You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

Christ, Im bored of this saga already, it's like a tv soap opera being played out in a football environment. Couldnt give a fuck whether he stays at Barcelona or fucks off to city for the biggest bag of swag every paid to a footballer.

What I would say is, if he does sign for city, you'll see more of the shite in the premier league surrender 6 points a season to them without a mumour as they'll go 'What's the point, we couldnt beat them before they signed him and wont do now they have.' That despite the fact city lost 9 times, was it, in the league last season?

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

What I would say is, if he does sign for city, you'll see more of the shite in the premier league surrender 6 points a season to them without a mumour as they'll go 'What's the point, we couldnt beat them before they signed him and wont do now they have.' That despite the fact city lost 9 times, was it, in the league last season?

It’s such a bizarre thing, isn’t it? We’ve been Champions of Europe and lost four league games in the last two years to their 13 yet there is very clearly an unshakeable notion that they’re essentially invulnerable and simply don’t lose football matches.

I wish that mentally was around in the early 90s, because I’m sure we’d have won the 90/91 title and been there or thereabouts in 91/92, despite being shit.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nah, Messi going to City would be a disaster for everyone else. He was holding up a decrepit Barca side with no style of play by himself these last couple years. At City they already have a foundation of dominance without him. Adding him to that structure will be devastating. And as for the defending, they'll just sign a defender for a lot of money. 

Barca have been building teams around Messi for the last 10 plus years. At City he would join a group of expensive players that hasn't been assembled with him in mind. He'll probably do well, but it'll be a long way from a disaster for everyone else.

And as for signing a defender for a lot of money, well sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. 

650.jpg

skynews-harry-maguire-footballer_5077093.jpg

• Upvote 2

Liverpool have identified Celtic star Kristoffer Ajer as a potential replacement for Dejan Lovren.

The Croatia international has ended a six-year spell at Anfield by joining Zenit St Petersburg for £10.9m.

His departure leaves Jurgen Klopp on the lookout for new central defensive cover. Since then, they have been linked with a plethora of names. Liverpool were reported to be tracking Sevilla’s Diego Carlos, who has an exit clause set at €75m.

Brighton defender Ben White, who shone during a loan spell at Leeds, has also been mentioned.

They were also said to be on the trail of Schalke’s Ozan Kabak, who is valued at £32m.

However, according to the Daily Star, it was Norwegian giant Ajer who Klopp wants. Ajer is a boyhood Liverpool fan and is valued at around £20m by the Scottish champions. He is a vital member of Neil Lennon’s side having made 49 appearances in all competitions last season.

But any move from Liverpool would surely win the day were the Reds to agree a fee.

It’s claimed Klopp wants the 22-year-old to compete with Joe Gomez and Joel Matip for the right to partner Virgil van Dijk.L

Liverpool, meanwhile, appear to have added another exciting young talent to their academy ranks in the form of Melkamu Frauendorf. The 16-year-old is of Ethiopian descent and has confirmed the move on his social media channels.

Liverpool are yet to confirm the move but confirmation is expected soon.

4 hours ago, WhiskeyJar said:

Apologies but allow me to disagree. Messi is not really needed at City in an attacking sense. If anything him going to City will only exasperate an already on-going issue at City, their defending (fees and wages will most likely play a part). As mentioned they already outscore us so no big change there. In my opinion for City to improve they need a quality CB and defensive midfielder. He may also upset the dressing room with his behind the scenes antics as proven in last few days.

I'm in no way criticising his talent as he is the best footballer going. But him going to City has many drawbacks for their squad.

You might be right. I'm pretty sure you're wrong though. Messi improves any team on the planet imo. This is a player who had 59 goal contributions in 46 games last season. While city undoubtedly could do with a better defence, my guess would be bar playing us, every defeat they had they had more possession and more chances. They can just be really wasteful at times, something that Messi has not been throughout his career. So sure, a better defence would help too, but I can't see how Messi fails to help them. I can also see why lots of teams wouldn't want to buy him but city guardiola has 1 year left at city, if Messi is truly available, he'll be in for him and rightly so. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, The Gaul said:

You might be right. I'm pretty sure you're wrong though. Messi improves any team on the planet imo. This is a player who had 59 goal contributions in 46 games last season. While city undoubtedly could do with a better defence, my guess would be bar playing us, every defeat they had they had more possession and more chances. They can just be really wasteful at times, something that Messi has not been throughout his career. So sure, a better defence would help too, but I can't see how Messi fails to help them. I can also see why lots of teams wouldn't want to buy him but city guardiola has 1 year left at city, if Messi is truly available, he'll be in for him and rightly so. 

They've signed Ake, and they're still all in on Koulibaly. I think anyone banking on city being as suspect defensively as last season are in for a bit of a shock once they get their business done. 

49 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I read today Koulibaly had an average season, following the painful defeat at ACN last July. 

Put it this way, there is no shortage of people who hold the opinion that Chris Smalling was a far more impressive Serie A centre back over the course of last season. I wouldn’t be too unhappy to see either of the Manchester clubs or Everton pay a stupid sum of money for him. 

The idea of us making a move for Messi is so out there that the Echo has, for once, decided to encourage speculation rather than torpedo it.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-headlines-messi-barcelona-transfer-18833442

Liverpool will be behind the likes of Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City in the running for securing Messi’s signature. But if there’s anything that football has taught us in the last few months, it is that you can’t rule anything out.

No pretty sure you can rule us out of signing a 33 year old who will want a total salary of 90ml plus

Messi 90ml per year

Werner 175k week on a 5 year deal and a 50 million transfer fee 95.5 million

Yeah we are in the running to sign Messi

Realistically, only Citeh or PSG could afford Messi.

If I was Barcelona, I wouldn’t be letting him go to an oil ran state with unlimited fund for free either. 

As for his wages, he’d have to accept he’d have to take a sizeable pay cut, probably wherever he went. 

I keep seeing Inter linked with him as well. 

Personally, I still think he’ll stay at Barca. This contract situation will rumble on until past the end of the window and & if they can force an early Presidential election (it’s set for March’21 - Laporta wants back) then he’ll probably get his own way, with a promise of Xavi as coach for the 21-22 season.