You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chilwell on the verge of joining Chelsea. Says it will be a record fee for a full back. The record is Lucas Hernandez to Bayerm for £68m.

Lampard is under massive pressure to win the title next season with all this spending. He cant say it isnt his team either. Sacked by March, I reckon.

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

He should go to Brest, ligue 1, nice place to live. 

Thought my chance to ramble on about the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk had finally come 40 years after leaving school, but decided to check in case I was making an idiot of myself , and sure enough Brest it is a city in Belarus with the same name,

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chilwell on the verge of joining Chelsea. Says it will be a record fee for a full back. The record is Lucas Hernandez to Bayerm for £68m.

I thought they were just relaxing FFP, are they completely dropping it? 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Thought my chance to ramble on about the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk had finally come 40 years after leaving school, but decided to check in case I was making an idiot of myself , and sure enough Brest it is a city in Belarus with the same name,

You might say that there is a pair of Brests. 

I wonder if those cities have been twinned. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Lampard is under massive pressure to win the title next season with all this spending. He cant say it isnt his team either. Sacked by March, I reckon.

March? Reckon he’ll be gone by Christmas.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Remmie said:

You might say that there is a pair of Brests. 

I wonder if those cities have been twinned. 

No twin city ! Nobody would want to go to Brest, Belarus ! I went to Minsk once, I wasn’t there 30 mn  we were arrested and spend a few hours at the police station , just because they wanted money. Sad country !

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

No twin city ! Nobody would want to go to Brest, Belarus ! I went to Minsk once, I wasn’t there 30 mn  we were arrested and spend a few hours at the police station , just because they wanted money. Sad country !

My wife has been to Belarus many times and really likes it there, I'd like to go one day too. Probably wouldn't want to be there at the moment though. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

And that was 22 years ago I should have mentioned it. It’s still a tough place to go probably. Ukraine is way more interesting, especially Kiev, Odessa or Lviv. Crimea is beautiful , but it’s Fucking Russia now. 

My wife is Ukrainian, we met in Lviv and got together in Odessa. Was gutted Crimea got annexed before I got to see it

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Could you do a post on the transfer thread on the three Lyon players we should look to bring in please?

Here you go, lad. 

For the near future, I'd go Denayer, Aouar and Dembele but they have a lot of interesting players.

Cornet is a really strong wing back, but we don't use those and he's pretty average as a winger. Depay is the type of versatile forward we utilize, but he's coming off a bad knee injury and there's something off about him personality wise. To me, he's a big fish, small pond type of player. Bruno Guimares and Caqueret are good, young midfielders with loads of potential, they are just unproven. Guimares is a deep lying playmaker who also has bite. Likes a foul. Caqueret is just an absolute pit bull. Never stops running and is also tidy with the ball. Leo Dubois is a good right back, but we don't need a right back. Finally, Rayan Cherki is a top young player. Only 16, big potential. 

But the 3 that I would choose. Denayer has a lot of the physical qualities to defend 1 vs 1 which we do a lot of. Seems like a great character and leader. Puts his body on the line, too. He'd be an excellent 3rd or 4th CB.

Aouar next. I don't think he's the best fit for us stylistically. I've never thought that. But his talent kind of speaks for itself. In these big games in Europe Lyon have played recently and against PSG in the league, he's never scared. He receives the ball under pressure and makes things happen on the counter. He's just a really technically gifted and smart player. I think he would take time to adapt like Fabinho did, for example, but if we have the chance to sign him for say 50m, it would be tough to be disappointed. 

And Dembele last. I think he'd be a good change of pace to our regular tactics. He's pretty clinical, he's mobile, athletic, and he's got size. He's not a tank but he can hold up physically against centre backs. Not amazing technically, but decent. If we look in the direction of buying a striker who solely plays up top at some point, we could do worse than him. 

• Upvote 3

Everything I've read(which is limited) has been how much Deepay has matured over the last couple of years, especially since getting the armband. Looks to have filled out a fair bit too. 

What's he got, 12 months left on his deal. Never been to sure about him but if you could pick him up for similar money that you could get for Origi I think I'd be all over it. 

Depay makes sense financially and in terms of his position, but he's just kind of a twat. Selfish, inconsistent. Has acted and intimated that he's better than Lyon quite a few times, although to be fair, he has shown a fire  this season with his character and with his rehab too to get back on the pitch. I don't think he has the engine to do any of what Firmino, Salah or Mane do. He's a false 9 now, but does no defensive work. He's just kind of a bummer.