You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Trying to understand our recruitment model now gives me a headache. Whilst we don't go out and buy big names, we also no longer target top youngsters either. 

Patson Daka, for instance, would seem like an ideal purchase for us.

It feels like our entire recruitment model is targeting distressed or depreciated assets, i.e. Minamino. To some extent maybe that's always been the case but our most successful transfers are not ones I'd categorize as that (Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Fabinho, Robertson...all very affordable players who had high ROI, but not wantaways or final year of their contract players).

It's a mix of Premier League proven and age between 22 and 26. 

34 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Trying to understand our recruitment model now gives me a headache. Whilst we don't go out and buy big names, we also no longer target top youngsters either. 

Patson Daka, for instance, would seem like an ideal purchase for us.

It feels like our entire recruitment model is targeting distressed or depreciated assets, i.e. Minamino. To some extent maybe that's always been the case but our most successful transfers are not ones I'd categorize as that (Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Fabinho, Robertson...all very affordable players who had high ROI, but not wantaways or final year of their contract players).

It's what makes pulling out of the Werner deal even tougher to understand. Even at 50m in the modern game he would seem a bargain, fit that profile and even that is too rich for us. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

mate, if we are relying on getting to fucking finals and winning trophies every year we are not gonna last long are we? Every Club will budget per season but no one can outright guarantee they will pick up a trophy.

As many others have said, what would have happened if we hadn't of picked up that prize winning revenue if we are so destitute now? No one can answer that question. 

Anyway fuck it going around in circles. Never known a fanbase to defend a bunch of billionaires. This fanbase has truly lost its fundamental principles. Unreal.

The CL revenue being down in 19/20 probably wouldn't have mattered so much if it wasn't for covid as well.

The 19/20 season will have lost a load of revenue compared to 18/19 because of those two reasons, meanwhile wages and amortisation will have remained about the same. 20/21 will have another huge hit on revenue because fans won't be back in the stadium. We haven't made much if anything from outgoing transfers either, Lovren was the only one we got a fee for wasn't he.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that when revenue goes down, either expenditure goes down too, or debt increases to cover the shortfall.

Go find the Swiss Ramble threads on our accounts if you actually want to look at the facts on this. I'm sure you can type "swiss ramble Liverpool" into Google if you're this arsed.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's what makes pulling out of the Werner deal even tougher to understand. Even at 50m in the modern game he would seem a bargain, fit that profile and even that is too rich for us. 

As I have said he was good value. Also everyone going on about 4 th choice and him being sub for 50 million we potentially had the replacement for one of the front three when they start leaving . Ridulous decision. 

27 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

As I have said he was good value. Also everyone going on about 4 th choice and him being sub for 50 million we potentially had the replacement for one of the front three when they start leaving . Ridulous decision. 

His wage is ridiculous though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I had a dream where we signed Messi, Thiago and Suarez. Could still happen. 

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Fair play to you for having dreams like that. 

All I ever dream about these days is riding Kate Upton.

I know which dream is more realistic.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Exactly. £200,000 a week. We just wouldn't pay that. And I'm pretty happy with our stance to be honest. I just wish we'd buy someone else! 

Are you happy for Origi on 70 to 100k per week to be the guy pushing and eventually replacing one of front three ?  You get what you pay for maybe the free scoring relegated Sarr at 50 million and 100k per week fits the bill ? I know who I would want on the bench for the start of the season. And who klopp wanted 

A summer of Werner  sign up Gini and a backup left back and sell whoever to fund it was what we needed . 

• Upvote 1