You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

28 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Without signings Naby is going to be crucial for us this season. He needs to provide the element of creativity from midfield that we otherwise can lack. I believe in his ability to do it if he stays injury free. Our season might be heavily influenced by his. 

Hoping Keita kicks on is like relying on a spirit level with no bubble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Without signings Naby is going to be crucial for us this season. He needs to provide the element of creativity from midfield that we otherwise can lack. I believe in his ability to do it if he stays injury free. Our season might be heavily influenced by his. 

It’s not just Keita.

It’s the rarely used / new to the squad players - Keita, Shaqiri, Jones, Williams, Tsimikas, Brewster, Minamino...

If they can move from bit part players to valuable squad players (or better) then hopefully that’ll mitigate the lack of signings. 

Last season felt we won the league with maybe just over the first 11 players (plus Milner, Ox, Matip or Lovren, Keita, errrrrmmmm...). We certainly need more than that this season. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

The trouble is the Naby we were all so fucking excited about signing was fast running, line breaking midfielder. 

Bar a couple of games a season we won’t face opposition suited to this. 

The more clever, subtle passing midfielder is what we need (as well as Naby at his best). 

I want to believe in Naby but I just dont see it now. I thought last season was going to be the time when he stepped up and showed he is a £54m player. Odd flashes here and there admittedly but not enough to confirm my belief.

Id be more than happy for him to prove me wrong this season but.......

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Id be more than happy for him to prove me wrong this season but.......

Injuries obviously haven’t helped but I still have faith.

Although he’s good on the initial press, IMO I think he’s better getting the ball deeper, facing goal & then looking to get 1/2 a yard or play a little 1-2 around the box.

I think he’s better as a deeper lying player, rather than kind of off the left of front 3 like we saw him when we first signed him.

Although I do have faith, I do think this season is make or break. IMO, if he’s not going to nail down a starting position this season, it’s not going to happen. 

Take a look at the numbers, Naby is already a huge contributor when he's on the pitch. His ball progression numbers are off the charts!

I think the issue for Naby is that he continues to give the ball away in really dangerous areas. Like, completely unacceptable, and Klopp hasn't been able to fix it. If he could learn to be better at gauging risk & reward and keep the risky passes when we're in the final third but cut them out in the middle third, he could be a truly gamechanging player.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Take a look at the numbers, Naby is already a huge contributor when he's on the pitch. His ball progression numbers are off the charts!

I think the issue for Naby is that he continues to give the ball away in really dangerous areas. Like, completely unacceptable, and Klopp hasn't been able to fix it. If he could learn to be better at gauging risk & reward and keep the risky passes when we're in the final third but cut them out in the middle third, he could be a truly gamechanging player.

Spot on this post.

The whole Woodburn thing is just so odd.  He was never good enough and never looked like he was going to be.  The odd minutes he was given he looked like a complete shithouse as well.  I know he was only a kid but he was pulling out of tackles in a professional game.  He should never have been put in that situation anyway to be fair.  I seen he was in the Wales squad again this week which probably says more about Wales and international football than him.

The problem for him is that the further he drops down the leagues the less chance he’s going to have because it just gets more and more physical.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him completely out of the game in 3 or 4 years.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

The whole Woodburn thing is just so odd.  He was never good enough and never looked like he was going to be.  The odd minutes he was given he looked like a complete shithouse as well.  I know he was only a kid but he was pulling out of tackles in a professional game.  He should never have been put in that situation anyway to be fair.  I seen he was in the Wales squad again this week which probably says more about Wales and international football than him.

The problem for him is that the further he drops down the leagues the less chance he’s going to have because it just gets more and more physical.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him completely out of the game in 3 or 4 years.

They loved him at Oxford

12 hours ago, Scott_M said:

It’s not just Keita.

It’s the rarely used / new to the squad players - Keita, Shaqiri, Jones, Williams, Tsimikas, Brewster, Minamino...

If they can move from bit part players to valuable squad players (or better) then hopefully that’ll mitigate the lack of signings. 

Last season felt we won the league with maybe just over the first 11 players (plus Milner, Ox, Matip or Lovren, Keita, errrrrmmmm...). We certainly need more than that this season. 

Injuries or lack of injuries to first eleven will define our season . We can cope with out of form players due to  moments of sheer brilliance  something Thiago might  assist with when we haven't been playing particularly well .

Talksport is now just a "discussion" creating shock-jock nonsense talkshow.  They take a contrarian view and spout it to create shock-content and therefore, clicks.  It's just there to create revenue. And I'm not saying that as an upset fan of one of the teams they've spouted nonsense about, I follow them for the comedy element.  Day after day they take the vastly over the top view.  People react.  And that's all they want.  I wouldn't pay them any attention.

• Upvote 2