You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Barca descending back into their late 90s/early 00s-selves. Some decent individuals but not really a credible threat in Europe. Abidal will go down in infamy for the misuse of their funds. If there was an option to sell Messi at a decent fee to fund a rebuild surprised they didn't take it ...

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Barca descending back into their late 90s/early 00s-selves. Some decent individuals but not really a credible threat in Europe. Abidal will go down in infamy for the misuse of their funds. If there was an option to sell Messi at a decent fee to fund a rebuild surprised they didn't take it ...

Man City wanted Messi without a transfer fee! Mind you, losing him would save Barcelona many millions in wages alone...

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Man City wanted Messi without a transfer fee! Mind you, losing him would save Barcelona many millions in wages alone...

i was listening to something on the radio the other day that said not only is messi due his 1m per week over the remaining year of his contract, if he sees the contract out, he gets weighed in with a loyalty bonus of around 50m too. it was this that made them think barca would cave and give him a transfer - or at least a transfer somewhere between 50-100m. that's absolute fucking madness. i know he's brilliant and all that, but is 1m per week not enough on its own (oooops and of course i am forgetting the 9m per year image rights too)?

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i would prefer the barca ownership model if that is what you mean. 

No - not prefer - who has, do you think, done a better job over the last few (or ten) years?

And if FSG should be, shouldn't their owners be sticking their hands in their pockets now to deal with any cash crunch?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No - not prefer - who has, do you think, done a better job over the last few (or ten) years?

And if FSG should be, shouldn't their owners be sticking their hands in their pockets now to deal with any cash crunch?

but the thing is their current president isn't their owner. they get to vote the president out every 4 years. so this one hasn't done a great job, previous ones have. i much prefer this model with the club being run for sporting benefit than for the benefit of some random investors. i realise this is something we are never going to change, as we couldn't drum together some type of fan ownership when the club was available for 200m, but I would take what barca have over what we have any day of the week. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

but the thing is their current president isn't their owner. they get to vote the president out every 4 years. so this one hasn't done a great job, previous ones have. i much prefer this model with the club being run for sporting benefit than for the benefit of some random investors. i realise this is something we are never going to change, as we couldn't drum together some type of fan ownership when the club was available for 200m, but I would take what barca have over what we have any day of the week. 

Yea but we can identify an employee at the top of our chain as well.

None of that keeps their ownership from injecting money does it?

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Yes perhaps City weren't really willing to pay anything for him; if they had been prepared to pay £100 mil say, something close to Juve's fee for Ronaldo, then it'd probably have netted Barca £150 mil or something crazy like that in savings. Seems like a no brainer ..

3 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Villas owners have injected cash as has the hated Stan Kroenke, theres loads of ways they could of injected cash for transfers, barca last year took loans out for around $140 mil for transfers and delayed their ground... 

Villa?? Kinell mate - they are one of the worst run clubs you could name. I am not familiar with how Kroenke injected cash.

Yes -- we could take out a loan and we have delayed our ground.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea but we can identify an employee at the top of our chain as well.

None of that keeps their ownership from injecting money does it?

I don't know what you mean to be honest?

I will try and explain as best I can. I have no say in who is CEO of Liverpool. Or if we inject money.  In fact as much say I have is if I want to renew my season ticket. At Barcelona they have the option to choose who manages the club's resources and vote on those who they believe will do it best and like politicians they get elected based on a manifesto. The ultimate objective at Barcelona is to win things. Will they get it right every time, well of course not, nobody does. But at least that is their objective. Our club is run with the primary motivation of improving the value of the asset for the shareholders. Cups and sporting interest doesn't come into it - it doesn't mean they're mutually exclusive, but it's not the aim. 

So given the choice with fsg or a model that allows Bartomeu , I would pick the option that would allow Bartomeu to be in charge. 

• Upvote 2

@Barrington Womble

I do not know if there is a way for Barca's "owners" to operate outside of their revenue streams other than loans from the government. That is why I questioned it.

The ultimate objective for Barcelona is to sell things. The actual 90 minutes every few days being one of them.

Which they  - with the implicit help of their government - do fabulously. They have won more with this last fella and he becomes the fall guy? 

But that revenue is not even the half of it. It is all the other stuff they sell.

So it might go hand in hand - selling stuff and being good on the pitch.

