You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well without getting all political, but in a post Brexit world one of the best adverts this country has is the PL, I wouldn't be too shocked if all we did was get rid of the "foreign" quota as it's seen today outside the EU and you can basically have whoever you want from anywhere in the world providing they take the 18 spaces in your squad or whatever. The PL being a destination for the world's top players I don't see any incentive for the government to shut that down 

Not the government.  The FA were supposedly looking at the possibility of opening up more space for home growns and using Brexit as a hat to hang it on. 

8 hours ago, aws said:

Not the government.  The FA were supposedly looking at the possibility of opening up more space for home growns and using Brexit as a hat to hang it on. 

Maybe, but I heard Southgate talking about it recently and he was saying he doesn't care about stuff like that, he thinks the international standard players will break through and play

It's interesting we thought about David. I thought he was the type of forward we would be interested in. Would have been a dream to see him at Liverpool  for me but I'm happy we didn't do it actually because it would have taken him a while to get used to a bigger league and it would have been tough for me to see him struggle. 

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Huge mistake not bringing in another CB. Just get someone in on loan.

I'm OK with that.  I doubt we'd get a better 4th choice centreback on loan than Fabinho.  I'd like us to save the money and get Ben White next summer.

15 hours ago, Code said:

Sorry but being able to read a book does not cut it for me, others might have different standards obviously.

Milner is more than his on field contribution. The likes of him, Hendo and Robbo are crucial to the squad. Its one of the many unquantifiable things in football, the off the pitch stuff we never see. Loads say Keith has been a flop but his arrival pushed Gini to up his game and be a mainstay in CL and PL winning team, the Greek lad may never play but if his presence makes Robbo 10% better then its 13m well spent. Kompany barely played for City but as soon as he left they crumbled.

With Milner you know every training session will be at 100%, if that's his sole contribution then its enough. There are 6 or 7 lads I would have out the door before him.

• Upvote 8

Sky have an article on Palace's £19m bid for Brewster, and this little snippet stood out:

Roy Hodgson is determined to get Brewster in - he first noticed his ability when he was manager at Anfield, and the youngster was in Liverpool’s academy.

Slight problem. The Owl had been told to sling his hook by FSG in January 2011, and Brewster only joined our academy from Chelsea in 2015!

• Upvote 6