You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Let’s be serious, there’s nothing at all in the paper, that’s just a front cover to make money, on a day there isn’t much to talk about.Tour de France is over, hein !

The article is written by the 2 journalists who follow PSG though and they always know pretty well what is going on there. 

They say he might be coming, because he’s likely to leave, but he might not be coming because Madrid is his dream move.

But he’s got time, and he is said to be very impressed by Klopp and by this Liverpool team.

M’Bappé is a clever, bright lad, well thought, and his career is planned years ahead along with his dad.

Wait and see !

Its not happening, he will go to Madrid because they badly need a huge marquee signing (not just Madrid but La Liga in general) to appease the fans. Us going with Nike increased our chances from about 1% to 5%. 

Saying that... If the lad has got his football development at the front of his mind and not the bright lights of galactico bollocks then without a doubt the best club he could join now is us. Imagine what he could become with Klopps tutelage and the players around him.... 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its not happening, he will go to Madrid because they badly need a huge marquee signing (not just Madrid but La Liga in general) to appease the fans. Us going with Nike increased our chances from about 1% to 5%. 

Saying that... If the lad has got his football development at the front of his mind and not the bright lights of galactico bollocks then without a doubt the best club he could join now is us. Imagine what he could become with Klopps tutelage and the players around him.... 

He will probably end up at Madrid, but he’s young enough to go somewhere first. 

It’s pretty clear he will be the one to make the choice, not his clique or agent, or Zidane.  He will think twice, ask advice from his dad, and make the decision. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

BoldNeighboringFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif

Ha, ha. Roggo and his ego -  give me your tired, your poor, your broken masses....

Think he needs to look at a few he’s got on his hands before asking for more.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brendan-rodgers-instruction-leicester-city-4536936

The Leicester City boss does want the recruitment team to discount players on their recent statistics if they have previously shown they have the talent to prosper

ByJordan Blackwell
08:00, 22 SEP 2020

Brendan Rodgers has told the Leicester City scouting team not to overlook “broken” players in their search for transfer targets.

With the rise in the use of analytics and data to unearth talents around the world, a player’s statistics have never been more important.

But Rodgers believes numbers are not the be all and end all, and wants the recruitment staff to consider talents who shone brightly, but who then may have lost their way, the City boss believing he can offer the right

City’s newest signing Cengiz Under is a strong example of such a player, with the Turkey international beginning well in Italy only to fade. He started just 10 Serie A games last season, while he has registered just three goals and three assists in all competitions since the start of 2019.

Rodgers said: “I’ve always done that through my career. Sometimes now in the modern game it’s a lot about stats and analysis and sometimes there are players out there who may not be high on statistics at this very moment when you analyse them, but they have been broken in some way or it’s just not quite worked out.

“I’ve always said to my recruitment team not to bypass the players who were talents and for some reason aren’t quite at the level at this moment.

“I remember Wayne Routledge at Swansea – he was a really talented young player, made a couple of big moves, to Spurs and Newcastle, and at Newcastle it wasn’t quite working out for him, but I knew he was a talent. We took him in and throughout his career there and in my time he was absolutely amazing.

“I’ve tried to look at players like that where it’s not happening for them, so can we bring them into the environment, can we give them an aspiration to get back on track and give them an ambition to be on the right track again?

“You have to want to work, that’s what’s key. You cannot just be a talent, you have to be a working talent.”

Asked how he goes about drawing talent out of players again, Rodgers replied: “It’s a bit of everything. I like to think we have a positive environment and we look to develop players on their strengths, as opposed to what they can’t do.

“If players can know they come in to get better every day, 99 per cent of them want to get better. It’s them genuinely wanting to work and improve, in an environment where you will be coached and understood, then hopefully they can perform to the level we would want.”

• Upvote 1

Even I dont think FSG will shell out the amount of money needed to bring Mbappe here. A very nice thought though. The spanish Government will just give Real a massive tax rebate or something to help them sign him on some mega deal. Dont foreign national footballers get either an exemption from paying any Spanish tax or, a very low rate for 3 years?

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Even I dont think FSG will shell out the amount of money needed to bring Mbappe here. A very nice thought though. The spanish Government will just give Real a massive tax rebate or something to help them sign him on some mega deal. Dont foreign national footballers get either an exemption from paying any Spanish tax or, a very low rate for 3 years?

It's nice to be seriously in the conversation, Mbappe to Liverpool? Makes sense can't see it happening though. 

5 years ago we'd be getting laughed at before we could finish the sentence. 

The reason it might happen is because whilst he will ultimately want to go to Madrid, he'll be able to go there later in his career anyway.

If he came here for 4-5 years, ripped the PL apart, he could move on to Madrid at the age of 26 which is when he'll be going into his prime.

That also makes it more plausible of an investment for the owners. Sure, we might have to splunk some money to bring him here, but the amount we would eventually sell him on for at Madrid would break records. He's a pretty sound investment in that sense.

Then again, all of the above could be and probably is bollocks.

Just now, FrenchEyeGlass said:

The reason it might happen is because whilst he will ultimately want to go to Madrid, he'll be able to go there later in his career anyway.

If he came here for 4-5 years, ripped the PL apart, he could move on to Madrid at the age of 26 which is when he'll be going into his prime.

That also makes it more plausible of an investment for the owners. Sure, we might have to splunk some money to bring him here, but the amount we would eventually sell him on for at Madrid would break records. He's a pretty sound investment in that sense.

Then again, all of the above could be and probably is bollocks.

Yeah could happen I guess if Nike chipped in. He could find the appeal of playing for Jurgen and at a full Anfield, if we ever see such a thing again, very appealling.

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I've three envelopes in my hand here, each containing a slip of paper that reads, 'No, he really doesn't.'

‘I remember as a younger coach taking on the renovation project of a wee player by the name of Steven George Gerrard. He didn’t turn out too badly’.

• Upvote 1