You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well I think the risk regards home grown is we have a squad of 25 and we can only have so many non-homegrown (maybe 18? I can't remember). I heard a while back our squad was such if we got thiago, it meant gruic and karius couldn't be in the squad. So now we have Jota, that means those two plus another foreign player (Shaq or origi I would guess) need to go. If chamberlain or milner go, I think we just can't replace them with more foreign players, so it means the 25 places aren't full. But we have some young players like Williams, Jones and bunhead in the squad who don't use homegrown quota as they're young and don't have to be in the 25. 

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Between him and Keita. Keita could go on to be a success but I won't hold my breath.

Difference is Kieta didn't have nearly a decade of being inconstant and injury prone.   Oxocube was never going to be anything other than what we've seen. 

Complete waste of time and money. 

• Upvote 1

There's this fantasy that Klopp would sell Keita. No chance. Unless he would want to go. And Chamberlain is still young, fills the homegrown quota and there are possibly two first team midfielders leaving next summer, in Gini and Milner. It doesn't make sense that we would sell him, again, unless he's the one that would want to go. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, aRdja said:

With Ox’s future seemingly secure I can’t see Naby getting sufficient game time now that we have Thiago in the team. Can’t see him displacing Fabinho or Hendo let alone Thiago.

They don't play in the same position/role so he won't be under threat from Thiago.

Thiago could play Keita's role in the team better than Keita imo. And i say that as someone who rates Keita highly.

Outside of the perennial loanees like Wilson and Grujic the only midfielder I think we'll be getting rid of is Shaqiri, and even then, it will take a decent offer. This season is so compressed that we will need to rotate more than usual.

Next summer is when we'll see more of a rebuild, imo.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's this fantasy that Klopp would sell Keita. No chance. Unless he would want to go. And Chamberlain is still young, fills the homegrown quota and there are possibly two first team midfielders leaving next summer, in Gini and Milner. It doesn't make sense that we would sell him, again, unless he's the one that would want to go. 

Agreed that Klopp would not be willing to sell Keita, unless he wants to go, himself. Given his constant string of injuries, Chamberlain doesn't have a whole lot in his favour to keep him in the fold, except the homegrown aspect. We all know Gini will be leaving on a free next Summer, and Milner is going to stay until he can no longer come tops in the lactate test. So, 2040 or thereabouts, and plenty of time to embed himself in the coaching staff in the meantime.

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

My prediction:

- Gini will stay

- Ox will leave for Wolves

- Leeds will submit a bid in for Milner on the last day and we will accept, and he will play his last season of professional football with them. 

I would be happy to see Milner leave, when he came in today everything slowed down as he needed a lifetime to position the ball for his pass every time.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, aws said:

I'm sure we could manage with a squad of 22 plus the youngsters but it's getting tight particularly as there was talk of tightening the rules as part of the Brexit fallout. 

Well without getting all political, but in a post Brexit world one of the best adverts this country has is the PL, I wouldn't be too shocked if all we did was get rid of the "foreign" quota as it's seen today outside the EU and you can basically have whoever you want from anywhere in the world providing they take the 18 spaces in your squad or whatever. The PL being a destination for the world's top players I don't see any incentive for the government to shut that down