You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

49 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Pogba only has a year left on his contract doesn't he? I know for once there's not a lot of noise about him going, but they keep talking of this new contract and it's not signed. I wouldn't be shocked to see them leave. 

He's got one of those 5+1 year contracts, so although it's due to end in 2021, United can extend it until 2022 next year which they obviously will. 

15 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

The Mancs have allegedly agreed personal terms with Donny Van De Beek from Ajax. Fee is €40m. 

Seems like its only us that have been effected by Covid 19 and our finances. Just as well we won the CL and League the past two seasons otherwise we'd be in deep shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

He's got one of those 5+1 year contracts, so although it's due to end in 2021, United can extend it until 2022 next year which they obviously will. 

I don't really understand those contracts. Surely there must be a way to avoid the option? I get it when players have them automatically kick in should they play a certain number of games. I don't much understand this club side option 

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I like van de Beek. I think he would have been a target if we didn't have Keita and Chamberlain. Good engine, technique and finisher for a central midfielder. 

Not sure how United get him, Fernandes and Pogba on the same pitch, but it's depth for them I guess.

I always think he looks like a systems player. Works really well in the Ajax set up but individually he's not that good. He's the next Davy Klassen.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Leeds splashing the cash after giving up on signing Ben White. £120m if both prospective signings go through. 

Villa and Fulham have done similar in the last 2 years and if I recall, like Leeds they carried a few loan players through promotion so needed to spend just to stand still. It would seem this is a strategy some sides are taking to try and nail their position knowing they've at least got 1 years PL money and 2 balloon payments if it goes wrong. 

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I always think he looks like a systems player. Works really well in the Ajax set up but individually he's not that good. He's the next Davy Klassen.

He was always compared to Klaassen when he was coming through. He's better than him though. He rejected the comparison himself and encouraged Klaassen to move (while he was captain) so he could have his place. Good player but not sure he's a good balance in that side. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is shite - made a career off a couple of good games for his country.

Yeah, but he's worked at some great and interesting clubs. Porto, Monaco, Madrid and Bayern. But now he gets to see and play at woodison, watching the opposition come out of a portacabin changing room in the car park. 

• Like 1

Absolutel negligence if we don't improve squad and starting line up,I'm not talking loads of player 2 or 3 would do .If we don't with the other teams that have improved we could be in a fight for 4th ,and if we miss out on that, that is a disaster going forward and that is not on the realms of impossibility.They have billion pound asset you spend to accumulate they would still make a massive profit by protecting there asset with a bit of investment 

Trying to understand our recruitment model now gives me a headache. Whilst we don't go out and buy big names, we also no longer target top youngsters either. 

Patson Daka, for instance, would seem like an ideal purchase for us.

It feels like our entire recruitment model is targeting distressed or depreciated assets, i.e. Minamino. To some extent maybe that's always been the case but our most successful transfers are not ones I'd categorize as that (Mane, Salah, Coutinho, Fabinho, Robertson...all very affordable players who had high ROI, but not wantaways or final year of their contract players).