You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

but the thing is their current president isn't their owner. they get to vote the president out every 4 years. so this one hasn't done a great job, previous ones have. i much prefer this model with the club being run for sporting benefit than for the benefit of some random investors. i realise this is something we are never going to change, as we couldn't drum together some type of fan ownership when the club was available for 200m, but I would take what barca have over what we have any day of the week. 

One of the many annoying things about the lack of vision and any type of ability with the Moores / Parry combo is that we could have easily had a decent chunk of fan ownership at the time. Had they had even the faintest ability to organise anything.

It was never doable organised outside the club, but the club should have had the details of every member, every person who registered for the website, etc. 

Parry seemed to work on the theory that the tens of thousands of people on the season ticket list were all touts, and obviously didn’t even bother keeping the list on a computer.

The club could have easily sold 100,000 shares/memberships at £1k a pop. And then some larger corporate chunks over time. It.’s never going to happen now.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Completely agree with this. 

I'm 37 and even those 10 years younger than me seem so fucking different. You can see how the players first spell at Chelsea loved him, Gerrard seems to aswell. All of them players are just over 40. By the time he came back the players had changed, same at Utd they hated him

Klopp ability to connect with younger players is amazing. 

There also seems to be more and more players at the top level that don't actually like football, turn up walk through training, play a game and go home. Don't watch other games, don't know who they are playing etc 

Yeah I think Mourinho might be as well calling it a day. His management style won't work with the kids coming through. He doesn't have the flexibility to deal with the milennial players and the generation after them are probably even more diva like. That's the beauty of Jurgen. He can work with that generation of player and turn them into a coherent bunch of good lads who would take a bullet for each other. 

I was talking with a Spurs fella on holidays and he was telling me that kid  Parrott is the best young talent he has seen there in 20 or 30 years but Mourinho is already clashing with him for hanging around with very rough lads involved in all sorts where he is from. He was saying Mourinho needs to put his arm around him and give him some love. I actually think Mourinho is right not taking any shit from him. If that was say Trent in 2017 or Stevie in 2000, I'd have no problem with our manager laying it on pretty thick with a young lad, regardless of how good he is.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I was talking with a Spurs fella on holidays and he was telling me that kid  Parrott is the best young talent he has seen there in 20 or 30 years but Mourinho is already clashing with him for hanging around with very rough lads involved in all sorts where he is from. He was saying Mourinho needs to put his arm around him and give him some love. I actually think Mourinho is right not taking any shit from him. If that was say Trent in 2017 or Stevie in 2000, I'd have no problem with our manager laying it on pretty thick with a young lad, regardless of how good he is.

He's worried about him hanging around with very rough lads, so he's sent him on loan to Millwall to get him on the straight and narrow?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Desperation setting in would take Bale no loan fee pay half his wages. Worse I would take an out of form Ali as well

I want Alli. 

I reckon he's a natural reserve for Firmino, if he's coached right. 

Very difficult for him to find a proper position at Spurs, with Kane taking the 9 role and Alli hasn't got a lot more to offer, IMHO, in the other attacking roles. 

Goes back to the classic debate on Firmino, and his 'enabling' role for those either side of him.  Kane isn't going to budge from his 9 position, and Alli can't operate wide of him effectively. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I want Alli. 

I reckon he's a natural reserve for Firmino, if he's coached right. 

Very difficult for him to find a proper position at Spurs, with Kane taking the 9 role and Alli hasn't got a lot more to offer, IMHO, in the other attacking roles. 

Goes back to the classic debate on Firmino, and his 'enabling' role for those either side of him.  Kane isn't going to budge from his 9 position, and Alli can't operate wide of him effectively. 

Alli a natural reserve for Bobby? One works his bollocks off and the other is a lazy cunt, not for me Clive. 

Fucking Alli is a natural reserve for the hardest working forward in the game.  I’ve read it all now.  Not only is he lazy he’s a fucking weapon as well and not someone Klopp would want around the team.  He’s never played centre forward in a game and his “out of form” has lasted about 2 years.  We may as well get the out of form Paul Gascoigne in as well.

Gareth Bale as well. Let’s get this guy who takes the piss about not putting any effort in, is massively injury prone and wouldn’t even start for us because we “only” have to pay him 300k a week which is more than any of our starters.  That won’t cause any problems at all.

