete with any team in the entire world, so we aren't going to splash the cash on a player to replace one of them. That leaves 'squad' players and 'tactical options'.

 

We clearly aren't going to spend a fortune on squad players, and world class players like Sancho and Havertz aren't going to agree to sit on the bench unless we pay them a fortune to do so. But we can't afford to do that and we all accept that. And if Havertz joined, where would that leave Curtis Jones? We have a duty to give our most talented youngsters a chance right?

 

It seems to me that folks are getting anxious because they see rival teams splashing the cash, but thats because they need to. I'm not convinced we need to do the same.

 

 

I agree with you. I honestly think it's the green eyed monster, city and chelsea are splashing the cash so why arent we?

 

First thing is city will splash the cash virtually every season. chelsea had a year ban and they're still talking about offloading players to cover the costs but most people seem to be ignoring that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the time we were chucking cash around signing players like Aquilani, Benteke, Balotelli, Diouf, Cissé. How many titles did we win then? Now we've won a title and we're not chucking money around.

 

Be careful what you ask for as you may just get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We're not fucking 'broke'! Why do people post this shit?

 

I honestly dont know what some people want. They want lads like Jones, Williams, Hoever etc brought through the Academy, then kick off that we arent buying even 30m players who'll block these lads progress into the first team.

 

They dont want the abramovic or mansour finance model but say we're 'broke' because the club is virtually self sufficient, well run and doesnt run up huge debt.

 

They kick off because Villa spent all their anticipated PL income on transfers, managed to stay in the league with virtually the last kick of the last game of the season while we spent 5m and romped to the title for the first time in 30 years.

 

Fucking strange world if you ask me.

And those youngsters are ready yeah? What world do you live in where you just promote young lads into a team that is expected to challenge for top honours?

 

You can only do that slowly and carefully without destroying their confidence, Woodburn is a prime case.

 

People are rightly asking where our fucking money goes. No one is asking for state fund owners, no one. There is a middle ground to be had.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I remember the time we were chucking cash around signing players like Aquilani, Benteke, Balotelli, Diouf, Cissé. How many titles did we win then? Now we've won a title and we're not chucking money around.

 

Be careful what you ask for as you may just get it.

You're a plank. For every Benteke theres a Torres. And every Aquilani theres a Coutinho.

 

Posting some bad buys is your way of proving splashing the cash doesn't work? Give me strength.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, M_B said:

Are we being too simplistic - Is it really just a case of having no cash to spend?

 

Our first 11 can compete with any team in the entire world, so we aren't going to splash the cash on a player to replace one of them. That leaves 'squad' players and 'tactical options'.

 

We clearly aren't going to spend a fortune on squad players, and world class players like Sancho and Havertz aren't going to agree to sit on the bench unless we pay them a fortune to do so. But we can't afford to do that and we all accept that. And if Havertz joined, where would that leave Curtis Jones? We have a duty to give our most talented youngsters a chance right?

 

It seems to me that folks are getting anxious because they see rival teams splashing the cash, but thats because they need to. I'm not convinced we need to do the same.

 

 

We need good cover for left back and another option up front, whether that's cover for one of Mane or Salah or a different option if Origi goes or both, that's up to the manager.

Are any of our youngsters ready to fill one of these two or three places if the need arises on September 12th, or 5th October (when the window closes) against top quality PL or CL teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You're a plank. For every Benteke theres a Torres. And every Aquilani theres a Coutinho.

 

Posting some bad buys is your way of proving splashing the cash doesn't work? Give me strength.

I was ecstatic when we won the League with Torres as our striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, M_B said:

Are we being too simplistic - Is it really just a case of having no cash to spend?

 

Our first 11 can compete with any team in the entire world, so we aren't going to splash the cash on a player to replace one of them. That leaves 'squad' players and 'tactical options'.

 

We clearly aren't going to spend a fortune on squad players, and world class players like Sancho and Havertz aren't going to agree to sit on the bench unless we pay them a fortune to do so. But we can't afford to do that and we all accept that. And if Havertz joined, where would that leave Curtis Jones? We have a duty to give our most talented youngsters a chance right?

 

It seems to me that folks are getting anxious because they see rival teams splashing the cash, but thats because they need to. I'm not convinced we need to do the same.

 

 

Nope, its because of a few things:

 

a/ The main players of the team are entering their peak years, so preparing for that is a must

b/ Some of our back up players are not to a sufficient standard. They are ok in cameos and small doses but for any long term absence the performances would drop massively

c/ theres nothing wrong with giving the first 11 a run for their money FFS. Like anything, people can up their game when challenged and it can give fresh impetus to the team.

d/ youngsters can be used like Trent and now Curtis, but FFS don't put them under pressure. Even Trent came through his wobbles but he still had them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm content with what Klopp wants to do. He's not a chequebook manager and we certainly don't have chequebook owners. It's only if the owners stop the manager from managing the way he wants that I have an issue. If the focus becomes purely on net spend, rather than winning, then it's just not interesting to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I was ecstatic when we won the League with Torres as our striker.

Yep a plank alright.

 

Not winning the league doesn't diminish how good a signing Torres was. By your admission was Gerrard shit? Mascherano? Alonso? Hyppia?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • It will be our fault somehow.      The elected Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has been arrested.   The city leader was arrested earlier today by Merseyside Police along with four other men in connection with offences of bribery and witness intimidation as part of an investigation into building and development contracts in Liverpool. Detectives made arrests at addresses throughout the city as well as Ormskirk and Southport.  The arrests are part of "an ongoing investigation", police said today.   Confirming the details of the arrests police said the following five people had been arrested: A 72-year-old man, from Aigburth, has been arrested on suspicion of witness intimidation. A 62-year-old man, from Old Swan has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit bribery and witness intimidation. A 33-year-old man, from West Derby, has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit bribery and witness intimidation. A 46-year-old man, from Ainsdale, has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit bribery and witness intimidation. A 25-year-old man, from, Ormskirk, has been arrested on suspicion of witness intimidation. The ECHO understands that the 62-year-old man arrested is the directly elected Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson.   The Labour Party politician has led the city since 2010 and has been Mayor since 2012. Last year he secured the Labour Party selection to run to be Mayor of the city for a third term at May's delayed elections. A Liverpool City Council spokesperson said: “Liverpool City Council is co-operating with Merseyside Police in relation to its ongoing investigation. We do not comment on matters relating to individuals.”    
    • Wonder if joe Anderson’s arrest will affect the BMD development?
    • Career-wise, Tuchel is basically the German Brendan Rodgers. Did well at a small club, almost did very well at a big club, then got some trophies at clubs where they're a given. He's fine, but before he proves otherwise, you'll be disappointed.
    • Elsewhere, Everton’s stuttering title challenge *sniggers* suffered another blow.   Just a gift that keeps on giving. Taken from GOT.     Crazy league this season points wise we are practically in a title race still. We only had to produce mediocre form in the last 6 games and we’d be near top of not top. If we can catch a bit of form now get players in jan and we can still achieve.
    • Things will get awkward when they have to decide if it's in yet, despite you hammering away like a randy spaniel and grunting like an East German female weightlifter.
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • top casino sites
  • new UK casino
×