You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Brewster looks like the type of player the game has left behind. A Robbie Keane or Kevin Phillips, players suited to a 442 and nothing else. He could develop but I can't see it being here.

I think for once I am in agreement with Grinch here. I just don’t think Brewster is quite good enough as yet as opposed to his particular style not suiting the system. I honestly believe a world class no 9 e.g., a peak Torres or an Aguero, and a genuine playmaker like Thiago Alcantara, would take this team to the next level. Best ever category.

24 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think for once I am in agreement with Grinch here. I just don’t think Brewster is quite good enough as yet as opposed to his particular style not suiting the system. I honestly believe a world class no 9 e.g., a peak Torres or an Aguero, and a genuine playmaker like Thiago Alcantara, would take this team to the next level. Best ever category.

Who? Where? There aren't any 

If we ignore Chelsea are we seeing a significant drop off in transfer fees? We're (allegedly) offering £22.7m for Thiago and demanding £20m for Harry Wilson - ignoring their different contracts/ages, how realistic is this? I'm really surprised we haven't see a few outgoings yet. Is a load of business going to get done on deadline day? We clearly have 7 or 8 players surplus to requirements. I'd have thought we'd get something for them!

On Brewster - I'm amazed. I've not seen a lot of him but this talk about him not having the 'all round game' - he did very well in a brief loan spell at Swansea who pretty much accepted he got them into the play offs. He's 20. How about we wait a bit before deciding how good he can be? Only sell with a decent buy back clause.

3 hours ago, JagSquared said:

There’s always someone on the cusp, Werner potentially could be one but that option is gone. 

Werner's a forward in the Salah mould. Not a lone striker. Someone who plays with someone else or comes inside from wide. In terms of "classic" 9's there aren't many great ones at the moment. Haaland was the obvious one. If Jovic could get his act together, he'd be another one. 

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Surprised the conspiracy theorists aren’t already all over this. 

From the same rag whose 'journalists' were telling professional football coaches 'how to beat Liverpool'. Any number of negative articles about Liverpool are shit out by these gobshites almost daily.  I am sorry that I look at this fascist periodical but it's always good to top up my hate. Once again, sorry for giving them clicks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8714235/Heres-stop-Liverpool-begin-Premier-League-defence.html

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, torahboy said:

From the same rag whose 'journalists' were telling professional football coaches 'how to beat Liverpool'. Any number of negative articles about Liverpool are shit out by these gobshites almost daily.  I am sorry that I look at this fascist periodical but it's always good to top up my hate. Once again, sorry for giving them clicks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8714235/Heres-stop-Liverpool-begin-Premier-League-defence.html

Nothing very odd about that. I've seen plenty of 'how to beat unbeatable team' articles over the years.

15 minutes ago, torahboy said:

I didn't say it was 'odd', I stated that it was one of a lot of generally negative articles about Liverpool in that paper. 

Well I generally try to avoid it so I wouldn't know. As for trying to help professional coaches beat Liverpool I'd find it very funny if managers were reading that paper for tips on how to stop us!

8 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

Well I generally try to avoid it so I wouldn't know. As for trying to help professional coaches beat Liverpool I'd find it very funny if managers were reading that paper for tips on how to stop us!

So would I. It's a conceit common amongst sports journalists and arts critics that they believe they can produce so much better than what they view.  Anyway, fuck 'em.