You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

45 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It wouldn't be £50 million on a 4th choice centre back as some people have been characterising it - Matip would become 4th choice.

That said, it's probably moot, as it would come as a bit of shock and contrary to what we've been told if we spent big money on any player this summer. 

Doubt any of the three would be quote unquote 4th choice. There would probably be a rotation based on injury, form, etc...

1 hour ago, J-V said:

Ben White has a couple of Years left on his contract.  If he sits tight for a year we could probably get him for £35m next year.  I expect him to be sold this Year.

2 years + 1 year optional extension according to transfermarkt. Brighton won't sell him this year unless they get an enormous sum.

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

If we signed White then that tactical tweak we’ve heard about would almost certainly be 3 at the back. As it is I think we’ll sign a cheapo Klavan type defender and won’t be going that way.

I think the tactical tweak is Mane in the middle and Origi on the left and then sometimes salah in the middle and Ox on the left. It always works.... always.

6 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Was just looking at this quota stuff.  Of the 8 homegrown players Clyne, Lallana and Lonergan have left the club and another Christie-Davies is surely not going to play.  Trent and Kelleher are the only young'uns old enough to be registered  this year.  Guess we'll be registering a few more older U23's.

Looks like we only registered 15 non-homegrown players w/the premier league last year.  And one of them was Chirivella!

So, not sure what to make of all that.

Christie - Davies was released.

7 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Said before my ol fella is a Leeds fan and  he said there would be no way they could afford White this summer. He also said Brighton shouldn't sell this summer, as he's better than all their current CB's they should keep him this summer and they'd be able to double their money next summer.

He’s quality mate, he’s only going to get better as well.

36 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

He’s quality mate, he’s only going to get better as well.

That was his view. 

Reckoned Brighton could have got £30m+ this summer but they would benefit from him playing in the PL (for themselves) for a year and they could double that fee. 

Said it made no fucking sense to sell him this summer. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

That was his view. 

Reckoned Brighton could have got £30m+ this summer but they would benefit from him playing in the PL (for themselves) for a year and they could double that fee. 

Said it made no fucking sense to sell him this summer. 

30m+ for a player who at 22 has never played in the top flight is a mental sum. He might have all the attributes, but they've never been truly tested. I think it's the type of signing you make if you plan to put him in and give him games or you have so much money, you can afford 30m for a player who might only play in the domestic cups of everyone stays fit. Honestly if klopp rated him and we've the money, I'd say do it, but it doesn't feel like we have the money and it's not like Gomez and matip are shit, they just can't stay fit. The only way I see this happening is if those matip rumours from a few.weeks ago are true and he leaves. But if he does I think we 100% need an experienced player too as going into the season with a player who's no track record of staying fit and one who has no track record is a recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Gaul said:

30m+ for a player who at 22 has never played in the top flight is a mental sum. He might have all the attributes, but they've never been truly tested. I think it's the type of signing you make if you plan to put him in and give him games or you have so much money, you can afford 30m for a player who might only play in the domestic cups of everyone stays fit. Honestly if klopp rated him and we've the money, I'd say do it, but it doesn't feel like we have the money and it's not like Gomez and matip are shit, they just can't stay fit. The only way I see this happening is if those matip rumours from a few.weeks ago are true and he leaves. But if he does I think we 100% need an experienced player too as going into the season with a player who's no track record of staying fit and one who has no track record is a recipe for disaster. 

Oh the money is mental mate, that’s why he said Leeds would never be able to afford him this summer. 

His point was Brighton shouldn’t sell him this summer as if they waited a year they’d get double next summer. 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Oh the money is mental mate, that’s why he said Leeds would never be able to afford him this summer. 

His point was Brighton shouldn’t sell him this summer as if they waited a year they’d get double next summer. 

That's the risk you take with all sales. In hindsight Charlton never should have sold us Gomez for so cheap but on the other hand they sold a lad to Everton for about 11m and he's disappeared off the face of the earth.

This lad could be amazing ( I've never seen him play) but equally  Mane or Aguero could tear him a new one on his PL debut and everything falls to shit and he ends up like Jack Butland scraping by at the bottom of the championship.