You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Oh the money is mental mate, that’s why he said Leeds would never be able to afford him this summer. 

His point was Brighton shouldn’t sell him this summer as if they waited a year they’d get double next summer. 

2 hours ago, No2 said:

That's the risk you take with all sales. In hindsight Charlton never should have sold us Gomez for so cheap but on the other hand they sold a lad to Everton for about 11m and he's disappeared off the face of the earth.

This lad could be amazing ( I've never seen him play) but equally  Mane or Aguero could tear him a new one on his PL debut and everything falls to shit and he ends up like Jack Butland scraping by at the bottom of the championship.  

that's pretty much how I was going to answer. If they could get 30m for him this year, while not exactly putting it on red on a roulette wheel, it's not far off that. A tough start to the season and he's dropped and worth about 5m (which is probably when edwards will get interested!).

I think you need to be a certain type of club to be able to go for a signing like him and you also need to be a certain type of club "selling" who is relaxed enough to sit on 30m that could go right down the toilet. My bet is if he moves this summer it will be to one of City, chelsea or Salford and if he stays Brighton will move on another centre back.

I genuinely think we would be more interested at 60m but he had a great season behind him in the PL. I think you can see with the minamino and kostas (sorry I can't spell his 2nd name!) signings exactly where we are with players we sign who are not going to drop right into the team. We're willing to hit around £10m and that's about it - in fact I've just looked at all signings since klopp took over, they have all hit around that number, except those who were supposed to drop into the 1st team. The most expensive being Shaq at under £14m

Edit : and the only ones that haven't been regulars above that price are probably keita and chamberlain. there's no doubt keita was bought to play most weeks and klopp talked recently about how chamberlain was coutinho's replacement, so clearly he was supposed to be a regular and indeed was once coutinho left and before his injury. 

TRANSFERS

Players bought by Jürgen Klopp

Player Club Fee Date
Marko Grujic Red Star Belgrade £5,100,000 6 January 2016
Steven Caulker Queens Park Rangers On Loan 12 January 2016
Kamil Grabara Ruch Chorzow £250,000 15 January 2016
Sadio Mané Southampton £30,000,000 28 June 2016
Loris Karius Mainz 05 £4,700,000 1 July 2016
Joël Matip Free Transfer Free 1 July 2016
Ragnar Klavan Augsburg £4,200,000 20 July 2016
Alex Manninger Free Transfer Free 22 July 2016
Georginio Wijnaldum Newcastle United £25,000,000 * 22 July 2016
Mohamed Salah Roma £43,900,000 * 22 June 2017
Dominic Solanke Chelsea £4,000,000 * 1 July 2017
Andy Robertson Hull City £10,000,000 * 21 July 2017
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Arsenal £35,000,000 31 August 2017
Virgil Van Dijk Southampton £75,000,000 1 January 2018
Naby Keita Red Bull Leipzig £52,750,000 1 July 2018
Fabinho Tavarez AS Monaco £43,700,000 * 1 July 2018
Xherdan Shaqiri Stoke City £13,750,000 13 July 2018
Alisson Becker Roma £65,000,000 * 19 July 2018
Sepp van den Berg PEC Zwolle £4,400,000 * 27 June 2019
Harvey Elliott Fulham £0 * 28 July 2019
Adrián San Miguel Free Transfer Free 5 August 2019
Andy Lonergan Free Transfer Free 12 August 2019
Takumi Minamino Red Bull Salzburg £7,250,000 1 January 2020

56 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

that's pretty much how I was going to answer. If they could get 30m for him this year, while not exactly putting it on red on a roulette wheel, it's not far off that. A tough start to the season and he's dropped and worth about 5m (which is probably when edwards will get interested!).

I don’t disagree, I’ve watched him maybe half a dozen times at most, my ol fella has watched him loads and reckons he’s better than any CB Brighton had playing for them last season. 

His point was that it’s not a gamble even if the price doesn’t double (he’s convinced it will) because they’d have a significantly better CB for a year. 

3 hours ago, No2 said:

That's the risk you take with all sales. In hindsight Charlton never should have sold us Gomez for so cheap but on the other hand they sold a lad to Everton for about 11m and he's disappeared off the face of the earth.

This lad could be amazing ( I've never seen him play) but equally  Mane or Aguero could tear him a new one on his PL debut and everything falls to shit and he ends up like Jack Butland scraping by at the bottom of the championship.  

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I don’t disagree, I’ve watched him maybe half a dozen times at most, my ol fella has watched him loads and reckons he’s better than any CB Brighton had playing for them last season. 

His point was that it’s not a gamble even if the price doesn’t double (he’s convinced it will) because they’d have a significantly better CB for a year. 

We'll see soon enough I guess. I'm not doubting he's a good player (I've seen him a gang total of zero times) as everyone seems to rave about him, I just think money is so big in football now it changes what would normally be easy choices. 

7 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

We'll see soon enough I guess. I'm not doubting he's a good player (I've seen him a gang total of zero times) as everyone seems to rave about him, I just think money is so big in football now it changes what would normally be easy choices. 

