You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

13 minutes ago, J-V said:

He had two good games against us.  The first he missed some easy chances.  Did he do anything else for the rest of the Season?

Watched him in a few other games and I don't think he was outstanding in any. I'm not sold on Sarr at all but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Do have to wonder how wise it is if we are buying yet another attacking player who would be going away to the AFCON next season.

18 minutes ago, J-V said:

He had two good games against us.  The first he missed some easy chances.  Did he do anything else for the rest of the Season?

He was dangerous in general and has lots of potential. He's young with loads of physical attributes. Klopp could do great things with him, despite how raw he is. The issue with him is the price and AFCON. Those may see the deal not be done if the funds are there, but as for the type of player he is/could be, I don't think there's an issue there.

I watched him loads in France and he was used very differently at Watford, where he was played wide on the right and just ran in a straight line and put crosses in. At Rennes he played striker, both wings, etc... If the right coach (like Klopp) gets his hands on him, he can be great. He's not the cleanest player technically, but neither was Mané when he signed. People forget that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was dangerous in general and has lots of potential. He's young with loads of physical attributes. Klopp could do great things with him, despite how raw he is. The issue with him is the price and AFCON. Those may see the deal not be done if the funds are there, but as for the type of player he is/could be, I don't think there's an issue there.

I watched him loads in France and he was used very differently at Watford, where he was played wide on the right and just ran in a straight line and put crosses in. At Rennes he played striker, both wings, etc... If the right coach (like Klopp) gets his hands on him, he can be great. He's not the cleanest player technically, but neither was Mané when he signed. People forget that.

He certainly has raw physical attributes but there is absolutely no comparison between him and Mane when he signed for us. Mane was a far better player (albeit older, I believe) and had proven output in the PL. 

Sarr is some way off that. I feel like signing Sarr would be akin to signing Origi when he first joined. Hopefully he proves to have a much higher ceiling than him.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I’m really not into Sarr. If it’s him or no one, fair enough and I’ll hope to be proven wrong, but I’m praying we go for Daka. If we want somebody more raw, id still prefer Doku. 

Sarr is proven in the league, that’s a huge plus IMO.

Just now, aRdja said:

Sarr is proven in the league, that’s a huge plus IMO.

I think I'd probably disagree with that, but no doubt Klopp knows far more than any of us! So to your point, maybe he is 'proven' in the sense that Klopp has observed up close how he'd perform in this league, particularly against the physicality of it.

25 minutes ago, J-V said:

I don't think he was awful and its hard to judge anyone from that Watford team, but for me, the biggest thing about him is that he seemed to play in straight lines. I watched him a couple of times and was never impressed with his movement or guile, which makes him distinctly unlikely any of our front three. It's the same problem Origi has.

The profligacy is also something that concerns me, Bobby misses enough chances as it is. The thing that I got about Werner was that he was a deadly finisher, same goes for Daka. I really hope we get somebody who just knows how to put chances away.

12 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

He certainly has raw physical attributes but there is absolutely no comparison between him and Mane when he signed for us. Mane was a far better player (albeit older, I believe) and had proven output in the PL. 

Sarr is some way off that. I feel like signing Sarr would be akin to signing Origi when he first joined. Hopefully he proves to have a much higher ceiling than him.

I'm not comparing Mané with Sarr, which would be a lazy thing to do by the way, as they aren't that similar, because Mané was older and more established. And as players, Mané is more of a #10, someone who can drop deep, link play as well as do other things. He's become very complete. Sarr is different in that I think he has the qualities to be a devastating #9 with his pace, running in behind and physique. It's all about the situation and the coach. Our situation and coach is as good as it gets. Could I see Klopp moulding Sarr into a great attacking player? Absolutely. Maybe not other coaches.

What I'm saying is despite being a good goalscorer and a dynamic player, Mané had similar issues with technique where he had loads of games where he looked unable to even control the ball, would trip over his own feet, etc.

8 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I think I'd probably disagree with that, but no doubt Klopp knows far more than any of us! So to your point, maybe he is 'proven' in the sense that Klopp has observed up close how he'd perform in this league, particularly against the physicality of it.

There are loads of good footballers who do well elsewhere but couldn’t cope with the physicality of the league; Mkhitaryan, Kagawa, Di Maria, Falcao, Veron, etc. With Sarr at least we know that the demands of the league wouldn’t be too much for him.