You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

All just noise until Bayern conclude their European campaign. Nothing will happen until then so no point getting caught up with it.

He is a class act but for me i don't think it is our most pressing need.

I'd rather see a versatile forward come in to really improve our depth behind the top 3 and a centre half as Gomez and VVD covered by just Quavers Matip is not enough.

Of course sorting those and adding this lad would be brilliant, but lets face it is about as likely as Man City winning a European Cup.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'd rather see a versatile forward come in to really improve our depth behind the top 3 and a centre half as Gomez and VVD covered by just Quavers Matip is not enough.

Of course sorting those and adding this lad would be brilliant, but lets face it is about as likely as Man City winning a European Cup.

A class player is always a pressing need. Signing Thiago also means you have more opportunity to play Fabinho at CB if need be. Wouldnt be much difference between him and some cheap, short term signing we would be looking at if we cant get a top target like Ben White. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

A class player is always a pressing need. Signing Thiago also means you have more opportunity to play Fabinho at CB if need be. Wouldnt be much difference between him and some cheap, short term signing we would be looking at if we cant get a top target like Ben White. 

Nearly 30...swallows up our entire budget probably and we are not exactly short in midfield....although maybe if Wijnaldum is going then that changes.

Personally i'm not that arsed about him - feel we have more pressing needs.

Don't fancy Fabinho at centre half - we do too much of that kind of forcing square pegs into round holes.

Ultimately though if that what Klopp wants and does then he has of course earned the right to be trusted.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Nearly 30...swallows up our entire budget probably and we are not exactly short in midfield....although maybe if Wijnaldum is going then that changes.

Don't fancy Fabinho at centre half - we do too much of that kind of forcing square pegs into round holes.

Ultimately though if that what Klopp wants and does then he has of course earned the right to be trusted.

I agree with this really.  Feels like we should be going for a forward with what budget we have rather than another midfielder where we are pretty well stocked.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

We surely have long term targets at forward, and White is the one most often cited by Pearce et al. at CB. Signing Thiago, in addition to signing a top class player, is basically a short term stopgap that would allow us to shuffle the squad around, like Fabinho CB, like Oxlade forward, until we can get the players we want in those positions. That is the way to look at it, if we are indeed signing Thiago. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We surely have long term targets at forward, and White is the one most often cited by Pearce et al. at CB. Signing Thiago, in addition to signing a top class player, is basically a short term stopgap that would allow us to shuffle the squad around, like Fabinho CB, like Oxlade forward, until we can get the players we want in those positions. That is the way to look at it, if we are indeed signing Thiago. 

No more Ox as a forward, please......be better letting Shaqiri stay and play there.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why do we need a stop gap? We are the top team in the land.

31 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

All in here, buddy. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I saw that - its bollocks.

Ha!

I thought it was a reasonable explanation.

Another one would be that we were becoming a bit sparse on the goal front from January onwards, so adding an extra bit of passing ability in midfield could be a way of Klopp looking to give us extra options there.

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Ha!

I thought it was a reasonable explanation.

Another one would be that we were becoming a bit sparse on the goal front from January onwards, so adding an extra bit of passing ability in midfield could be a way of Klopp looking to give us extra options there.

Don't get me wrong, he is a quality player. He would be a great guy to add - I don't think he walks into our side tbh.

He would get games.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Yeah I agree. If it happens great, but it's not like we'll be left short-handed if it doesn't happen.

Unfortunately if we look at this potential transfer from a FSG financial point of view even at 30 million for a world class player based it cannot happen. Werner and a left back were our team priorities for this year if we cannot afford 50 million and similar to Tiago wages  for Werner then this ain’t happening. 

51 minutes ago, etho said:

All the noise makes it sounds like we'd like him, but for much less than Bayern are quoting.

The Athletic podcast (think it was Simon Hughes) have basically said Klopp wants him, we’ve spoken about him at board level but it’s down to money. 

“Dealing with Bayern is different to Southampton”. 

After everything Klopp has done for the club there shouldn't be any debate at board level. They money is there and with sales thia fee shouldn't be a problem. 

I saw that FSG don't want to spend as they are laying off people in Boston. If that's the case then they are out of order as both clubs are a completely separate entity.

16 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The Athletic podcast (think it was Simon Hughes) have basically said Klopp wants him, we’ve spoken about him at board level but it’s down to money. 

“Dealing with Bayern is different to Southampton”. 

Was similar discussion with him on the Anfield Wrap too

1 hour ago, etho said:

All the noise makes it sounds like we'd like him, but for much less than Bayern are quoting.

Well clearly. Bayern are no mugs. As soon as a PL club make an enquiry, the fee goes up or maybe in this case doesnt go down. But the ball isnt entirely in Bayern's court. Alcantara can talk to other clubs in January and they do risk losing him for free if they become too intransigent.

I suspect too and despite the continued rubbished talked about us being 'skint,' Liverpool have waited to find out how much PL and CL money they'd get for last season before splashing the cash. We now know how much PL money we're getting and soon the CL money will arrive.

Jurgen's not that daft to think even without all the stuff that's affecting the world and football today, that he would have got all his targets this summer. chelsea would still have thrown bucketfuls of money around as will city.

• Upvote 1

On White - it would be exciting to see a CB who can bring the ball into midfield and initiate attacks. I'm struck by the old videos how often Hansen was involved in setting up goals by creating an extra man. The problem though is that we play with two really attacking full backs so understandably Klopp might not want the CB to be out of position. Perhaps it would be most suited to when teams park the bus at Anfield? Or maybe if we change our approach - say our usual full backs aren't available.

I don't see Bayern budging on the price. 

We're the two best teams in Europe by a distance (us a bit ahead of them), and I don't see why they'd try to make things in any way easy for us. I'm sure they'd rather he went elsewhere, and I'm sure others will meet the asking price.