It’s gone crazy. 

I can remember being pissed off we spent £18/20m on Robbie fucking Keane, I’d dread to think what the bum would cost now. 

8 hours ago, The Gaul said:

For your viewing pleasure.

Even if he costs £35m this summer, my point is that next summer he'll cost £50m. Or more - if he performs like he did in the Championship it could be Virgil money.

It's a big chunk of the budget, to be sure, but I'd be all for it. The one really big hole we have in the team right now is that if van Dijk gets injured or has to be out for any reason, the defense drops off in a pretty big way. White solves that, and also in 2-3 years as van Dijk heads over the hill and isn't at his best we'll have Gomez and White as a ready-made partnership that could be just as good as van Dijk and Gomez has been.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Even if he costs £35m this summer, my point is that next summer he'll cost £50m. Or more - if he performs like he did in the Championship it could be Virgil money.

It's a big chunk of the budget, to be sure, but I'd be all for it. The one really big hole we have in the team right now is that if van Dijk gets injured or has to be out for any reason, the defense drops off in a pretty big way. White solves that, and also in 2-3 years as van Dijk heads over the hill and isn't at his best we'll have Gomez and White as a ready-made partnership that could be just as good as van Dijk and Gomez has been.

Went to ground 8 times in the first 30 seconds. I'm out.

• Upvote 1

On Coutinho, if Liverpool wanted him, it'd only be because his former manager and teammates were happy for him to return. And if they were happy for him to come back, then it'd be a no-brainer? Even a loan for a couple of years. 

8 minutes ago, A_S said:

On Coutinho, if Liverpool wanted him, it'd only be because his former manager and teammates were happy for him to return. And if they were happy for him to come back, then it'd be a no-brainer? Even a loan for a couple of years. 

We'll sit back and watch him go to arsenal. 

We should get him on loan.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I lasted about 4 mins there before getting bored. As @No2 says he goes to ground a lot. He's like a young dejan! And I know whoever put the clip together is trying to make him look like a ball player, but I don't see him beating the press and getting out that easily in this league. I didn't see anything in that 4 minutes that got me excited.... But to balance that I instinctively hate highlight reals. He's probably a good player, but if we're struggling to find money for deals, I reckon there's less chancey signings. 

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

I lasted about 4 mins there before getting bored. As @No2 says he goes to ground a lot. He's like a young dejan! And I know whoever put the clip together is trying to make him look like a ball player, but I don't see him beating the press and getting out that easily in this league. I didn't see anything in that 4 minutes that got me excited.... But to balance that I instinctively hate highlight reals. He's probably a good player, but if we're struggling to find money for deals, I reckon there's less chancey signings. 

We don’t really need to spend the money on him  right this minute IMO. Our defence is very good as it is. Virgil is still 29 so has a few more years in him. Joe Gomez is young enough, and Matip is as good a backup player as you can find in the league. I’ve come around to your thinking now that Fabinho is an acceptable 4th choice, if we bring Thiago in.

13 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Thanks for the video.

He can evidently tackle and distribute the ball. However I didn't see a single header in that video (although after about 5 mins my concentration started to fall off) and at 6'1'' he would be our shortest CB. That has to be a concern.

The other concern would be his speed which again isn't in the video. We play a very high line, so our CB's have to be up there in speed terms. Is he fast?

11 minutes ago, M_B said:

Thanks for the video.

He can evidently tackle and distribute the ball. However I didn't see a single header in that video (although after about 5 mins my concentration started to fall off) and at 6'1'' he would be our shortest CB. That has to be a concern.

The other concern would be his speed which again isn't in the video. We play a very high line, so our CB's have to be up there in speed terms. Is he fast?

Talking about being short at centre back, I had been wondering if at times with this new left back we might be tempted to stick robbo in there, as VVD wins all the headers anyway. Robbo is a fucking brilliant defender and reads spaces so well and there aren't that many (or in my head there's not) big strikers about any more. I'm not saying it's a long term thing, just maybe something we might experiment with the odd game. Maybe even playing a back 3 at times to give vvd a rest. 

30 minutes ago, M_B said:

Thanks for the video.

Any chance he's the new John Stones?  Great until tested at the defending stuff.

17 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Talking about being short at centre back, I had been wondering if at times with this new left back we might be tempted to stick robbo in there, as VVD wins all the headers anyway. Robbo is a fucking brilliant defender and reads spaces so well and there aren't that many (or in my head there's not) big strikers about any more. I'm not saying it's a long term thing, just maybe something we might experiment with the odd game. Maybe even playing a back 3 at times to give vvd a rest. 

Stick the financial side of the game.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Thanks for the video.

Very good point. One of the reasons Van Dijk is so important to us is he’s so dominant in the air.

Leave him out and crosses, corners and other set pieces is suddenly a far bigger worry. We need another CB that is very strong in the air. The closest we get at the moment is Matip and he’s not really that level in the air despite his height. Also of course his injury record is a problem.