Don't you think the soci thing is just a paid season waiting list? I mean, if you and your 20 mates wanted to change the vote - what are your chances? I think those decisions are made by a higher/smaller group of fellas than the weekly ham and eggers.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Barrington Womble

The ultimate objective for Barcelona is to sell things. The actual 90 minutes every few days being one of them.

Which they  - with the implicit help of their government - do fabulously. They have won more with this last fella and he becomes the fall guy? 

But that revenue is not even the half of it. It is all the other stuff they sell.

So it might go hand in hand - selling stuff and being good on the pitch.

Don't you think the soci thing is just a paid season waiting list? I mean, if you and your 20 mates wanted to change the vote - what are your chances? I think those fellas are decided by a higher/smaller group of fellas than the weekly ham and eggers.

I don't think selling things is their ultimate aim. Selling things is a means to an end to win things. But the ultimate objective is to win things and if the fans don't like how he goes about it, they'll vote him out. I've no issue with selling stuff if the aim is to invest in the team. That is the cirtuous circle I keep asking about for LFC that we were promised. Even the fucking mental Messi salary, I wouldn't want us paying that, but only because I think we could have 3 or 4 absolutely top class players instead and I may well feel differently had I watch Messi  every week for 15 years or whatever it is. 

Anyway, I don't want this becoming another fsg thread, we've got one of them already. Bottom line is I would take Barca's position over ours every day of the week, even if they have got to embark on a rebuild. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think selling things is their ultimate aim. Selling things is a means to an end to win things. But the ultimate objective is to win things and if the fans don't like how he goes about it, they'll vote him out. I've no issue with selling stuff if the aim is to invest in the team. That is the cirtuous circle I keep asking about for LFC that we were promised. Even the fucking mental Messi salary, I wouldn't want us paying that, but only because I think we could have 3 or 4 absolutely top class players instead and I may well feel differently had I watch Messi  every week for 15 years or whatever it is. 

Anyway, I don't want this becoming another fsg thread, we've got one of them already. Bottom line is I would take Barca's position over ours every day of the week, even if they have got to embark on a rebuild. 

All we need is a Merseyside banking powerhouse to prop us up with loans payable on the never-never.

If I was going to pick a favourable example of a foreign club's ownership and management model, it would be Bayern. Ignoring that they have an awful lot of gobshite media mouthpieces, and ignoring that they pillage every other Bundesliga club for their best players every year, I like the fact that at least 51% of the club is owned via fan membership. The rest comes from large investors who also make up part of the club's board. We are talking titans of industry in various sectors bringing financial management expertise, alongside former players who can balance that corporate side with footballing know-how.

That doesn't mean they always get it right, but the basic structure is so sound that they can achieve sustainable growth on and off the field.

Such a model could never take off in this country because we don't have a history of success with it. In Germany, member-based ownership pre-dates the two world wars.

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

All we need is a Merseyside banking powerhouse to prop us up with loans payable on the never-never.

If I was going to pick a favourable example of a foreign club's ownership and management model, it would be Bayern. Ignoring that they have an awful lot of gobshite media mouthpieces, and ignoring that they pillage every other Bundesliga club for their best players every year, I like the fact that at least 51% of the club is owned via fan membership. The rest comes from large investors who also make up part of the club's board. We are talking titans of industry in various sectors bringing financial management expertise, alongside former players who can balance that corporate side with footballing know-how.

That doesn't mean they always get it right, but the basic structure is so sound that they can achieve sustainable growth on and off the field.

Such a model could never take off in this country because we don't have a history of success with it. In Germany, member-based ownership pre-dates the two world wars.

I don't disagree with any of that, but that is not a model offered by Howie, it was bill Hogan or Barca.

But banks will go to extraordinary lengths for football clubs in this country as man united found out before the glazers did some of their refinancing and we saw with RBS. 

Imagine fan ownership of Liverpool, you'd have all the top reds like Peter Hooton and Dave Kirkby telling the likes of Rashid to fuck off and support Chelsea or Man City at every meeting and that Shankly would be spinning in his grave. 

If anyone from RAWK was on the board they'd ban anyone who disagreed with them. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Imagine fan ownership of Liverpool, you'd have all the top reds like Peter Hooton and Dave Kirkby telling the likes of Rashid to fuck off and support Chelsea or Man City at every meeting and that Shankly would be spinning in his grave. 

If anyone from RAWK was on the board they'd ban anyone who disagreed with them. 

Who from RAWK is on twitter that I can go and terror?