• Upvote 1

I forgot to add you think Alli needs to move on from Spurs because it’s very difficult for him to find a position as Kane isn’t moving out of the 9 position.  Where is Firmino moving to exactly?  He’s very rarely injured unlike Kane.  Are you going to change the whole formation to move a Firmino back to play Alli up front or just outright drop Firmino?  I don’t know which is more comical.

Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum has reportedly performed a u-turn on his desire to leave Anfield and is now waiting to be offered an extension by the club. Wijnaldum has been heavily linked with a move away in recent weeks, with Barcelona tipped to be his next destination.

New Barca boss Ronald Koeman is said to be keen on taking him to the Camp Nou as he looks to make the squad his own. Of course, Koeman is familiar with the midfielder having worked with him while in charge of Holland. It had been suggested that Wijnaldum was keen on making the move with his Liverpool future uncertain. His current deal is set to expire at the end of the season and talks over renewed terms stalled some time ago. What’s more, reports have also suggested that he would be the man sold in order to fund a swoop for Thiago Alcantara. The Spaniard’s arrival would put some pressure on Wijnaldum’s place in the side.

However, de Telegraaf (via the Liverpool Echo) are now reporting that Wijnaldum wants to stay with the Reds. This comes after he held ‘positive’ talks with Jurgen Klopp regarding his future last week.

They say that Wijnaldum and his representatives are in talks with Liverpool chiefs again as they attempt to reach an agreement. A new deal is yet to be proposed, but it is expected to arrive at some point soon. It is believed the sticking point in previous negotiations was the length of contract Wijnaldum is hoping for. He reportedly wanted to extend his stay by four years, however, Liverpool were hesitant to offer such a lengthy deal with the player now 29-years-old.

It is unclear whether the Reds have reconsidered their stance or if Wijnaldum is willing to commit to a shorter deal. But, it seems progress has been made at the very least after talks originally failed.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum has reportedly performed a u-turn on his desire to leave Anfield and is now waiting to be offered an extension by the club. Wijnaldum has been heavily linked with a move away in recent weeks, with Barcelona tipped to be his next destination.

New Barca boss Ronald Koeman is said to be keen on taking him to the Camp Nou as he looks to make the squad his own. Of course, Koeman is familiar with the midfielder having worked with him while in charge of Holland. It had been suggested that Wijnaldum was keen on making the move with his Liverpool future uncertain. His current deal is set to expire at the end of the season and talks over renewed terms stalled some time ago. What’s more, reports have also suggested that he would be the man sold in order to fund a swoop for Thiago Alcantara. The Spaniard’s arrival would put some pressure on Wijnaldum’s place in the side.

However, de Telegraaf (via the Liverpool Echo) are now reporting that Wijnaldum wants to stay with the Reds. This comes after he held ‘positive’ talks with Jurgen Klopp regarding his future last week.

They say that Wijnaldum and his representatives are in talks with Liverpool chiefs again as they attempt to reach an agreement. A new deal is yet to be proposed, but it is expected to arrive at some point soon. It is believed the sticking point in previous negotiations was the length of contract Wijnaldum is hoping for. He reportedly wanted to extend his stay by four years, however, Liverpool were hesitant to offer such a lengthy deal with the player now 29-years-old.

It is unclear whether the Reds have reconsidered their stance or if Wijnaldum is willing to commit to a shorter deal. But, it seems progress has been made at the very least after talks originally failed.

What I don't understand with these long term contracts, let's say Gini wants 4 years, can't we offer him 3 with a 4th based on appearances in the 3rd year? I'm sure that's what we did with milner in the past and if Gini won't back himself, then that in itself is an issue imo. 

Either way, if they've struck a deal (which I hope they have), then it would seem there'll be no thiago unless they can generate some interest in the fringe players. I'm guessing too we must need to get rid of some foreign players.for squad numbers? (Grujic/karius?)

If I could be arsed I'd go back to the 2019 transfer thread where the top reds were telling everybody that we didn't sign an attacker because the manager rated Rhian Brewster so highly.

James Pearce and his gang of cunts couldn't stop telling us about it. The greatest academy prospect since Michael Owen we were told. And here we are, with fuck all offensive backup, willingly selling our golden child to Sheffield fucking United. 

And you wonder why nobody believes the bullshit being peddled right now about us being broke. Because it's just this year's spin.

Separately - it's a disgrace we're being put in a position that we're having to sell our top youngsters to pay for first team reinforcements. Klopp probably wants Rhian on the books because he loves a player but has been told of the interest and told "well...if you want a first team player, this looks like the only money we can use for it".

• Upvote 11